Sponsored

Performance NOOB! - How do you Drive in Sport Mode??

Asonitez

I go 71 in a 70 *REBEL*
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT Premium
I am a performance car noob. I do not know how or what I'm supposed to do when the car is in Sport mode. I switched it to sport mode once and hit the gas it went really fast seemed to be in 1st gear for a long time chirped the wheels when I started slowing down by taking my feet off the gas.

(Disclaimer): This was behind a KMART Shopping center/Distribution warehouse while waiting for a friend to get off work. So it was safe as safe could be to where I only kill myself.

Questions

1. Do I have to shift myself using the paddles? Or will it shift automatically?
2. If I shift before the car shifts itself (like it did) will it cause the wheels to chirp?
3. I Suppose that this is NOT for driving in traffic or city and more suited to the open highway where you can put your foot in it or the track but correct or confirm please.
4. Can I royall fuck something up by shifting too soon, downshifting too fast from a high gear, braking before the car shifts gear. <-- how can i break my ride is what i'm asking.

Off Topic -

How do I do a burnout if I don't have line lock? Hold the brake and hit the gas for a bit? Maybe after a split second of forward momentum?

Should I disable the traction control if I want to have a smoky burn out start?

Car is a V6 15' with a CAI and soon to be rousch axleback. Eventually a supr-chargerwhen and if it becomes available.
Sponsored

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
Did you buy this car for the sole purpose of eating through tires?

Be careful, whippersnapper!:paddle:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
1. In sport it will shift itself but hold gears longer, downshift aggressively, etc. Once you touch the paddles in sport you have to shift with them 100% until you shift out of drive. I do not recommend driving in sport without paddles. Either drive the car in D or S + paddles. Sport for track use/drag racing.

2. The tires will not chirp if you shift early, it will just slow you do if you are trying to go fast. It makes no difference on if you or the car shifts.

3. Again sport is maybe best for track only it will not shift into 6th gear, like I said before sport without paddles is kinda useless except for drag racing and maybe on a track so you do not have to use paddles.

4. The car will not shift down until it knows it is in a safe range, shifting early doesn't matter (well you should not redline every gear when you are normally driving anyways). Flooring it and then putting it from N to D could cause damage (though there is not a single reason ever you should do that). These things are dummy proof honestly.

For burnouts without line lock, turn off traction control, foot on brake, put it in sport, rev it up to the 2k limit and go, though I do not know if you can do it in the V6. I could never lose traction in my 14 no matter how hard I tried :(

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
Did you buy this car for the sole purpose of eating through tires?

Be careful, whippersnapper!:paddle:
There's nothing wrong with that :headbang::ford::headbang:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Q1, Q2, and Q3 - I assume that your car came with an OM for more reasons than to simply take up space inside the glove compartment . . .

Q4 - Probably not, probably not, probably not, and when you find one please let the forum know what it took.

OT - one of the ways I know of would probably answer part #4 of Q4. Eventually, if not sooner.

Norm

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I drive in Sport mode all the time without the paddles and I like it- it pulls hard and downshifts hard. To each his own. Drive it how you want, the auto trans won't let you mess it up that's the good part of the auto.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Because Sport mode holds 1st gear if you let off the gas, rather than upshifting like it would if you were in D, you can make the car buck just like a manual transmission. This can be bad enough to chirp the tires. It's a little disconcerting, because ATs typically don't do that, ever.

My solution? Drive in D, unless you are seriously driving seriously. Sport gets a little intense in traffic.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I drive in Sport mode all the time without the paddles and I like it- it pulls hard and downshifts hard. To each his own. Drive it how you want, the auto trans won't let you mess it up that's the good part of the auto.
Dang really? I only drive in sport + paddles myself, I only use sport for 0-60 times, etc. The downshifts are pretty cool though.
Sponsored