Sponsored

Below MSRP?

Secondtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350dib tech
Gt350

I'm battling myself but I'm going to wait till next year.But for those who want to pay adm there's somene on eBay saying he can get 3 at 15,000adm
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I can tell you this.

I have had 3 dealers try to call and buy our allocation since I posted on fb yesterday at 7500 over like it was no big deal, especially the r.

the regs are sold, but I'm being told now the r is probably going to have to be 15k over with all the dealers trying to buy it
I was wondering if that would happen. My salesperson told me this might happen at his place. Thanks again for sharing your perspective.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
One of the dealers I talked to even admitted trying to buy out allocations from other dealers. He of course was asking 20k over

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
One of the dealers I talked to even admitted trying to buy out allocations from other dealers. He of course was asking 20k over
More common then you think. I know of one dealer (now retired and sold the dealership last December) in Sacramento who did this. He was big on never over "MSRP" and didn't want to ruin his reputation...so he often sold the "limited" cars to other dealers for above MSRP (he made money) before they ever reached the lot ...his clients never saw the car on the lot with an over MSRP sticker on it because it was never there...Yeah he could have made "more" but it was a way of making extra $$ and still keeping the dealership's never over MSRP reputation.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I proposed to my sales manager that I would buy him and his family a nice dinner anywhere in town if he would sell me the car at $1 UNDER msrp. Sure it'll cost me $200+, but you know, BRAGGING RIGHTS.

I don't think it's going to happen. He told me that since I'm number one on the list, it might piss off others on the list if they heard about it. He's going to ask the owner...

Last edited:

Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
:D
I proposed to my sales manager that I would guy him and his family a nice dinner anywhere in town if he would sell me the car at $1 UNDER msrp. Sure it'll cost me $200+, but you know, BRAGGING RIGHTS.

I don't think it's going to happen. He told me that since I'm number one on the list, it might piss off others on the list if they heard about it. He's going to ask the owner...
I heard that a rear naked choke can be very persuasive. :D

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
I have 29 numbers in my recents right now...that's just today :-D

Some didn't answer or didn't know, some wouldn't give an answer to how much ADM yet, several at high ADM and one honestly said the owner wanted to give he order to the highest bidder...4 people inc me wanting 1 allocation lol

I just made a list fanning out further for tomorrow! Half the time I'm depressed, the other half of the time I find it a fun game to play "find the MSRP" lol

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can see as a dealer with all these people calling around they probably get the feeling that demand is really high. For instance, if everyone called 10 dealerships the dealers would think demand is 10x larger than it really is.

Sponsored

Big reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti FX50S
I was told to wait, so I will...
Good choice, I'm doing the same bud. If it's still a shit show by next April after winter, I'll pick up a '14 Z/28. I'm willing to hold out.

Big reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti FX50S
I can see as a dealer with all these people calling around they probably get the feeling that demand is really high. For instance, if everyone called 10 dealerships the dealers would think demand is 10x larger than it really is.
That's exactly what is happening. People calling 3-4 states around them giving the sense there is more demand for a 50-70k Mustang. Once the first 2-3k are gone, I'm willing to bet they will be easy to find. Even used ones bought by the guys that want it for 6 months to say they had it or the people who are in over their head financially on it.

drmustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I remember the suckers who bent over on the '07 GT500s for well over 50 grand only to see the '08s sell for less than 40 with invoice and rebate.

The friendly neighborhood Ford dealer who will gladly unload an extra $10,000 of your hard earned cash because of the "demand" is the same greaseball who will have every reason why he can't give you 30K for the damn thing in 2 years when you look to get out of it.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Once you pay ADM, that money is gone - it's the fee you're paying to be first on the block. It never shows up later in the used-car pricing guides.

I'd rather play the home version of the ADM Game and flush $10K down the toilet. The end result is the same.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Well VooDooMaster...I offer you a rebuttal...and apologize in advace for how long it is...but you had so much to say. So here tis...

Sounds like somebody needs to take a macroeconomics course and get a better understanding of supply and demand and market economics.
I understand it very well, kind sir. Perhaps too well. In fact I know there are Market studies in progress now to confirm just how bad the entire process is with the dealerships.

You alone are not the market - you represent a part of the market (a very small part). If a dealer did call you - AND EVERY prospective buyer - and asked what you would be WILLING to pay, they could get the absolute maximum price for each and every vehicle they have available for sale. In reality, it doesn't work like that. Dealers charging ADM estimate what they believe they can get for the cars they have available (based on past experience and their knowledge of their customer base) and set the ASKING price accordingly. If they underestimate, they lose profit. If they overestimate, they get stuck with cars sitting there and they either have to hold onto the inventory indefinitely waiting for values to somehow increase - or they have to lower the price to a point someone is willing to pay now.
No I'm not the market. "We" are the target demographic for said product. The Manufacturer Bean counters already suggested pricing based on speculation for what the car should sell for. They get paid a LOT of money to make these projections in order to remain profitable for their company and absorb the costs of production. We already know what the dealers are paying for the car. And we know what we should pay for the car. There's nothing to estimate the prices are there and transparent for all to see. So when you see a sticker for over....WE did not set that price. A single guy did based on his projections of how much he feels he can land a whale for. So in effect a single person is responsible for those jacked up prices... not the public because at the moment there is no line around the block to buy a car that does not exist for public consumption yet.

