Sponsored

Brembos are superheroes

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
So yesterday I had to make an appointment mid-day but had to drive by my place on the way so I figured, what the heck, turn in the DD and take the Mustang out for a bit. On the way back there was some light traffic on the freeway but still going ~55ish. I was in the right lane next to one of the typical .5 mile weave lanes in Phoenix for on/off ramps, about half way through it. Guy comes zipping up the on-ramp erratically in some sun-baked 300ZX. At about the same time I look over to my mirror to see what the Z is doing, some idiot in a minivan drafts over 2 lanes in an attempt to take the exit.

At this point, I see the minivan try and get over, so my eyes go to the mirror again to see what the other idiot is doing to avoid a collision. Well obviously neither saw each other so when the minivan sees Z, he must have darted back INTO my lane right away to avoid him but apparently didn't want to miss the exit so he slams on his brakes full tilt ON THE HIGHWAY. This is all happening in 1 less than a second so while I'm aware of the van, I didn't quite realize he had left the lane immediately and gone all the way back over and slammed on his brakes full force ON THE FREAKIN HIGHWAY because I'm seeing the Z race up in my blind spot going like 60 and I'm trying to avoid that idiot. The collision warning system went off and I reflexively started applying brakes and refocused my attention forward. At that point I had to roll on full brakes and managed to stop some 15 feet behind the minivan.

Long story short, multiple idiot drivers but I feel without the ACC and definitely without the Brembos the front end of my car would have been toast at the least. I'm just glad the minivan didn't have ceramics.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Damn! Glad all is ok.

Yes. These 6pot Brembo's are awesome. Great stopping power.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
drama queen award!

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Glad you saved it but hate to tell you, brembos don't make the car stop any shorter. Just allows you to do it over and over and over without fade (or drag you down from big numbers without fade)

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thank those tires instead brah. Glad you made out safely!

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Glad you saved it but hate to tell you, brembos don't make the car stop any shorter. Just allows you to do it over and over and over without fade (or drag you down from big numbers without fade)
This. I came here to say something similar.

Greg15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
Yep, tires and collision avoidance. I think I read an article describing it starts to apply the brakes as soon as you let off the throttle, so slightly fast than you can press the brake pedal. Though I also remember reading an article rating Fords system as one of the worst.

OP
OP

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Well, then thank the Pirellis summer tires winter traction.

Christopher_R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Ruby Red
What did the brake parameter of the accelerometer read after this incident?

Sponsored

moto vudu

No Guts - No Glory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 50 Yr
Yeah, usually it's the tires that play the biggest role. I had a R8 and was speeding on the autobahn late fall (40 degree temps) with summer tires. I got cut off by a van and had to go hard on the brakes from 150 mph. Initially my car was not stopping as quickly as it normally did since it was struggling for grip. Eventually enough heat was generated in the tires and they started gripping hard and I came within 5 ft of the van's rear bumper.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Reading this makes me glad i ordered my car with the ACC bundle. Hope i never have to use collision avoidance though.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
you would've been fine on regular brakes.

Chlocli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1999.5 Audi A4 1.8qtms
Yep, tires and collision avoidance. I think I read an article describing it starts to apply the brakes as soon as you let off the throttle, so slightly fast than you can press the brake pedal. Though I also remember reading an article rating Fords system as one of the worst.
The Ford system does not auto brake for you. It flashes a warning on the windshield, beeps and prepares the brakes so you get full braking power when you do press the brake pedal.
Sponsored