BLK15ECO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 Ecoboost
She's gorgeous! :hail:
:)

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

Care to share the details? More importantly, how is that thing wearing legal plates? Surely it can't be 25 years old yet. Or is it?
It's a 1990, with a manufacture date in March, so just over 25 years. She just landed in the U.S on Sept 6 and finally was on the road last week.

It was a long time dream of mine.

Anyways, I'm the one who swung up and Kevin traded out my plugs and coils.

Now I am curious what the issue is here, and hoping it gets sorted so they can make some passes before our track closes in just over a week :(.

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle Talon
and what address do i give the shipping company for my engine??
Past performance doesn't guarantee future results. :D

While I'm hijacking my own thread, which is fine by me, here are a couple pics of the compound turbo setup currently on the Talon. Some people will spot some interesting things in there. The small turbo is a Forced Performance 3582HTA (billet 61mm), the big turbo is a FP 4505HTA (billet 76mm). The map sensor in this cases limits me to 60 psi. I launch at 55.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
If the devil is real and he indeed uses lusty things to tempts us, his name is Kevin Jewer...

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
She's gorgeous! :hail:
case in point: the man happens to have an r32 around he didnt even talk about...he's the devil i tell you..

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Is it weird that the '88 pickup truck is my favorite of them all? 4g63, 3 speed automatic. It only runs mid 10s but it's a ridiculously good time. We just changed the turbo from an old school T3 50 trim to a Xona Rota (FP) turbo to go for a 9 second slip. It's good for 12 lbs/min more flow and it spools quicker. There's no roll bar/cage so we'll have to go to an undisclosed track in mexico to get it.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
Is it weird that the '88 pickup truck is my favorite of them all? 4g63, 3 speed automatic. It only runs mid 10s but it's a ridiculously good time. We just changed the turbo from an old school T3 50 trim to a Xona Rota (FP) turbo to go for a 9 second slip. It's good for 12 lbs/min more flow and it spools quicker. There's no roll bar/cage so we'll have to go to an undisclosed track in mexico to get it.

you had me at 4g63

really the ones closest to our hearts are the ones we least expect. im a big dsm girl and still the funnest car ever was a small block extreme pickup we threw together one summer. It was a heap, an oil leaking heap, but it could put a smile on a corpse. Digging this thread to death

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Past performance doesn't guarantee future results. :D

While I'm hijacking my own thread, which is fine by me, here are a couple pics of the compound turbo setup currently on the Talon. Some people will spot some interesting things in there. The small turbo is a Forced Performance 3582HTA (billet 61mm), the big turbo is a FP 4505HTA (billet 76mm). The map sensor in this cases limits me to 60 psi. I launch at 55.

Where is the engine..... is it that little thing hooked up to the turbo? :lol: How did this not blow up with out an intercooler and compound turbocharging?
Anyways as a former Skyline owner, current Ecoboost and Supra owner and a person who blew 2 RB's and a 2JZ trying to do things myself, you have my upmost respect. :hail:

Last edited:

BLK15ECO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 Ecoboost
If the devil is real and he indeed uses lusty things to tempts us, his name is Kevin Jewer...
:lol:

While I'm hijacking my own thread, which is fine by me
If I may, since you're talking about sick cars you've tuned, this one had me drooling at the track a couple weeks ago, so sick, and it's in the turbo Stang family ;)

[ame]

Would love to see it run again before the end of the year, so close to the 7's!

Is it weird that the '88 pickup truck is my favorite of them all?
The shock and awe this causes in the stands never gets old

so we'll have to go to an undisclosed track in mexico to get it.
:lol:

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
... Just trying to give an idea of my experience and back ground. None of this is to say that Adam can't help me here. He's been tuning these cars and Cobb in general much longer than I have and he certainly a lot of this figured out...
Hey Kevin. Never doubted your experience/knowledge just cringed a little each time you mentioned 29+ lbs and 13 AFR's. Even though it's your stuff And you can afford to rebuild I still worry..don't ask me why lol. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this eventually. Your successes and failures will help others along the way. Best of luck!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Whatever happens, you can bet I'll share it. :) Things aren't always as easy as many people make it look on the internet. I like to post the failures along with the successes.

I've been in touch with Adam, but today was another 16 hour day at the track, and tomorrow I want to track down the oil leak that recently developed. Hopefully it's something quick and we can get back to work on this.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk

How long has this truck been around? I swear I either saw this truck or something similar floating around the net a long time ago...

55/60 psi. Awesome. I think I can speak for all the traditional forced induction V8 guys by saying the high powered 4 cyl stuff is exciting to learn about.

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
I bought it in 2007, but it didn't really get out until 2010 or so. It ran mid 11s for a while on a 16g turbo, then went high 10s on the 50 trim in 2012 or so. It's definitely been around a while now.

Interestingly, the 50 trim that was on the truck forever was first used in my first compound turbo setup on the Talon in 2009. With an S475 as the top turbo that little 50 trim went 8.80 at 156. :)

The turbo V8 stuff is a good time too. I tune a friend's mustang and help him out with his setup. 427 ci Ford motor, crappy heads, crappy cam, but a nice GT5518 and a Holley ECU, a glide, and 28x10.5s. It boost creeps to 30 psi and ran 8.1 at 170 on pump E85. It makes pretty good power, and probably made 100 passes this year.

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Alright, back on topic for a bit. I took the mustang up to the track last night and a friend met me there with the Ford IDS. We did the misfire neutral profile correction procedure. No change. I did get to make some passes though with the IDS in the car (lol) and ran a power balance test on an actual drag pass. All it showed was that something is wrong, and it affects all 4 cylinders equally. But that is still useful information. We did a number of other checks as well (nothing turned up) and flashed it to the latest stock program. It still ran like shit, and I think it was even more pissed off at the reflash. After a couple pulls on the way home the power came back though.

So this still leaves me with this misfire/surging at WOT issue. And again, it predates the motor swap, and does it even on the stock tune, cobb canned tunes, etc. So it seems to be a physical problem. In sending Adam some logs (thanks again!), the only thing that really stands out so far is that FRP actual doesn't keep up with desired. The low pressure side is fine, and the high pressure side falls off worse with increasing loads. AFR isn't very far from commanded, within 5%, but it is the same pump as before the motor swap. I'll order a pump monday. It needs to be fixed whether it's the cause of misfiring or not.

I also found the misfire count parameter. Not sure exactly what it is or if it's comparable to the test in the IDS, but I did a few pulls with that today on the cobb tune. Some idling, cruising, and a clean pull didn't register any misfires. A sloppy pull shot it up to 2048 misfires. Moving it around in the driveway, it went to 32,000. Lol. Not sure what to make of that.

In the mean time I'm going to get the car back in the garage and pull it all apart and see if anything is amiss. Got to be something going on here.
Sponsored