Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Why is it so expensive? Because people pay it! That's why!
Sponsored

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
:) Well it looks like I don't have to wait for Christmas. Beefcake stepped up and took quite a bit of the sting out. Should have some Roush axlebacks on the way soon :D. Thanks Beefcake!

RMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby GT 5.0 Premium Fastback
As much as I like the Rousch/Steeda AB's I just could not piece my exhaust together for that much $$. I would just spend a few $$ more and go with something like SW brand at $900.

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It cost so much because...... They can... Supply and demand.....

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
And because its a new model. If you have 30-40k for a new stang.. youre ready to drop $$$ for an exhaust. simple as that !

Sponsored

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
It so expensive because it is now a mid-pipe and axle back. Back on my '01, the cat-back did not include the mid-pipe. The Magnaflow cat-back I bought for my '15 was almost $1k (I bought used).

So if you compare it to what they used to be, you have to add in the cost of doing a mid-pipe and an axle-back.

marylandspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Three reasons...

• A lot of manufacturers are going to 304 stainless, which costs more than 409. Pretty much every "cheap" system someone is mentioning here is 409.
  • Drone is becoming more a important purchasing factor for people. Where manufacturers used to hang the same generic mufflers on each system, they are now designing unique mufflers for every application.
  • Lastly, there has been a big prevalence of manufacturers having minimum advertised price polices. These jack the price consumers pay up because it is a price the manufacturer sets rather than letting the market determine it. It also creates the whole "call us for best price" scenario.
That being said, I always encourage people to give us a call for best pricing before you buy. Many times, we have the best pricing out there and can beat others by hundreds! Our number is 443-730-9428!

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I have been through enough drone in my younger years so paying more for a "drone free" system is not a deal killer for me anymore.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It so expensive because it is now a mid-pipe and axle back. Back on my '01, the cat-back did not include the mid-pipe. The Magnaflow cat-back I bought for my '15 was almost $1k (I bought used).

So if you compare it to what they used to be, you have to add in the cost of doing a mid-pipe and an axle-back.
That still does not justify the price. I purchased a complete header back exhaust for my 68 Barrcuda a couple of years ago. It included the mid pipes with an X cross over, two mufflers, two tailpipes, hangers and clamps. Granted it was aluminized steel but the complete price from Summit Racing was $250. If you assume double the cost for 409 stainless (which it wouldn't be with the labor being the same regardless of matetial) that would be $500.

As I stated before I assembled an axle back system from Magna Flow parts for $130.

The only reason to pay a premium for 304 is if you are building a show car that you want the polished look. Granted 304 will last longer put I keep cars 7-10 years and have never had a 409 system rust out (you OEM exhaust is 409).

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Heh if you think axlebacks are expensive look at some of the catback systems.

Do I personally feel they are overpriced for what you really are getting? Yes

With that said, it won't stop me from buying a ARH catback soon.

racecarmike

Threads
Reaction score
Website
g-stream.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Black
From what i've seen with the systems we produce in house...

Its all cumulative costs

*As was mentioned before but better grade of materials contributes to the cost, some use 304 SS, some use 409 SS, some use coated mild steel.
*There actually is a lot of R&D that goes into them. Fitment, tone, NVH testing, weld stress testing, etc...

*Tooling is another factor be it the jigs, benders, robotic welders, presses. That allows for a high quality product that can be produced in volume.

*Add in a lot of the companies are US based. therefore you paying for skilled/unskilled labor consistent with US cost of living.

*General business costs for operations, marketing, sales.

*shipping these are big boxes and shipping wants their cut too.

*Profits for all. The manufacture has to make a profit and well as there vendors.

You can get much cheaper system with some off the shelf cans/tips and have your local Mullet Mike weld it all up for a lot cheaper. Its all in your preference. If $1500 for a cat back is ridiculous to you then there is a market below that. If that is still too much there is yet another market below that. Eventually you'll get to the pipe delete/cherry bomb level.

There's nothing wrong with leaving it stock either. :)
(did i just say leave it stock was an option? :doh: )
Sponsored

Last edited: