Supercharger downfalls?

christiano1245

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
christian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base gt with PP
Okay so I see the hype on the supercharger but i don't know much about them . I know a lot about cars just not much about superchargers.I use the car as a DD so how much would this shorten the life of the car ? potential problems? what will i need to upgrade before ?camshafts etc?
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
With a good tune and within reasonable boost levels, it'll last forever.

Only down side is the cost.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The cost is a downside, as well as the hit on fuel economy. They have a bypass valve so the supercharger doesn't build boost, but I still haven't seen an actual real world proof that it keeps the fuel economy from tanking as the system is still belt driven.

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
In reference to a low boost, IE 9# intercooled or 6# non-intercooled application, here are my thoughts on your questions: How much the life of the motor is "shortened" depends on a number of factors, the biggest of which is how often you have your right foot on the floorboard with the accelerator sandwiched in between. I have a blown 03 running 11# of boost that has 100K on the original motor. I am just now starting to sense (smell) a little fuel blow-by in the oil. Only issues I've had were spark plugs blown out of the heads which is common with the 2v engine. Poor design from Ford. This car was a DD that saw track use on the weekends. Potential problems go hand-in-hand with the first question. Both of these factors have two huge influences: your choice of quality components and regular maintenance. Cut corners on either and you'll have problems AND shorten the life of the engine. Choose a quality S/C kit that contains all of the needed parts, a quality tune, a quality clutch for a manual, and maintain the vehicle regularly and it will serve you well. As for upgrades, again for low boost applications, cams are not necessary, but they will wake it up considerably. You will always have to use premium fuel. Never let the fuel level fall below 1/4 tank and risk the pickup going dry and leaning out the engine, you MUST upgrade the tune, exhaust upgrade is recommended as is a freer flowing CAI, and as previously mentioned, upgraded clutch, bearing and pressure plate. Increased fuel pump capacity and spark are also recommended, and at a minimum, 1 heat range lower temp spark plugs.

I'm sure I am missing things, but this should give you a starting point.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
With a good tune and within reasonable boost levels, it'll last forever.

Only down side is the cost.
I know I am in the wrong subsection but can the same said for the Ecoboost? (Good tune with reasonable boost last forever)?

Sponsored

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
The cost is a downside, as well as the hit on fuel economy. They have a bypass valve so the supercharger doesn't build boost, but I still haven't seen an actual real world proof that it keeps the fuel economy from tanking as the system is still belt driven.
Fuel Economy goes up, actually WAY up in these 5.0L cars/trucks.

When we build a tune for these cars we optimize areas that aren't even "supercharger" related. So the cars pick up MPG's while just driving down the road, under normal usage.

There is already three of our customers on this board with our system, actively talking about the MPG increases.

The F-150 guys, are all crazy excited because they are getting anywhere from 20-25mpg's on the highway. (yes on a truck that used to get 14-17mpg)

Okay so I see the hype on the supercharger but i don't know much about them . I know a lot about cars just not much about superchargers.I use the car as a DD so how much would this shorten the life of the car ? potential problems? what will i need to upgrade before ?camshafts etc?
Keeping boost levels safe, and the safe tune installed, you will enjoy literally YEARS AND YEARS of happy supercharged life, with an extra 200+HP under your feet.

If you turn up the boost/power you will need to purchase supporting parts. However if long term reliability is your thing, just bolt on the system and enjoy. :)

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Fuel Economy goes up, actually WAY up in these 5.0L cars/trucks.

When we build a tune for these cars we optimize areas that aren't even "supercharger" related. So the cars pick up MPG's while just driving down the road, under normal usage.

There is already three of our customers on this board with our system, actively talking about the MPG increases.

The F-150 guys, are all crazy excited because they are getting anywhere from 20-25mpg's on the highway. (yes on a truck that used to get 14-17mpg)
Sorry, should've clarified. Centrifugal superchargers will see less parasitic loss than the positive displacement superchargers, but I'd be curious to see the data on those mpg gains regardless. They must not be hitting any boost to get those mpg levels. I can see a centrifugal supercharger tune gaining some mpg up to the point that boost starts to be added, but there's no way there will be a mpg gain with spirited driving. Your fuel economy is going way down.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Sorry, should've clarified. Centrifugal superchargers will see less parasitic loss than the positive displacement superchargers, but I'd be curious to see the data on those mpg gains regardless. They must not be hitting any boost to get those mpg levels. I can see a centrifugal supercharger tune gaining some mpg up to the point that boost starts to be added, but there's no way there will be a mpg gain with spirited driving. Your fuel economy is going way down.
Well thats 100% correct.

It takes fuel to make HP, so naturally no matter what power adder you have under WOT they will take basically the same amount of fuel under WOT for a given HP rating.

However, while driving down the road our systems have some advantages due to the low low low low nearly none existent parasitic loss, while driving "normal" around town/highway, as most people spend 95% of their driving. :)

However we have had people trade their EcoBoost trucks to get F-150's with 5.0L's and ProChargers. Since they could win in the HP department, and in MPG's at the end of the day. And THAT speaks volumes.

Now if you drive your Mustang like a 16 year old boy that just his first V8 leaving black marks all over town, well we can't help you there. ;)

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I've posted before in a couple other threads that my "normal" driving MPG's have stayed consistent, or even gone up as ProChargerTECH has stated. I hopped on the highway, averaged 75 - 80mph for a 30 mile drive and was able to maintain 27MPG in a GT + PP with the H.O. ProCharger system. I'd say that the average is 24 - 25MPG (highway) from what I've seen over the last 500 miles or so. That's what Ford advertises stock, but is rarely seen, IMO.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Gas mileage is mainly dependant on your driving habits. For the first 7 days of owning my car, I averaged 13.3mpg with my car being stock. Now I am having all the parts in my sig installed.

Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Downfalls.......hmm.......

Heat and traction

Maybe the need to buy more tires.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

I am real world proof. My 11 tvs got better gas mileage after the blower with a good tune than stock (82mm pulley, 585 whp). As long as you drive normally. Your gas mileage WILL be affected by using more power which you tend to do, especially at the beginning of ownership.

It takes very very little horsepower to spin the rotors with the bypass valve open aka, not in boost) just putting around. You can spin the damn thing with a 3/8" drill motor just as easy as a centrifugal (yes I've done both!) with no way to build pressure.

There's is a whole lot of misunderstanding on this site of how blowers/turbos work (and I mean all types of forced induction here). Some vendors try to clarify it but actually make it worse trying to put the spin on their own product. Things they are talking about matter in super high horsepower cars, but in 99.9% of the members here applications, it won't mean an fart in the wind.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Gas mileage is mainly dependant on your driving habits. For the first 7 days of owning my car, I averaged 13.3mpg with my car being stock. Now I am having all the parts in my sig installed.
I just passed my 7th day and my trip average is exactly 13.3. So I know what you did :lol: