Sponsored

Sync 3 announced.. No Joy for 2015 Models

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
How delicate...., I cut my nails quite short and am not going to constantly remind myself and be distracted by making sure that enough pressure is applied to the (touchscreen) using the top edge of my fingernail surface to apply enough pressure required to facilitate proper screen functionality. Guess your not old enough to remember the days of Pay Phones with enclosed "Booths" that had bi-fold Doors when a phone conversation was still a private matter and you needed to use your finger to insert into the rotary dial to make a call. The days before the "Selfie Stick" was invented!:headbonk:
Why does everyone go to age? Is that something of insecure old folks? I actually use to use calling collect after school and when it recorded your name I would quickly ramble off a message to my mom but hey bring age into it am I right!

I meant the back side of your nail you know the wide flat spot opposite your greasy finger print....anyways
Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I got a 2016 Mustang GT Premium with Sync 3 - So Far I've played around with it but I have a few bones to pick with it.

Pros

- Incredibly Fast. Its smooth seamless and no lag in any screen. The response is instant and quick like a iPad.

- It pairs with my phone in like 1 second of entering the car. Its incredibly fast and quick. Pandora works great with no lag and sounds fantastic.

- The EQ settings are basic but get the job done. I have the 2016 Shaker 12 Speaker system and after hearing the 2015 rants the 2016 seems to sound better with more base. It could have been the location. I heard the 2015 Shaker at the dealer and the 2016 Shaker at my house.

- It looks VERY promising. Hopefully it can integrate into more things with the car using updates. Climate controls work great and are easy to use. Overall the system is like a brand new iPad with NO APPS....wich brings me to my cons.

CONS

NO APPS... There are few if any apps that work with the SYNC3. I've been searching and searching and only found a few "mobile" apps that work well with the NAV but since I don't have NAV they are useless

Backgrounds. The Plain Blue day and Black night backgrounds are OK... I would like to change my background to something else. I havent figured a setting or found a setting that allows me to do this. I think this was one of the FIRST things ford would have thought of!

NO carplay or Android Auto. I didn't get the NAV because i'm counting on CarPlay and android auto to become available soon. I recently moved to this new area and I'm using a phone as my GPS. Both Dangerous and uncomfortable as I haven't found a mount I quite like yet.
Apps are not coming

They will not integrate either apple or car play.

Pretty sure no more wallpapers in order to "keep things simple"

Sync 3 is a bare bones version of MFT I bet money the hardware is identical they just had a software developer make the most basic UI to increase speed.

Ford promised apps in 2010...

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Apps are not coming

Pretty sure no more wallpapers in order to "keep things simple"

Sync 3 is a bare bones version of MFT I bet money the hardware is identical they just had a software developer make the most basic UI to increase speed.

Source?

As mentioned earlier, Ford is still a listed partner for Android Auto and CarPlay.

Sent from my iPad using Fingers

Reactions: 113

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Apps are not coming

I doubt the CEO of the company would publicly say it is coming and then not deliver on it. This is something a lot of folks other than us car types will be watching - the tech industry will be watching too. http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/30/ford-carplay-sync/

The hardware is definitely not the same. First the screen is capacitive versus resistive. Sync 2 used a Cortex A8 Core in Freescale and a Mitsumi module with Broadcom's BCM4325 chip and also a CS42448 Cirrus Logic Audio Codec. It also had 2GB of DRAM onboard.

I haven't seen the full hardware specs on the Sync3, but just from looking it in action, it isn't as simple as a software rewrite to achieve better performance. If a simpler interface would have fixed all the ills that MFT had then Ford would have implemented it. Likely it has an upgraded processor with more RAM and hopefully a lot better DAC than the CS42448 for some better quality sound.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen the full hardware specs on the Sync3, but just from looking it in action, it isn't as simple as a software rewrite to achieve better performance. If a simpler interface would have fixed all the ills that MFT had then Ford would have implemented it. Likely it has an upgraded processor with more RAM and hopefully a lot better DAC than the CS42448 for some better quality sound.
Not to mention of course the base OS is completely different from the ground up. MyFord Touch used Windows Automotive, based off a Windows CE core; Sync 3 uses QNX, based off a Linux core.

Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
But the most important question is, can you still change the background?

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
But the most important question is, can you still change the background?

Unfortunately not. But with the 'tiles' on the screen, there's not much background to see anyways...

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Unfortunately not. But with the 'tiles' on the screen, there's not much background to see anyways...

Damn lol. Do you know this for a fact? Wonder if they'll add it back in through their OTA updates. Probably not, but wishful thinking.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Damn lol. Do you know this for a fact? Wonder if they'll add it back in through their OTA updates. Probably not, but wishful thinking.

This was reported from people who have Sync3 already, so I consider it reliable. It's possible in the future I suppose, but I don't think they'll add it.

Asonitez

I go 71 in a 70 *REBEL*
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT Premium
This was reported from people who have Sync3 already, so I consider it reliable. It's possible in the future I suppose, but I don't think they'll add it.

Think i should spring for the NAV option then on my Sync3 - I feel naked without nav in a new state.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I doubt the CEO of the company would publicly say it is coming and then not deliver on it. This is something a lot of folks other than us car types will be watching - the tech industry will be watching too. http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/30/ford-carplay-sync/

The hardware is definitely not the same. First the screen is capacitive versus resistive. Sync 2 used a Cortex A8 Core in Freescale and a Mitsumi module with Broadcom's BCM4325 chip and also a CS42448 Cirrus Logic Audio Codec. It also had 2GB of DRAM onboard.

Lol guess you were not around for the introduction to MFT. Many things were promised. Have fun Sync 3 still sucks. I don't care about an upgraded screen or maybe a little bit faster. It looks awful and basic aka Cheap. Enjoy your....tiles.

dda942e109018fcacd4da0882ae0d2e5.jpg

I laugh at people who think a company won't lie to you. Pcc this discussion is useless.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
The only "Apps" I`m interested in are the ones I order before my Entree arrives!

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Lol guess you were not around for the introduction to MFT. Many things were promised. Have fun Sync 3 still sucks. I don't care about an upgraded screen or maybe a little bit faster. It looks awful and basic aka Cheap. Enjoy your....tiles.

I laugh at people who think a company won't lie to you. Pcc this discussion is useless.
You still haven't provided any sources to back up your claims. We have for ours. I get it, you need to rationalize your purchase, but it's no reason to hate on the people who waited for 2016.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Seriously, only someone who (hates) Pizza would consider ordering a Pie from Domino`s unless they were starving to death, using their APP, ordering Online, or walking into one of their dreary Take-Out Stores. Given a choice, I would opt to go Vegan!:cheers:
Sponsored