Sponsored

Question about the stupid fake engine sounds pumped through the speakers

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
How is it that it's turned off/disabled?

I tried searching but had minimal luck other than some mic in the rear seat and a fuse?

Anyone care to elaborate? I'm going with an aftermarket speaker set-up and subwoofer and the last thing I wanna hear is fake sound coming out those speakers.

Thanks!
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The only way is to pull the fuse for the entire audio system. It might be possible to wire up an entirely separate electrical run for aftermarket audio system and not include that; haven't heard anybody try.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So the pump fake engine noise through the stereo? In the past, wasn't there some funky tube that ran between the intake system and the interior cabin so the driver could hear more engine noise?

altieryikes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
This is even done in the GT?

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The fake engine sound through the speakers is only on the Ecoboost. On the GT there is a "sound tube" in the engine compartment that is supposed to transmit some of the sounds from the engine compartment to the interior via the firewall, but there is nothing 'synthesized'.

I researched this pretty carefully before buying the car. To me, fake engine noise coming from the speakers would be a deal breaker. It might be silly, but I just wouldn't buy a car with that kind of blasphemy (unless it could be easily turned off).

BMW has been doing this on many of their cars for a few years now.

Sponsored

altieryikes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Ah okay, cool. Whew. Thanks!

The fake engine sound through the speakers is only on the Ecoboost. On the GT there is a "sound tube" in the engine compartment that is supposed to transmit some of the sounds from the engine compartment to the interior via the firewall, but there is nothing 'synthesized'.

I researched this pretty carefully before buying the car. To me, fake engine noise coming from the speakers would be a deal breaker. It might be silly, but I just wouldn't buy a car with that kind of blasphemy (unless it could be easily turned off).

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Yep, BMW's M3/M4 and M5/6 both augment sound in different ways. VW's Beetle, GTI, and GLI use it. Porsche also has something similar in their 991s and Panameras. I'm sure it'll keep popping up on more new cars as sound insulation improves and turbos continue to spread.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
The only way is to pull the fuse for the entire audio system. It might be possible to wire up an entirely separate electrical run for aftermarket audio system and not include that; haven't heard anybody try.
The above is incorrect. This function can be disabled by disconnecting a connector located at the top of the rear window underneath the head liner (near center IIRC. but go to EB section an search this topic to find the specifics. I don' have an EB, so I did not pay that close attention to the 'fix', but they said it was very easy!

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
The above is incorrect. This function can be disabled by disconnecting a connector located at the top of the rear window underneath the head liner (near center IIRC. but go to EB section an search this topic to find the specifics. I don' have an EB, so I did not pay that close attention to the 'fix', but they said it was very easy!
I did this a couple weeks ago and it works. Just pull down the liner in the back and unplug the mic.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I may try this, no need with my new exhaust

Are there any clips or do you just pull down?

Sponsored

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
This.
Why would Ford pump in fake 4 cylinder sounds? If they wanted to fake it, it would sound like a ferarri.
The system is designed to cancel out undesirable tones.
They don't pump fake engine sounds. More like noise cancellation and using certain frequencies to enhance the sound.

Using an after market exhaust can cause some issues as the system is not tuned for it. My sub makes weird sounds at certain rpms

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
One thing I notice is that you can't hear any turbo whine with the windows up, but with it down the sound is pretty clear. I wonder if that's just insulation or the active noise cancellation.
Sponsored