Sponsored

69 Mach 1 or 2016 GT

BOSS5L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible TY 401A 20"

If I had to choose one over the other, the 1970 Mach 1 would be gone. The 2015 is so much more fun to drive.
Sponsored

bigperm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 mustang conv.
I have a 69 mustang 'vert and a 2015 HT. They are not anywhere near the same car. I rarely drive the 69. The 69 does turn more heads and it is a car people love to talk about. I feel like the '69 is more of a "keep forever" car and it is not depreciating in value. The 2015 is my daily and at this point is way more fun and practical to drive, however I can't see myself keeping it after another daily driver is purchased way in the future. When the newness wears off I will probably drive the 69 a little more often. The 69 is still fun to drive but after a few hours, hot vinyl seats, and the noise wears on me.

I guess for me if the 2015 wasn't going to be a daily driver, or a weekend track car, I would have chosen a classic for the same price. If I could only have one, the 2015 without a doubt.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

If I had to choose one over the other, the 1970 Mach 1 would be gone. The 2015 is so much more fun to drive.
Wow, your '70 is a near twin to the one my buddy sold and I almost bought. His had the white decklid/hood stripes and was Medium Ivy Green (green interior).

Yours looks to be Black Jade?

:thumbsup:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Hum, '69 you said.....

Did a rotisserie that took me 3 years on this one. Miss her sometimes.

OP
OP

DreamingBig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future GT/PP
Montreal Ponies...you just about made me cry!

Ah... but after reading all of these comments my reality is that as much as I want to have one of these in my garage I wouldn't be buying it just to look at it. Or to tinker with it. And yes I can do that. But the bottom line is that I would want to drive it. A lot. Not as a daily driver but quite often when the sun is shining and the time is there. So I think in reality comes down to buying the new one. And maybe someday if luck and money allows it getting the old one

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Montreal Ponies...you just about made me cry!

Ah... but after reading all of these comments my reality is that as much as I want to have one of these in my garage I wouldn't be buying it just to look at it. Or to tinker with it. And yes I can do that. But the bottom line is that I would want to drive it. A lot. Not as a daily driver but quite often when the sun is shining and the time is there. So I think in reality comes down to buying the new one. And maybe someday if luck and money allows it getting the old one
That's exactly why i sold it . I was never using it, afraid i might get into an accident. I had become paranoid. So i dedcided to part with it and get a 2011 GT instead.
Nice thing is the guy who actually bought it from me, lives not too far from here, so i get to see it once or twice a year at car shows.

I put this baby up for sale on E-Bay and had buyers lined up as far as St-Louis.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
That's exactly why i sold it . I was never using it, afraid i might get into an accident. I had become paranoid.
This is why I recommend to people if starting w/ a reasonable body, yet not perfect, NOT to spend the $ to fully restore unless they are completely set on it. Update drivetrain and suspension if they wish a newer 'feel', but a body w/ a few flaws can still be tons of fun w/o the paranoia of maintaining something really nice, it also reduces costs substantially. Heck, this psychology was the motivation for the whole rat rod movement.

Old cars require not more 'work', but more passion, imo. I've only ever worked on new cars, never an old one.

Mentioning spending time w/ family...you can certainly get kids involved if they haven't been brainwashed by video games or apps already. The building or maintenance process can teach kids critical thinking skills, problem solving, fabrication, etc. Knowing about cars and the way they work is an important skill that is overlooked far too often these days, and leaves people at the mercy of unscrupulous shops when something goes wrong.

If you're buying for a thrill factor, personally, the new GTPP is a snore to me. Sure its an awesome car by the numbers, but it's far too refined to give me any tingles downstairs. Old cars driven even at 30% of what new cars can do can and will most certainly get the endorphins going. The new cars are great DDs or if competing against a timer...I can't understand buying one just for weekend cruising.

There's also the reward of knowing you've either built or at least tinkered w/ the car as you drive it - it makes it yours. Driving something that someone else built? There's no pride in it, imo. Anyone can write a check.

Just me...

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Back in the day...

I was looking at a '69 Boss 302 or a brand new '88 Mustang GT. Both were around $15k, but it was never serious; for that kind of money and being newly married we needed a practical reliable car. So, the '88 it was.

In hindsight, the Boss 302 would have been a good investment ($90k today), but I have no regrets. I have had 6 Mustangs since then and still have an '82 GT and of course my '15 EB.

Cheers!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Canted1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Eco Premium PP Auto
Get the 2016 first. Be patient, find a nice Mach, achieve Total Happiness. :D
You will love the family resemblance.
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I had a beautifully restored 1969 Mach 1 428 Super Cobra Jet R model back about 20 years ago. Man, that was one bad boy! I used to scare friends from exceessive acceleration to about 110 mph and that car almost would fly! The car was red with white gut. It even had the blinds on the rear window. Very sharp car guarantee to please any owner.
Sponsored