Mustang Ecoboost Check Engine Light

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
What are you logging ? You can't "log" mode 6 data and of course you very well might not have an issue not all cars will of course
In my datalogs, I've logged things such as Ignition Correction values, Knock Counts, etc. If there were misfires, you'd think it'd be picked up (see something abnormal) in those logs somewhere too.

Not only that, I have a Craftsman scan tool, ELM327 Bluetooth module (Torque), and a friend has a SOLUS system (Snap-on). When this stuff started popping up, I checked lol.
Sponsored

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe one has, they stated it might be bad gas, bad oil, spark plugs etc. Pretty much everything that has already been covered. The only thing people have not tried is that battery pull.
Yeah the battery pull with 3 60-40 deceleration no brake and no throttle to relearn the misfire strategy is next on my list

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my datalogs, I've logged things such as Ignition Correction values, Knock Counts, etc. If there were misfires, you'd think it'd be picked up (see something abnormal) in those logs somewhere too.

Not only that, I have a Craftsman scan tool, ELM327 Bluetooth module (Torque), and a friend has a SOLUS system (Snap-on). When this stuff started popping up, I checked lol.
Nope, you need to pull mode 6 data, and I say nope but you might be right but pretty sure you need the mode 6 to see it. Torque can do it, do 3-4 40 to 100 pulls and DONT shut car off then pull the mode 6 report using tq and look for the misfire data, good luck

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Yeah the battery pull with 3 60-40 deceleration no brake and no throttle to relearn the misfire strategy is next on my list
Care to explain how this may correct the issue. Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand this process.

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basically it recalibrates the misfire moniter system, sorta "tunes" for the car since each car is different.

Sponsored

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Are any of the Tuners having this issue? I havent heard of any.. There running the crap out of this car on dyno's and the track with their Tunes. Maybe the aftermarket Tunes take care of the issue or something if its a bad ECU Map from the factory on some of the Eco's.. Im only thinking out loud.. who know's just a thought.. Plus the Tuners are installing colder plugs that are gaped to .28!! These things could make a difference! Hopefully one of them or all of them chime in!!

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First one that chimes in and provides a solution to my problem will have a sale for their tuning platform!

Are any of the Tuners having this issue? I havent heard of any.. There running the crap out of this car on dyno's and the track with their Tunes. Maybe the aftermarket Tunes take care of the issue or something if its a bad ECU Map from the factory on some of the Eco's.. Im only thinking out loud.. who know's just a thought.. Plus the Tuners are installing colder plugs that are gaped to .28!! These things could make a difference! Hopefully one of them or all of them chime in!!

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read on some of the F-150 forums that when they got the similar p0300, many put in some injector cleaner and it seemed to address the issue. Any idea if that may be beneficial on our brand new cars?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I read on some of the F-150 forums that when they got the similar p0300, many put in some injector cleaner and it seemed to address the issue. Any idea if that may be beneficial on our brand new cars?
It probably wouldn't hurt to run some Techron fuel system cleaner through it. It's a bit more on the expensive side, but the general consensus is that you won't find a better fuel system cleaner. I stay stocked up on it.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Maybe if the car had some higher miles and the injectors were gunked up that might help a little but i dont see a dirty injector as being the issue on these new cars with little to no miles on them yet.. Wont hurt to try tho!!

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My thoughts exactly. But at this point I'm willing to try anything. Dealership just told me they have no idea WTF is wrong with my car and will need further diagnoses.

Maybe if the car had some higher miles and the injectors were gunked up that might help a little but i dont see a dirty injector as being the issue on these new cars with little to no miles on them yet.. Wont hurt to try tho!!

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I am driving since week one with the COOB software around. No codes nothing. Running also from day one 91 fuel. I have to re-flash my ECU back when my car gets in the shop. I don't know what would be different with the 2.3 down south in CA to misfire. And I back what TheZman wrote. No point to clean what should be clean. It's FORD what should figure it out.

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
P0300 has been a plague on enthusiasts for years. Because it's not isolated to one cylinder, its usually not the common culprits: coil, plug, injector.

I see 'em when the engine is really lean. So lean it...wait for it...misfires. If it's running rough, this is probably the case. I would be interested in seeing the fuel trims to confirm.

I sticky VVT actuator could do it too. Too much overlap: misfires.

Also, just the general variance in the ignition timing parts can stack up to issues. Dunno if Ford is the same way, but GM keys their cam and crank sensors to each ECU.

It's gonna take a skilled tech or engineer to get to the bottom of it. Any messing the OP does will just make their job harder and give them reason to void the warranty.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
So I contacted speedprotege, who had this problem on his ecoboost. His check engine light has never come back and I asked him what the dealership did. He said that they cleaned his spark plugs and the light is still off.

Another guy (with a GT) said that one of the pins on the connectors to the EVAP system was bent and that fixed it and he has no problems now.

Toothless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
I had a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo model that had this issue when starting cold. It was also a direct injection turbo 4 cylinder. It turned out to be a coating on the inside of the high pressure fuel lines that was coming off and clogging the injectors. At low flow they wouldn't flow consistently. They replaced the high pressure fuel line and the injectors twice before getting the problem fixed. The first time was at 11k miles on the car, and the 2nd time at 17k miles. Then 50k miles and no problems when I got rid of it. MY guess would be an injector related (clogged issue). The ethanol in the fuel was causing the coating to come off. There was evidentually a TSB for the problem. I was one of the lucky ones that had a problem car.
Sponsored