Sponsored

ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

JimmyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
So correct me if I'm wrong but you give nothing up choosing the G3 over the G2? I would have thought there'd be better boost response down low with the G2?

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
So correct me if I'm wrong but you give nothing up choosing the G3 over the G2? I would have thought there'd be better boost response down low with the G2?
What? The g3 pushes more air than the g2… more air > more hp…. 7 psi are 7 psi… but 7 psi from a garden hose is not the same amount of water as 7 psi from a fire hose

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
What? The g3 pushes more air than the g2… more air > more hp…. 7 psi are 7 psi… but 7 psi from a garden hose is not the same amount of water as 7 psi from a fire hose
See. This always confuses me. Garden hose and fire hose are not the same size. However, the intake tube is the same size as is the throttle bay. The “restriction” part that creates boost per se is the actual engine. The engine can’t pump as much air as what the supercharger is pushing in, hence boost pressure.

This is where I get confused... if the restriction is the same, the boost pressure is the same, the intake tubing is the same size, how can the volume of air be different?

I don’t understand how there’s more air volume at the same pressure If both tube and restriction are the same. I can see more volume if the pressure was increased (more boost).

I liken it to a car or truck tire. If you have a truck tire at 40
PSI and a small car tire at 40PSI and remove the valve core from each, the truck tire will take longer to deflate because there’s more air inside. But the pressure coming out both valve stems is the same. Ergo, same size valve.

I need some schooling I guess.

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
psi is psi. CFMs is what matters and it’s plainly posted on ESS’s website. The G3 just flows more air. I assume due to the housing size difference?

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
psi is psi. CFMs is what matters and it’s plainly posted on ESS’s website. The G3 just flows more air. I assume due to the housing size difference?
Yes. The G3 is a bigger blower and flows more air than the G2.

I completely understand the CFM thing. However, how does CFM increase if the pressure is the same through the same size tubing? The restriction (engine) is the same for both blowers. I’m still wrapping my head around things...

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Yes. The G3 is a bigger blower and flows more air than the G2.

I completely understand the CFM thing. However, how does CFM increase if the pressure is the same through the same size tubing? The restriction (engine) is the same for both blowers. I’m still wrapping my head around things...
Not an expert but here we go...CFM is compressed air while psi is pressure. More cfm, more air into the engine to burn fuel.

So you can have 2 engines with 8psi but 1 has more air to burn. More air, more fuel, more combustion.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Not an expert but here we go...CFM is compressed air while psi is pressure. More cfm, more air into the engine to burn fuel.

So you can have 2 engines with 8psi but 1 has more air to burn. More air, more fuel, more combustion.
...and the more fuel you will need to maintain targeted air/fuel ratios.

JimmyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
What I'm trying to understand is that shouldn't the bigger blower take a bit longer to spool than a smaller blower resulting in a laggier overall power curve?

If there's no trade off then why bother with the smaller blower?

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
What I'm trying to understand is that shouldn't the bigger blower take a bit longer to spool than a smaller blower resulting in a laggier overall power curve?

If there's no trade off then why bother with the smaller blower?
You’re thinking in terms of how a turbo works. There’s no exhaust gases to get this going, it will spin as fast as the engine and belt lets it spin. As far as I know, the gearing inside the units isn’t any different.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power goals… depending on you power goals you get g2 or g3 if you want 600-650 whp you go G2… G3 will push you more than that with same or less boost.

but if you want +850 whp you go G3 because the G2 will run out of breath…

same reason why you have multiple head units for whipple, paxton, etc

for example, my goal is 700 whp… i wanna see that 7… my debate is g2 with 115mm pulley or G3 with 120mm? Based on 93 fuel, my current injectors and safe boost… both can achieve that goal but what if the g2 push 685 and the g3 pushes 710? That’s my whole dilemma #firstworldproblems

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Power goals… depending on you power goals you get g2 or g3 if you want 600-650 whp you go G2… G3 will push you more than that with same or less boost.

for example, my goal is 700 whp… i wanna see that 7… my debate is g2 with 115mm pulley or G3 with 120mm? Based on 93 fuel, my current injectors and safe boost… both can achieve that goal but what if the g2 push 685 and the g3 pushes 710? That’s my whole dilemma #firstworldproblems
I struggled with the same thoughts and I ended up with the G3. I think for the modest cost delta that you get more room for the future if you want more power. I figured that it would be great to start with a 120mm pulley and then see where I ended up, having grabbed the G3, if I decide I want more power I just need some additional supporting stuff and another pulley.

dukecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT premium A10
I struggled with the same thoughts and I ended up with the G3. I think for the modest cost delta that you get more room for the future if you want more power. I figured that it would be great to start with a 120mm pulley and then see where I ended up, having grabbed the G3, if I decide I want more power I just need some additional supporting stuff and another pulley.
This was exactly my thoughts when I was trying to decide on which head unit to order and I ended up ordering the G3X specifically for the reason of growth, if I choose, in the future with other supporting mods.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2

Plus, running a smaller 115mm pulley on the G2 versus the 120mm pulley on the G3 increases rotation energy which by itself reduces overall HP. To me it's free HP going with the G3. But that's what I will do. We all make our own decisions as to what or goals as well as budget is. Good Luck

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed. For $500-600 I’m inclining for the G3 because it is a safe bet, but again, you choose based on your goals.
Sponsored