Sponsored

So I locked myself out of my car on Valentine's weekend....

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Race Red
Sparing all of the details of this most wonderful weekend, it nearly ended in disaster. Well, it did, but clear minds and proper roadside insurance prevailed:

I locked myself out of my car. With the engine running.

:frusty:

We were leaving our weekend retreat (a secluded cabin in the woods; yeah, I'm that good), and I thought I would be a bad ass by warming up the car and turning on the seat heaters before we made our trip back to Seattle. In order to quell the "double-chirp" of the horn, I just left the key fob in the little tray, thinking that as long as the keys were in the car, even if for some reason the car locked itself, I would be able to just unlock the doors by touching the handle. That was not the case.

My car was running while I called my insurance company, and they sent a locksmith dude to locksmith my way out of this mess. The car was smart enough to shut itself off after a while. It wasn't smart enough to let me into the car even though the fob was inside.

TL;DR: I'm an idiot, so please help me understand why this happened. What is the probability that my car locked itself? What's the probability that I accidentally hit the lock button on the fob when I set the key in the tray? How can I prevent this in the future (besides not closing the door or leaving the key in my pocket during warm-up)? And just to repeat, I know this was idiotic, and stupid, and whatever... and I should have had this and should have had that (this is for you J2T), but I'm more curious into the logic that went on with the car IF the lock key wasn't pressed on accident. Thanks, M6G. You guys rock
Sponsored

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
Maybe the car does NOT like you?

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I assume you have a manual. But, I have no idea how it could have happened. With the car running, I suppose you could have accidentally hit the lock button as you were getting out.

OP
OP

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume you have a manual. But, I have no idea how it could have happened. With the car running, I suppose you could have accidentally hit the lock button as you were getting out.
I do have a manual. This is all I can think of, and it hurts, I tell ya!

Kudarat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konrad
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
See car manual page 58. Autolock feat. -the ignition is on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, seeing that I haven't memorized the manual (even though I wanted to), I guess I need to re-read that part.

OP
OP

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, that was the first thing I did. When that didn't work, I tried the doors. The little red lights were on in the doors though, and I just could with all my trying get those to change :)

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Not having my car yet all I can say is that sucks man, but I am reading the owners manual online lol

OP
OP

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See car manual page 58. Autolock feat. -the ignition is on.
Autolock Feature:
The Autolock feature locks all the doors when:

All doors are closed (yes)
The ignition is on (yes)
You shift into any gear putting your vehicle in motion (NO)

The autolock feature repeats when:
You open, and then close, any door while the ignition is on and your vehicle speeds is 9.3MPH (NO)
And your vehicle then attains a speed greater than 12.4mph (NO)

But, thanks to your helpful reminder to RTFM,, there is a section on page 58 for enabling and disabling the autolock "feature."

So, I guess I'll be doing that. I didn't think it was an issue and never changed it before. This OP was thinking that a) it's a funny story, and b) beware that it can happen to you.

Christopher_R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Ruby Red
I still don't get how it happened? I let my car warm up on cold mornings, and have left the key in it while I go back in the house for a few minutes and have never had an issue.

ahduckit

Big timin in a small town
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB mustang
Could you have possible hit the lock sensor on the door handle. Even then I dont know if it would lock.
Sponsored