Nice Parents!!

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
It has also been in my experience ( 2nd year mechanical engineering major) it depends on the time you have. I have thankfully been able to pull off that part time job at an actual engineering firm. My case is a special case though. I got very lucky being able to get this job and have bosses that understand and accept my schedule for college. Being a mechanical engineering major though doesn't leave much of any free time outside of class and homework for a job. Especially when you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA for the scholarship you have...
> 3.0 GPA while working and on a scholarship (much less debt) will pay an F load of rewards 5 years from now. Keep grinding :eyebulge:. I'm an EE but had jobs over internships (needed the money, and not many internships floating around 07-09), and even then paying for school landed me in high-5 figure debt. Counting down the months until debt payments are cut in half to pay for a GTPP :doh::headbang:
Sponsored

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
house subject:
I dont know anything about that lol -- but I do want to buy a house prolly next year. any suggestions?
Sure, although I went a radically different path and bought the house first while driving a POS. < 20% down payments result in PMI (money going nowhere) until 20% equity. Veterans don't have to deal with this. Don't buy unless you plan on living there at least 5 years, take advantage of interest rates now and don't even think about it if your credit score is under 750. The cheapest quarter of homes in the nicer neighborhood build equity better than the priciest quarter of homes in the less nice neighborhood. Plan for your taxes to go up, and buy in a growing area. Working great for me outside of the car situation lol. At least I get to wait until the best exhaust is established (took the 11-14 guys awhile to figure out S-Types / GT500 resonator deletes were the best balance)

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Driving and insurance aside, what id really like to know is what an 18 year old does for a living that allows them to purchase a sub $40k car.
Easy - it requires parents paying all or most non-car expenses and allowing Junior to put >50% of his income toward vehicle-related expenses. Junior then takes credit for 'buying the car himself' and angers those whose parents didn't allow this, or at least advocated a savings account. No offense Junior, and I don't mean that word pejoratively, and I'd probably do the same thing had I been in your situation with said parents.

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Living like you're broke for as long as humanly possible opens up a world of possibilities later in life and it doesn't matter when you're not used to the income.
That's the best quote I've ever read in a car forum, and I'm really shocked that I read it IN a car forum. The only risk is becoming an old cheapskate with 10M in the bank. I know one of those, and life is somewhat tragic for them. Depression era

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Easy - it requires parents paying all or most non-car expenses and allowing Junior to put >50% of his income toward vehicle-related expenses. Junior then takes credit for 'buying the car himself' and angers those whose parents didn't allow this, or at least advocated a savings account. No offense Junior, and I don't mean that word pejoratively, and I'd probably do the same thing had I been in your situation with said parents.

When I was 18 I was making a decent amount of money for an 18 year old while going to college. I, however did not even make enough money to afford a $40k car, even if my parents paid for non-car related stuff (at the time it was my cell phone bill, but a couple years after that I started paying for it myself). The only way an 18 year old is affording a car like that is if parents helped the pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
When I was 18 I was making a decent amount of money for an 18 year old while going to college. I, however did not even make enough money to afford a $40k car, even if my parents paid for non-car related stuff (at the time it was my cell phone bill, but a couple years after that I started paying for it myself). The only way an 18 year old is affording a car like that is if parents helped the pay for it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately that is the way many people live when others support them. (family or government).

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Same here, i saw a black ecoboost last week with a really young driver. I don't agree giving a kid a mustang. I straight up want to slap the parents. However, he might have bought it with his own saved money due to the fact that these cars are pretty damn cheap. The insurance might be a problem but who cares right?:frusty:

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Same here, i saw a black ecoboost last week with a really young driver. I don't agree giving a kid a mustang. I straight up want to slap the parents. However, he might have bought it with his own saved money due to the fact that these cars are pretty damn cheap. The insurance might be a problem but who cares right?:frusty:
I bought a 1998 GT with money i saved from working when i was 18 and my insurance was actually pretty cheap due to being on my parents plan.

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
So much jealousy on here

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So much jealousy on here
Definitely not jealousy. It seems a general consensus that us not spoiled are better off in the long run having to had to deal with it.

Its a fact that many things you don't spend your money on you don't value as highly; especially cars

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Pragmatic maybe, not jealous.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
That's the best quote I've ever read in a car forum, and I'm really shocked that I read it IN a car forum. The only risk is becoming an old cheapskate with 10M in the bank. I know one of those, and life is somewhat tragic for them. Depression era
Thank you.

I've found that:

a.) Having a family and
b.) Having a few easy to understand rules about how you handle money takes care of the old cheapskate part on its own.

I happen to have people in my circle of friends that are multi-millionaires but you wouldn't necessarily know it based on outward appearances.

In talking with one of my friends, he recently had an offer to sell his business for millions of dollars. His comment to me was this, "If I took that money my life wouldn't change one bit. I'd still have the same wife of XX years, live in the same house and drive the same car. I'm just content with my life and I like my business."

Being content with what you have, even if it's not monetary wealth, is a great place to be in life. Maybe that just comes with age and wisdom, I don't know.

That being said having the freedom to choose whatever you want to do in life becaue you made wise choices with your money while you're young takes initiative, dicipline and brilliance not many possess.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
One word.....entitlement. It is the most common trait of the 16-23 year olds these days. Yes that is a broad statement but I hear it almost daily when speaking to my peers about the topic.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I teach at a University and at a 2-yr college. Most of the 'junior' college students are studying a trade. After two years of college, the trade students are making $10K-30K more than the 4-year graduates (to start). Eventually, if the university students go for a higher degree, they probably will be making more than the trade school graduates. If both students are taking out loans...we have calculated that it may take the 4-year students 20-years to surpass the others in gross income. Junior college graduates start earlier earning money, they have a higher starting salary, and they have lower student loans to pay back.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go to tech school versus a 4-year college. There is a shortage of people who know how to use their hands, and it's only going to get worse.

And those who know how to make/fix things will do very well if they are business-savvy.
Sponsored