Sponsored

Is SVT about to be rebranded? Major announcements set for Detroit

steff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2006 Ford GT's, 2012 Boss, 65 R Model Clone
I would love fords version of the corvette. I Don't think it will happen because it's a small market, but it would be nice.
The GT was never a Ford version of the Vette. GT-40's in the beginning were a prototype, like today's P1 at LeMans, purpose built to take down Ferrari's prototype's, something Corvette (a street car) turned racer can never lay claim to. Only in the last decade has GM built a Vette in the Ford GT's class and performance level.:D
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I just hope it's not 999. That would be a terrible name Ford.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I just hope it's not 999. That would be a terrible name Ford.
And in the UK, it's the emergency phone number...........but the I guess 911 hasn't hurt Porsche!

It certainly doesn't work for me!

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I have been at speed on the track and open road in my GT's and rides with others, from pro race drivers and everyday enthusiasts. The Ford GT handles like a dream, and the only reason folks ran into troubles is because they had no business driving this car in the first place, without at least getting some proper instruction. Kit Car....really?? You obviously have no idea. The quality of these Wicom Ford Plant built cars is remarkable, just the doors along are a engineering marvel. Sorry, take some time and know what your taking about first.:rant::ford:
But my cousin's brother, who was married to a lady whose uncle lived next door to a guy whose son read an article on-line about the Ford GT said the car handled poorly and was built like a kit car.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
And you don't care to expound on such an inflammatory statement?
Inflammatory? If I told you the sun was hot would that be Inflammatory? How about if I told you water is wet? Is that Inflammatory?

It has dangerous handling characteristics for anyone short of a pro driver. And for them it would be simply hard to drive. They were built at 6 different assembly locations. Not the cars were split up between 6 different assembly locations. One car went to 6 different places before it was completed. I have been in, on, under and worked on them. I know exactly how they are laid out and put together. They are glorified kit cars.

Doesn't mean I don't want one.

Sponsored

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
It has dangerous handling characteristics for anyone short of a pro driver. And for them it would be simply hard to drive.
The same could be said of most sports cars. I don't think you need to be a pro-driver to drive something like a GT500 or ZL1, but you have to be careful as with any high horsepower vehicle.

Edmunds said of the GT, "Surprisingly, its drivability and user-friendliness is closer to that of a typical sport coupe than a high-performance sports car. The clutch pedal and shifter operate smoothly, the well-balanced steering provides excellent feedback and the engine remains civilized when idling through traffic. But the Ford GT really comes into its own when driven with gusto on the road or at the track, with blistering 3.5-second 0-60-mph performance and a reassuring combination of stability and confidence in place of the typical nervousness exhibited by some other exotics. As we said in our review, "think of it as a Viper-powered NSX with the daily drivability of a Corvette." In other words, the Ford GT is one of the most capable cars ever produced, with at-the-limit manners that not only give it an advantage over direct rivals, but also the ability to compete with supercars costing much more."

They were built at 6 different assembly locations. Not the cars were split up between 6 different assembly locations. One car went to 6 different places before it was completed. I have been in, on, under and worked on them. I know exactly how they are laid out and put together. They are glorified kit cars.
True, Ford didn't have a dedicated plant to manufacture super cars. It was the first one since the 60's. But a kit-car implies that there was little engineering involved. Kit cars usually take a bunch of common parts like motor, chassis, and suspension, and just slap a fiber glass body on it. Surely you don't think the GT is anywhere near that level.

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
The same could be said of most sports cars. I don't think you need to be a pro-driver to drive something like a GT500 or ZL1, but you have to be careful as with any high horsepower vehicle.

Edmunds said of the GT, "Surprisingly, its drivability and user-friendliness is closer to that of a typical sport coupe than a high-performance sports car. The clutch pedal and shifter operate smoothly, the well-balanced steering provides excellent feedback and the engine remains civilized when idling through traffic. But the Ford GT really comes into its own when driven with gusto on the road or at the track, with blistering 3.5-second 0-60-mph performance and a reassuring combination of stability and confidence in place of the typical nervousness exhibited by some other exotics. As we said in our review, "think of it as a Viper-powered NSX with the daily drivability of a Corvette." In other words, the Ford GT is one of the most capable cars ever produced, with at-the-limit manners that not only give it an advantage over direct rivals, but also the ability to compete with supercars costing much more."

True, Ford didn't have a dedicated plant to manufacture super cars. It was the first one since the 60's. But a kit-car implies that there was little engineering involved. Kit cars usually take a bunch of common parts like motor, chassis, and suspension, and just slap a fiber glass body on it. Surely you don't think the GT is anywhere near that level.
Take it or leave it, I don't care what you think.

I'm out.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Take it or leave it, I don't care what you think.

I'm out.
You can't call one of the greatest Fords ever made a "glorified kit car" with "dangerous" handling and expect to get away with it. :ford:

Pabo

And in the UK, it's the emergency phone number...........but the I guess 911 hasn't hurt Porsche!

It certainly doesn't work for me!
:lol:

The 2018 999 GT500! :doh::crazy:

No way they do this. I don't know where those crazy rumors started

SUPRDUDE7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Red Fire GT Shaker 1000
You can't call one of the greatest Fords ever made a "glorified kit car" with "dangerous" handling and expect to get away with it. :ford:
I know you are but what am I? haha get em Johnny
Sponsored