Sponsored

What would you do?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I've let a few others drive my stangs over the years but I ask them--I let my buddy drive my 15 and his just showed up--If he invites me to drive I'll give it a go but If he wants me to ride shotgun I won't complain--I ain't asking to drive another mans car
^This exactly:cheers:
Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
My daughter said that if I did not let him drive their relationship may suffer.
And you like the guy after she said something like that?

You should have said okay lets go for a ride...drive to a remote place and make him walk home.

A car ride (which he can test drive himself at a local dealership) should NEVER cause relationship issues. If it does, you don't want him dating your daughter.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I let a buddy drive my new GT on the way back to work from lunch. I figured he wouldn't have any problem with the 6-speed since he has a 2007 GT with a stick. I was wrong ... I was biting my tougue the whole way back because he was driving like he never drove a stick before. I had to give him a bad time later (jokingly of course).

One thing he was nervous about was "going into reverse" when he was trying to go into 1st gear ... so he would accidently put it into 3rd gear and try to start off. I said, dude, you have to pull up on the collar below the shift knob to get into reverse, so don't be wimpy on putting this beast into 1st gear. He also didn't rev the engine up enough between gears and was lugging the engine too much. He was "trying to take it easy" ... dude, rev this beast up some! :doh:

My suggestion to anyone letting someone drive your 6-speed, even if they currently drive a stick, is to have a little training lesson on the shift pattern and the reverse lock-out ring. Also point out that every stick shift known to man is spring loaded and puts the shifter in the 3-4 gear gate. One of the biggest mistakes people make shifting a stick is pushing the lever to the right too far on a 2-3 shift (just let the centering spring do the work!), and going into 5th gear instead. Or pushing the stick to the left too much on a 6th to 4th gear downshift and hitting 2nd gear instead (again, let the spring center the stick in the 3-4 gate!) ... and mechanically over-revving the engine ... danger zone! :frusty: Let the spring loaded shifter find the 3-4 gate naturally ... that's the key to correct manual transmission shifting.

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i thought all that was common knowledge to manual drivers. he should be ashamed of himself.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
how is their relationship going to suffer if he doesn't drive it, lol

theres no way in hell id ever ask to drive someone elses car unless I was really really good friends with them
I will toss my keys to who I want to drive and never ask but I will except a toss of the keys.

Sponsored

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Letting someone else drive

You guys are lucky. I have problems letting my wife drive and she is an experienced track junkie.

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
My one daughter's boy friend came over and my daughter wanted me to let him drive my Mustang (just around the block). I have let my own children, all 4, drive (also only around the block)
My daughter said that if I did not let him drive their relationship may suffer. I can appreciate that as I do like the guy. The trouble was he had not driven a manual in TEN YEARS (since his father had a WRX)
Anyway I let him drive, me in the passenger seat. Till he got the hang of it there were about 5 stalls and shudders
I must give him credit, he did not touch the curb
I hope my clutch is OK
Their relationship was going to suffer if you didn't let him drive your car? Hmm..im not sure i would appreciate someone make that kind of ultimatum.

Sponsored

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My one daughter's boy friend came over and my daughter wanted me to let him drive my Mustang (just around the block). I have let my own children, all 4, drive (also only around the block)
My daughter said that if I did not let him drive their relationship may suffer. I can appreciate that as I do like the guy. The trouble was he had not driven a manual in TEN YEARS (since his father had a WRX)
Anyway I let him drive, me in the passenger seat. Till he got the hang of it there were about 5 stalls and shudders
I must give him credit, he did not touch the curb
I hope my clutch is OK
Tell you daughter she is with the wrong boy. No way in hell I would let that punk drive even my crappy car.

KARR_956

Magnetic Mania
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edson
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang v6
If my sister told me this (she's 17) and my car was a manual, I would do the same as all the others have said. Nobody I don't trust drives my Mustang even if the nation's fate depended on it! And she better dump that manipulator

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Tell you daughter she is with the wrong boy. No way in hell I would let that punk drive even my crappy car.
I would have had a quiet little word with the Prat , and you think he is good enough for your daughter?
What he will do in future if he don't get his way, he sounds like one big lump of trouble brewing
Sponsored