2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I've been looking into this for a while and have reached out to a couple businesses that offer this service and even a forum member. However during the research phase I came across articles like this:

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/5-reasons-not-to-use-repainted-brake-calipers-brembo

This is the only reason I haven't jumped onboard yet as my car (usually) see's heavy track usage.
I'm sure if a car is just a casual street car then there would be no issue.

I would also like to sand down the texture on the rear brakes if I end up doing this.

Understandably this is all just a cosmetic thing so it's not super important in the grand scheme of things.
Sponsored

Brian82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I used black G2 Caliper paint on my calipers and they turned out great. I was skeptical at first thinking it would look runny but once dried came out solid. Kind of like a polymer. Key is take your time with the prep work. Get them really clean first. I spray painted my rotor hats with high temp paint since they were off. Two coats primer 2 coats paint 2 coats of clear coat. All of it came out great!

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Last stang I started sanding and polishing the front calipers so they had a 'chrome' look. clearcoated. Looked OK, but a couple weeks later decided to paint 'em, and preferred the color look after. Being an old guy, have painted several vehicle calipers, and never use high temp paints. Good ole Tremclad is the goto. Really recommend clearcoat, and often to seal in a decal, eg Brembo or other. All my vehicles have been daily drivers. Car washes etc, no effect. Of course I take the time to use brake cleaner and a small brush to clean/prep before painting.

If it was a track car, then I see powder coating as the way to go, no contest.

Its not a tough job - but then I respect not everyone wants to get at er, and its a dirty job that needs patience to clean and mask. The actual painting is nothing.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm gonna buy them powdercoated outta the box. After painting for 2 weeks, No thanks. POR15 was directly out of the can. There rust preventative paints are GREAT!!!! there caliper SUCKS!!! Junk!
Just an FYI. The red painted rears that Steeda (and Ford Perf sells) are not powder coated. Zoom in on the photos. The seals have been painted over and you can clearly see overspray on the unpainted areas. In one photo, they left a piece of masking tape sticking out. Looking closely at the front calipers, it appears that they coated them after they were built. You can see a masking line around the seals. To do a proper powder coat, the calipers should be completely disassembled. There was a forum member who bought these and was questioning if he got factory seconds or someone's used parts.

Then there's this note on the Steeda parts: "Note: Due to handling in the chain of distribution there may be imperfections on the surface of this OE part that do not affect it's form, fit, or function. Installers are cautioned to exercise care when installing pads and mounting calipers to prevent damage to the powder coated surface."
In other words, you may receive a banged up, chipped, and scratched set of calipers with soft paint that you may damage during install.

Powder coating if done correctly, is much better than this.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Just an FYI. The red painted rears that Steeda (and Ford Perf sells) are not powder coated. Zoom in on the photos. The seals have been painted over and you can clearly see overspray on the unpainted areas. In one photo, they left a piece of masking tape sticking out. Looking closely at the front calipers, it appears that they coated them after they were built. You can see a masking line around the seals. To do a proper powder coat, the calipers should be completely disassembled. There was a forum member who bought these and was questioning if he got factory seconds or someone's used parts.

Then there's this note on the Steeda parts: "Note: Due to handling in the chain of distribution there may be imperfections on the surface of this OE part that do not affect it's form, fit, or function. Installers are cautioned to exercise care when installing pads and mounting calipers to prevent damage to the powder coated surface."
In other words, you may receive a banged up, chipped, and scratched set of calipers with soft paint that you may damage during install.

I'm buying the Bullitt kit and call it a day

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I powder coated mine and after a full hot track day, the powder coat got soft and the brake dust stuck to it like you know what to a blanket. After getting home and washing everything down, the calipers were no longer good looking, they we all imbedded with brake dust.

Ended up getting that stripped off and painted with caliper paint, no issues like that since.

So, if not tracking car, powder coating is good. If tracking, I would be leery. My $0.02 worth.

Edit : when I say hot track day, I'm talking 140+ mph into a hard braking zone every lap for 20 minutes followed by a steep down hill hairpin at 100+mph. Brutal track for brakes.

Last edited:

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I've been looking into this for a while and have reached out to a couple businesses that offer this service and even a forum member. However during the research phase I came across articles like this:

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/5-reasons-not-to-use-repainted-brake-calipers-brembo

This is the only reason I haven't jumped onboard yet as my car (usually) see's heavy track usage.
I'm sure if a car is just a casual street car then there would be no issue.

I would also like to sand down the texture on the rear brakes if I end up doing this.

Understandably this is all just a cosmetic thing so it's not super important in the grand scheme of things.
Awesome article, thanks for sharing =)
Anthony

Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I hope you get a decent set and please post what you think of them.
Well, I got the FORD Bullitt kit toda from LMR and front BREMBO's are AWESOME and powder coated RED. The rears are def painted and that pisses me off, because they should be powder coated for $1300. There are a few spots on rear calipers and brackets that already have metal peeking through. I bought some VHT caliper paint and will touch up spots accordingly. But i can tell that they will be an issue down the road w car washes.. So I may have my stock low mileage (7,000 miles) rear calipers powdercoated RED.
Anthony

20220306_131440.jpg

20220306_131450.jpg

20220306_131457.jpg

20220306_131511.jpg

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

This wasn't the case with the ones I installed from Steeda. No evidence of masking whatsoever, factory paint dots on the bleeder screws. Definitely new parts.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
I was going to power coat mine until I was told the pistons had to be removed to do it. Went with G2, glad I did.

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Well, I got the FORD Bullitt kit toda from LMR and front BREMBO's are AWESOME and powder coated RED. The rears are def painted and that pisses me off, because they should be powder coated for $1300. There are a few spots on rear calipers and brackets that already have metal peeking through. I bought some VHT caliper paint and will touch up spots accordingly. But i can tell that they will be an issue down the road w car washes.. So I may have my stock low mileage (7,000 miles) rear calipers powdercoated RED.
Anthony

20220306_131440.jpg
Would you share photos of the rear calipers and brackets to see how they compare?