Intercooler shape

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
IMO not to argue or say one is better than another, anything over stock is better as you start modifying this car. There are allot more options available now and all great in their own right & it pretty much comes down to is your own preference. I initially loved the idea of the ATM intercooler as to not having to remove the front bumper to install & what seemed like a true bolt on but lack of response kinda killed that option . I personally went with MAP, not having to remove the bumper & modifying (removing parts) is a plus for me. The customer service also is great! Anyhow it's your car do what you want with it all anyone can do is just offer an opinion you have to decide what's best..

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
I didn't realize the MAP didn't require removing the bumper. That's a big plus for me too.

Jjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB mustang PP magnetic
Yes MAP & mishimoto intercooler doesn't require removal of the bumper only the bottom splash shield
Just a little FYI, I installed the Ultimate Racing intercooler on mine about 2-3 weeks ago and it has a very similar size and placement as both the Mishimoto and the MAP intercooler and you actually do have to remove the bumper. I doubt that at a core thickness of 4.5 inches you are going to squeeze it in there without banging the core all to hell. If you do attempt it without removing the bumper you are a lot braver than I was because its not hard to take the bumper off and the risk don't out way the rewards. The stock intercooler doesn't come out the bottom it comes off the clip and hinge and out the front because of plastic guards that are just in front of the end tanks. Lethal performance has good instructions on their site for anyone that is a little worried about bumper removal but really it's not hard if you take your time and do it right.

Sponsored

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Just a little FYI, I installed the Ultimate Racing intercooler on mine about 2-3 weeks ago and it has a very similar size and placement as both the Mishimoto and the MAP intercooler and you actually do have to remove the bumper. I doubt that at a core thickness of 4.5 inches you are going to squeeze it in there without banging the core all to hell. If you do attempt it without removing the bumper you are a lot braver than I was because its not hard to take the bumper off and the risk don't out way the rewards. The stock intercooler doesn't come out the bottom it comes off the clip and hinge and out the front because of plastic guards that are just in front of the end tanks. Lethal performance has good instructions on their site for anyone that is a little worried about bumper removal but really it's not hard if you take your time and do it right.
Well from what MAP is saying that you don't have to take the front bumper off to install their intercooler & you don't have to remove the grill shutters as you you do all other intercoolers. Nothing has to be modified(removed) to install their intercooler...most other intercoolers sit in front of the radiator & behind the bumper support MAPs in the stock location.

Jjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well from what MAP is saying that you don't have to take the front bumper off to install their intercooler & you don't have to remove the grill shutters as you you do all other intercoolers. Nothing has to be modified(removed) to install their intercooler...most other intercoolers sit in front of the radiator & behind the bumper support MAPs in the stock location.
Same with Ultimate Racings intercooler it is in the stock location and the grill shutters remain in place or at least you don't have to modify them like some of the taller intercoolers. When you remove the stock intercooler it is held in place by a screw on one side and a clip and tab on the other and once you unclip it there is a maybe one inch long tab on the IC and a slot on the radiator that holds the IC in place on the driverside of the car and after all that is done you push up and pull the IC towards the front of the car and pull the whole unit out the front one side at a time because the plastic guards I mentioned in the other post completely cover the end tanks of the IC so it comes out driver side first then passenger side second and getting the much larger intercooler in there is just as tricky. Once it's installed and the bumper back on there you have maybe 1/4 inch clearance between the bracket that moves the grill shutters and the face of the intercooler. I could take a pic if you would like to see the minimal clearance.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'm not saying it can't be done with the bumper on, but you're going to have a fun time with it. When I was installing my FMIC with the bumper off, I still had a time trying to get the factory out, even with everything removed. If you haven't installed one on your car yet, good luck. It'll be a fun process.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm not saying it can't be done with the bumper on, but you're going to have a fun time with it. When I was installing my FMIC with the bumper off, I still had a time trying to get the factory out, even with everything removed. If you haven't installed one on your car yet, good luck. It'll be a fun process.
They said the same about removing the pcv connection for the catch can..that you had to do it from the bottom which you don't

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
^ I don't see how you can't unless you have small hands. There was no way myself or my two buddies were going to fit our hands there.

Sponsored

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
^ I don't see how you can't unless you have small hands. There was no way myself or my two buddies were going to fit our hands there.
Lol...I don't have huge hands nor little hands but just found the angle. Anyhow just confirmed with Adam at MAP & the bumper doesn't have to be removed..Anyhow I'm just waiting for the intercooler to come in

Jjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol...I don't have huge hands nor little hands but just found the angle. Anyhow just confirmed with Adam at MAP & the bumper doesn't have to be removed..Anyhow I'm just waiting for the intercooler to come in
Just be careful because it would be a shame to ding up a brand new intercooler or break something. Good luck with the removal and install that MAP intercooler looks awesome with the CNC end tanks I wish it would have been out when I ordered mine.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Just be careful because it would be a shame to ding up a brand new intercooler or break something. Good luck with the removal and install that MAP intercooler looks awesome with the CNC end tanks I wish it would have been out when I ordered mine.
I know..:thumbsup: yeah the intercooler looks great & not having to modify the car is a big plus for me:headbang: but I was getting super anxious I held out to see what they were coming out with, I almost bought the FFTEC or the Full race initially but having to modify didn't rub me the right way. Don't get me wrong their intercoolers are great

Jjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's exactly the way I felt about the other intercoolers that's what made me buy the Ultimate Racing one no modifications. I mean it's a new car after all and cutting things off seemed to soon.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
That's exactly the way I felt about the other intercoolers that's what made me buy the Ultimate Racing one no modifications. I mean it's a new car after all and cutting things off seemed to soon.
You really don't have to cut anything. I removed my AGS (which I'd have done regardless) and two other small plastic trim pieces. If I ever went back to a stock FMIC, I could reinstall everything and you'd never know. [emoji106]
Sponsored