bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
125fa4ffef34cce8bd17b961ed004506.jpg

My bone stock dyno graph for reference. You can clearly see where timing was pulled due to the cats over temp.
Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Call any tuner that has any idea of what these cars are doing, and I guarantee you that if they look at your graph with the a/f 1 point richer like that, they will tell you the car went into cat protection mode. That's about the only reason, these cars with adaptive learning, will not be at the normal a/f ratio.
Do these cars have egt sensors or is the computer guessing the cat temp based on multiple sensor values like most cars?

If the latter then what sensor values are being thrown off with this cat-back to cause a cat over temp condition?

KCTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT P.P.
Is there any reasonable or logical explanation that it occurred with the catback installed and not the times prior? Is the ECU suddenly sensing changing conditions such as a freer flowing exhaust with less resistance, or vice versa a slightly more restrictive exhaust?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 camaro OLS
Toomy V/ KC Tom my name is George Rumore I am the sales manager here at Stainless Works. I am sorry I did not get involved with this earlier I was at the PRI show and got in late Saturday night and then spent the day with my kids I am sure you can under stand.

I have a call into MC Racing that did the dyno to get some additional information on the runs. The information that is missing on his dyno sheet is crucial for me to see in order to figure out whats going on here. First there is no elevation on the sheet. That has a huge effect on power. I have also noticed that the runs were done a few days apart. You can clearly see that the Humidity is 3% higher from the first run. 3% equates to about 2% power loss. The dyno sheet on line is hard for me to read. I also cant see the air fuel data log. What was the oil temp? Was the hood up or closed, fan on or off? That has a huge effect on power. There is way to much missing information for anyone to make an educated analysis of the data presented. KC Tom you stated "If the cats were hot, would the ECU pull timing thru the whole rpm range? Like clockwork, on all the pulls with the catback, it was at about 5200 rpm when the air fuel went crazy. On all previous 6 baselines the air fuel looked straight as an arrow. This, all coming thru their sniffer, which I'm sure is not as accurate a method. Lastly, to reiterate, car was no warmer than on the previous visits to the dyno. Just checked, the temperature during the pull was 53 degrees. Four days prior on the baselines the temperature was 63 degrees." So we are basing this entire thread on a dyno pull that did not read correctly because the AFR was going crazy above 5200 RPM. There is just to much info missing here. I will work as hard as I can to get to the bottom of this for you guys.

So Tommy and the other gentleman that says his car is feels slower please stand by as I am trying to gather the information that is needed. I also have a few dealers performing their own independent dyno test. I do understand your concerns with this issue. We are working as hard as we can to get to the bottom of your concerns.

Tommy V if you would like to speak to me personally about your concerns please feel free to call me at 440-543-6593 or message me and I will give you my cell number.

KCTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT P.P.
Baker, exactly what mine did. What rpm was that when the airfuel drop occurred? Yours is in mph.

Sponsored

thewiz8807

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
Can I get some cliff notes of what's happening as far as SW is concerned?

Was planning on going with the SW H-Pipe Catback but it seems there is a bit of unrest in this thread lol.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Why because I know what the helll im talking about, I said in my post it was not about open headers it was about relearning had nothing to with the power loss.I guarantee I know more than u on the subject, lets hear ur opinion.
Beefcake had said that would forgoe the tests. I want to see the tests. What's the big deal? I never claimed to have any more knowledge vs. you. No worries.

KCTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT P.P.
George, thanks for chiming in. And no, spend as much time with those kids. You want to speak to Mike at MCRacing. He did all the pulls.

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Baker, exactly what mine did. What rpm was that when the airfuel drop occurred? Yours is in mph.
I'd have to pull it up again and edit the parameters of the graph to display that info and I won't be able to do that until I'm home from work. I'll report back as soon as I can on that but likely won't be until around 7pm.

Sponsored

Sales@BBR

Sales & Tech
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blowbyracing.com
Vehicle(s)
BlowByRacing
Do these cars have egt sensors or is the computer guessing the cat temp based on multiple sensor values like most cars?

If the latter then what sensor values are being thrown off with this cat-back to cause a cat over temp condition?
No. They do not have a EGR on them. Its all based off the readings of the Front widebands & Rear 02s

Is there any reasonable or logical explanation that it occurred with the catback installed and not the times prior? Is the ECU suddenly sensing changing conditions such as a freer flowing exhaust with less resistance, or vice versa a slightly more restrictive exhaust?
Adaptive learning. You put a part like a catback on that has NO changes but the car is running hot (ECT, IAT) and other factors, it WILL drop the hp range. After the rear 02s (if you have cats) its not calculating anything else. You could put your stock exhaust back on and the car will do the same thing.

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
God I hope it doesn't come down to this, but worst case scenario if it did, I don't think it would be that hard. The hole saw slips perfectly down into the resonator (I just checked that it would) and skimming off the louvers should be straight forward. Looks like it would leave a smooth bore inner pipe with perforations where each of the louvered punched holes were. I guess in a perfect world we'd want that inner pipe to be 3" like the rest of the piping instead of necking down from 3" to 2 3/8".

Wow, I really missed out over the weekend. :faint: I have read every post though and honestly, all I keep thinking about are these pics KCTom posted. The "neck down" on these things make me cringe. I dont care what comes of this...no way I want my motor breathing through that. It doesnt matter what size pipe you have behind that....THAT is what its breathing though. Hope the CAT overheat protection is the issue but still, I would be welding in straight 3" pipe and then putting a muffler of my choice on.

I still hope you guys get this figure out...just startled me seeing the inside of those resonators/retro-chambered mufflers.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
No. They do not have a EGR on them. Its all based off the readings of the Front widebands & Rear 02s

Adaptive learning. You put a part like a catback on that has NO changes but the car is running hot (ECT, IAT) and other factors, it WILL drop the hp range. After the rear 02s (if you have cats) its not calculating anything else. You could put your stock exhaust back on and the car will do the same thing.
Hey steve I think he meant exhaust gas temp, which is still no lol, like u said front widebands and rear 02s.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
125fa4ffef34cce8bd17b961ed004506.jpg

My bone stock dyno graph for reference. You can clearly see where timing was pulled due to the cats over temp.
I dont see anything on them graphs that refer to timing, but again as I said im going blind lol.Sorry seen where he said he had to edit the graphs.

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You can see the drop in power at the higher rpm signifying cats over temp. Maybe my explanation was not "accurate" in terms of pulling timing but I'm no expert. I work in the Pharmaceutical Drug Industry. I used to work in the Mustang parts industry but I would never have claimed to be an expert. Moreso "well-versed" lol
Sponsored