Best CAI

BobKool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L automatic
I'm a newbie here...just signed up a few days ago. I have a question that I'm sure has been discussed many times before, but I can't find it in any of the posts. I recently purchased a 2022 Mustang GT automatic. I'm looking to purchase a cold air intake for this car, and I've narrowed it down to the Injen EVO 9202, or the JLT (now S&B) CAI-75-5147D. Both systems are closed box dry filters. I've read good things about both of them. I figured this would be the place to ask to get a better opinion on these two systems. I don't plan on running this car at the track, just some spirited driving elsewhere. I also don't want to void my warranty, so I'm not considering anything that requires a tune. I'd be happy to just pick up the 10 HP and 10 ft/lbs of torque that the '22 model lost from previous years. Appreciate any insight anybody can provide.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Best CAI is the one that comes with the car, there is no HP to be gained only higher IATs. The 22 has a hydrocarbon trap on the intake that you can remove. Currently theory is that's where the 10 HP came from but nobody is absolutely certain. There is already an excellent thread on that here.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yes. These aren't Japanese cars. CAIs aren't needed unless you do LTHers and other things.

And the thread about the hydro-carbon trap has me convinced that once you remove that crap, you get back to the 2018-2022 460HP.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Welcome to the Mustang world! Hope you're enjoying the car.

We have found success with JLT and PMAS in recent years in terms of performance and fitment on these cars. Another to consider is AFEs intake. We have been impressed with what they've brought to the table amongst several platforms including the G3 Coyote.

We carry several/most options available for these cars and would love to help out with any of your questions or quote needs.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'd be happy to just pick up the 10 HP and 10 ft/lbs of torque that the '22 model lost from previous years. Appreciate any insight anybody can provide.
First of all, do some search on the carbon trap thing that 22 model years got. Secondly, get yourself a drop in panel filter for the stock box.

Between those 2, you'll more than get your lost hp back and make just as much if not more than the fancy CAIs for a fraction of the cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BobKool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L automatic
Wow, thanks to all for the replies. I wasn't even aware of the hydrocarbon trap...this is the first I've heard about it on this thread. With the trap in mind, and cost debates aside, presumably replacing the stock airbox with a CAI from ANY aftermarket manufacturer will by default, lose the trap and pick up any HP the hydrocarbon trap steals. I'm not saying that still justifies spending good money on an aftermarket CAI if just removing the trap accomplishes the same thing, I'm just saying that it actually makes their claims about gaining HP seem more credible...at least for the 2022 model.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
HC trap is new to 2022 in it's current form. Dubious claims about HP gains go back as long as CAIs have been made. Just ask yourself, why would Ford invest millions of dollars in research just to come up with a part that can be bettered by some fly-by-night operation operating out of a warehouse? Who believes that they can design a 460HP 5.0 V8 that gets decent mileage, good emissions and drives as smooth as a Civic but can't manage to get air into it with a simple plastic box so they just left 20+HP on the table?

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Are aftermarket CAI's better performance wise? I would think stock, no, modified, perhaps. I did a drop in AFE for ease of maintenance. Do the aftermarket CAI's look better? Yes, I think they do, but not worth it to me.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Are aftermarket CAI's better performance wise?
Depends. For forced induction, obviously aftermarket is better. For my NA 17' GT I went quicker/faster with a 18+ airbox & a drop-in K&N than with my PMAS (back 2 back runs at the track, 10 mins apart). This isn't a slight on PMAS, as their intakes are very good. On a very cool night from a roll a PMAS 120 would be quicker for me. In every other situation no.

Sponsored

Dark Stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Fastback
I wanted an easy mod to throw my money at and I spent a lot of time reading about cold air intakes. I found some thread from a couple years ago on whether or not it’s worth it. Someone with an immense amount of knowledge had a MASSIVE post explaining that the ones that come stock are just as good as aftermarket. Some of the aftermarket ones actually had power reduction in some cases. After reading what he had to say I decided to spend my money on other things. The aftermarket CAIs do look cool and sound cool but that’s about it. But it’s your money! 😉

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
As a JLT cai owner… use that money and buy chicken nuggets… the cai is a waste of money and if you are not running in a circuit, the only thing you’ll get is higher iat…

another thing, don’t fall for the cheap advertisement of 10 hp for filters and intakes…specially if they don’t require a tune

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
As a JLT cai owner… used that money and buy chicken nuggets… the cai is a waste of money and if you are not running in a circuit, the only thing you’ll get is higher iat…

another thing, don’t fall for the cheap advertisement of 10 hp for filters and intakes…specially if they don’t require a tune
I think the community as a whole should get you some delicious chicken nuggets for your contributions and sacrifices made testing them.

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
I put the Injen Evolution in my '21. Did it mostly for looks. It actually looks like it belongs, where the stock box does not. Also, the Injen is a true closed box - it does not have a lid. The filter goes into a hole with a Twist-to-Lock. As to higher IAT, the Injen "plugs" into the same hole as the stock and is fully sealed otherwise. IAT should be no higher than stock box.

arigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 eco pp mustang
I'm a newbie here...just signed up a few days ago. I have a question that I'm sure has been discussed many times before, but I can't find it in any of the posts. I recently purchased a 2022 Mustang GT automatic. I'm looking to purchase a cold air intake for this car, and I've narrowed it down to the Injen EVO 9202, or the JLT (now S&B) CAI-75-5147D. Both systems are closed box dry filters. I've read good things about both of them. I figured this would be the place to ask to get a better opinion on these two systems. I don't plan on running this car at the track, just some spirited driving elsewhere. I also don't want to void my warranty, so I'm not considering anything that requires a tune. I'd be happy to just pick up the 10 HP and 10 ft/lbs of torque that the '22 model lost from previous years. Appreciate any insight anybody can provide.
as you can see, the CAI debate is strong here... a lot of opinions from a lot or different year cars with a lot of different motors and this tread isn't even at #20 lol... you may get a better answer by starting your own thread like '22 gt stock cai ...guys with 2017 models can't really tell ya... roush guys can't tell ya... i know i can't tell ya... just an ol 2020 4cyl guy here...
Sponsored