Sponsored

Adjusting sub comes with 401A?

rdycoss1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium PP
Hi,

I have the 401A factory subwoofer installed in the trunk. It works, but frankly it is not very loud. I just wonder if there is any way turn it up a little - like the +/- level (dB) control knob on my home audio subwoofer.

I cannot see any reference to this in the manual, though...

Thanks,
Sponsored

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
Same thing here... it barely seems to function and even then, only on some songs. I had to check to see if it was even working. And I'm not into overly loud bass at all.

I'm going to add a separate sub/enclosure/amp.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I wonder if there are some defective ones out there. I've been adding aftermarket systems to my cars since I was a teenager and, if anything, I was surprised at just how much bass I am getting from a single 10" sub with the kind of sealing/insulation is going on back in that trunk.

I had 2 x 12" DVC 8-ohm Alpine subs with a 500W Class D mono amp (2-ohm stable) in my previous Mustang (2013). I had it wired up so both voice coils were in parallel so that my amp was receiving a 2-ohm load and it wasn't that much louder than the single 10" that my 2015 w/401A came with. Sure it was deeper and hit a little harder, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much bass I am getting stock.

This may be a stupid question, but did you adjust the bass/mid/treble settings in the headunit? I just cranked my bass all the way up on mine.

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
I've read where others were also surprised how LOUD the bass is from the stock unit so maybe there is indeed some kind of issue with some of ours.

I of course did immediately go in and turn the bass up and tried all sorts of various combinations of bass/mid/treble and listened to tracks I used in my 2005 shaker pro system and I am confident there is no comparison. The old system had much richer/deep bass. But again, that was 2 subwoofers in a considerably larger enclosure so I'm not overly surprised by that.

OP
OP
rdycoss1

rdycoss1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may be a stupid question, but did you adjust the bass/mid/treble settings in the headunit? I just cranked my bass all the way up on mine.
Yes, all the way up, still nothing. I barely notice it is there. It does work, but extremely quiet.

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Yeah, mine is not loud at all. I am not one that wants overpowering bass, but mine is barely noticeable. My bass is cranked all of the way up in settings.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Weird, it does sound like there is some kind of issue with some of these...

stang6515

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1965 Fastback, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach 1 w/HP
I noticed I get a better bass sound on regular FM than satellite. also what occupancy mode do you have it in? one definitely gives it more bass than the other. sorry not at home to look which setting I have mine in.

Nexion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 - Mazda3
From what i've read on the forum, source is a huge factor... plug in via 3.5mm or a CD. also Sirius is awful apparently.

Sponsored

captainGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT,2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Sirius does compress their music a lot. I agree if you use CD, HD Fm station or a quality recording from a usb stick it will sound better. Even with that being said I do think Ford could have done better.

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
The low volume sub/bass issue I've experienced has been primarily playing very high quality files of a USB stick as well as HD radio. I was surprised just how awful satellite audio is and wondered what was wrong until I read up on it and yeah, it's just always very poor quality due to the high compression.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The low volume sub/bass issue I've experienced has been primarily playing very high quality files of a USB stick as well as HD radio. I was surprised just how awful satellite audio is and wondered what was wrong until I read up on it and yeah, it's just always very poor quality due to the high compression.
You'd be surprised just how many people think that Sirius/XM is high quality. It's really about the same as ancient 64Kbps MP3's.

Andella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2008 Buell 1125R
It's a shame they couldn't just get rid of 2/3 of the garbage programming on Sirius to free up the bandwidth for better music.

My 401a sub works very well though. Maybe you do have an issue. What music are you listening to?

OP
OP
rdycoss1

rdycoss1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 401a sub works very well though. Maybe you do have an issue. What music are you listening to?
All kind of I guess, mostly via Bluetooth from my phone (google play music). I will experience with different sources...
Sponsored