Using beefcake as an example, it appears his dealership has 3 of 4 allocated units sold at $7500 over MSRP. If he had asked $10k, perhaps all 3 would still be sold - perhaps only 1 (or none). The fact that ANY are "sold" at this point at that price level is evidence enough that there is a market for the cars at that price.
Yep looks that way. But those aren't sold yet. Those are ordered. Those same commitments can fall through between now and the day the car hits the ground or those same people can source the vehicle from a dealer with more realistic prices. Nothing is done yet. And when it does get finalized...who knows?... There might be one or two cars sitting on a lot because the buyers felt like they were getting screwed and balked.

Incorrect. We (buyers) along WITH the dealers set the TRANSACTION prices.
REALLY? Hmmm. I don't remember when I was a salesman ever not knowing what my selling bottom price was and I always remember the frustration of playing the haggling game to allow the buyer to believe they were getting a deal by NEGOTIATING for a lower price than what was on the sticker, When I already knew what I wanted and steered the buyer into my target pricing pocket. IN REALITY The buyer sets nothing in an automotive transaction. You as the buyer are led to believe you do. So again its the OTHER guy that sets the price and knows the wiggle room and plays his hand with everything in his favor to get what he wants. To think anything otherwise is extremely naive.

Correct. The seller decides what to ASK for. Doesn't mean they'll get it. They only get it if there is someone in the market willing to pay it.
The seller presents his sticker price in anticipation of a negotiation knowing what the real price is. If He gets the asking price....job done...whale landed. If he drops a bit... Job done, still sold in the pocket he anticipated. He will allow the buyer to walk before going below the NON-Transparent real selling price.

At any given point in time, for every price point there is a pool of buyers of a certain size. Maximized profits come when the price is set where the size of the buyer pool (DEMAND) matches the number of available products (SUPPLY).
1. We know the size of the pool of buyers ahead of time the limit was set by the people we really want to buy the car from....
2. The Supply is capped at 5k per year.
3. The pricing from the supplier is set.
Granted here.... The Demand can go higher than the supply. But in the ethical world, which we don't live in.... But if we did. Then the price is already known beforehand sooo....I agree with you only if that dealer outright purchased the vehicle. Then its theirs to ask any price for any subjective reasoning and negotiate with the interested party. If they are working on credit...it's technically not really theirs, they are a middle man entity representing .... the people I really want to buy the car from. In that case for a new model vehicle in short supply... I want to pay the prices set by the producer, not the middle man. So if its to a point where I have to become a dealer just to get the fair price then that's where a demand would be set and measurable for a supply without limitations. However in your example we already know all these variable. So for anyone to still pay Beefcake $7500 over...well they're what in the commissioned selling world is still refferred to as a whale.... As for Beefcake there are a lot of harsher descriptions the world has.

You have a certain price that YOU think is fair, reasonable, and affordable. But considering the entire market, unfortunately the majority can't even afford this car. But unfortunately for you and many others, there are buyers who can afford and are willing to pay more. There is a market at the elevated prices (at least until the supply catches up with the demand).
Its far more complicated in the automotive industry. But, I appreciate your attempt to simplify it. However, the fair price is already suggested to the whole world. It was set by those bean counters working for the Manufacturer and therefore WE already know what was determined as a fair price by the people WE really want to buy the car from. Again, I'm willing to bet that if the dealers did take a poll of what we buyers want to pay.... then they'd be very disappointed.

If and when the supply catches up with and surpasses the demand, THEN the cars will be available below MSRP (which is the subject of this thread).
We already know the supply since projections are set by the Manufacturer. Demand can potentially swing either way. Remember now... its why those 2013/14 GT500's (even a BOSS302 by me) and those Z28's are still sitting on lots today and why they will have to drop to a more reasonable price if the dealers want to move them. Unless of course they outright own them....which is of course the seedy nature of some dealerships and why they are pegged with the stereotypes they have today. And why when most people are asked about buying a car the first things that pop into mind are..

1. The Haggling game dealers play
2. Frustration of wasted time
3. A feeling of loss at the end of the transaction

This is all according to Market research studies.

However its the extreme opposite for a single Manufacturer. Called Tesla.

And possibly why these studies have been ordered to try and further restructure the current dealership model. So its more in line with the actual concept of supply and demand.
Sponsored

Last edited: