Lost on exhaust setup ideas

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Quick and to the point.... My exhaust set up is as follows: Stock Headers -> Straight pipe (cat delete) -> Straight pipe -> Flowmaster outlaw axleback. So stock headers followed by straight pipe all the way to the axleback.

My problem: It's loud AF, way too loud and over 3k rpm has echoing rasp that drives everyone nuts. I've dived into the forums, youtube, etc. and have found plenty of ideas, but still unsure of what to ultimately do.

The result I want: I want it to still be loud, but not as loud as it is now. I want to also keep the crackles, bangs, backfires, etc. of having the catless setup, for me it adds enjoyment. Until 3k rpm, the car has excellent deep rumble from the flowmaster outlaw, just stupid loud. I have bought stock headers/cats from someone, but have not installed them yet due to the fact that I would lose all of the pops & backfires that I love.

After looking around, a popular choice would be some 12" vibrant resonators welded in place near where the stock cats would have been, and then maybe an h-pipe to also eliminate a little rasp. I'm just unsure of whether or not 12" resonators would kill the backfires & pops. Longtubes are also outside of what I want to do with the car for now, I daily it and would rather keep that investment down the road.

Also another quick question, where the cats were, the previous owner had bungs welded in and the o2 sensors back in, but still have a CEL. Should that eliminate the CEL or would I still need to buy some "mini cats" to put into the bungs?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Why not just swap the axle back? Will kill the drone and clean up the tone but can keep it as wild or mild as you desire.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nothing besides having some actual mufflers for axle backs is going to help much with the volume unfortunately.

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Add a magnaflow true x or a dual in dual out muffler between the cat delete and axle back. I have a similar setup with a flowmaster original 40 dual in dual out and muffler delete sounds awesome no rasp or drone only loud when I get on it. I have went through multiple setups and this is my favorite got the old school 5.0 sound.

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I forgot to add I have a custom h-pipe section before the flowmaster

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Why not just swap the axle back? Will kill the drone and clean up the tone but can keep it as wild or mild as you desire.
Nothing besides having some actual mufflers for axle backs is going to help much with the volume unfortunately.
Add a magnaflow true x or a dual in dual out muffler between the cat delete and axle back. I have a similar setup with a flowmaster original 40 dual in dual out and muffler delete sounds awesome no rasp or drone only loud when I get on it. I have went through multiple setups and this is my favorite got the old school 5.0 sound.
Is there any opinion on one of the MBRP catback systems with h-pipe? Looked up many videos on youtube of people running catless with mbrp catback and it sounds pleasant, loud, but the rasp seems fairly tame.

My original idea was to add a couple resonators before the mid-pipe, and then I had a thought of getting the corsa double h-pipe for the middle section to replace just straight pipe.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Is there any opinion on one of the MBRP catback systems with h-pipe? Looked up many videos on youtube of people running catless with mbrp catback and it sounds pleasant, loud, but the rasp seems fairly tame.

My original idea was to add a couple resonators before the mid-pipe, and then I had a thought of getting the corsa double h-pipe for the middle section to replace just straight pipe.
If going MBRP I'd say just not the race version as then you'd run into the same drone scenario.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If going MBRP I'd say just not the race version as then you'd run into the same drone scenario.
I've taken a gander at the AWE touring system also, seems to sound pretty good. What do you think about the corsa double h idea?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I've taken a gander at the AWE touring system also, seems to sound pretty good. What do you think about the corsa double h idea?
AWE Touring sounds great, no drone, still loud, but more character in the lower RPMs and screams up top. The double H from Corsa will be a tad deeper tone than the double x. I will say if going the Corsa route with long tubes, stick to the Sport. The Xtremes get this trumpety tone on LTH that personally I had to add a pair of Vibrants to clean up back when I had them.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
AWE Touring sounds great, no drone, still loud, but more character in the lower RPMs and screams up top. The double H from Corsa will be a tad deeper tone than the double x. I will say if going the Corsa route with long tubes, stick to the Sport. The Xtremes get this trumpety tone on LTH that personally I had to add a pair of Vibrants to clean up back when I had them.
My biggest concern or issue is the 100% volume and the rasp, that's why I was really curious how the vibrant resonators would do to take it down like 20% and kill a lot of the rasp. Only trying to go from a 10/10 to like an 8/10

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
My biggest concern or issue is the 100% volume and the rasp, that's why I was really curious how the vibrant resonators would do to take it down like 20% and kill a lot of the rasp. Only trying to go from a 10/10 to like an 8/10
The Vibrants can take the edge off, take the volume down a bit and clean up some of the tone, but will not do much for the drone.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The Vibrants can take the edge off, take the volume down a bit and clean up some of the tone, but will not do much for the drone.
Yeah the outlaws have pretty gnarly drone. Can barely have a conversation lol. So the AWE Touring is a good choice, even though they're straight through resonators not actual mufflers?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the outlaws have pretty gnarly drone. Can barely have a conversation lol. So the AWE Touring is a good choice, even though they're straight through resonators not actual mufflers?
Their Touring are actual mufflers and do sound good. If doing their full catback version comes with a resonated H pipe. Their Race no. Those drone pretty bad as well.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
You need to be honest with yourself and ask how much money you’re willing to spend and what material of construction you need.
304 SS
409SS
Aluminumized
Then there’s interior drone that many affordable system don’t mitigate.

Are you in an area where road deicers are used ?

You’re going to get interior drone with MBRP. Only a few systems truly cancel the droning resonance. The drone totally ruins the hands free phone feature.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You need to be honest with yourself and ask how much money you’re willing to spend and what material of construction you need.
304 SS
409SS
Aluminumized
Then there’s interior drone that many affordable system don’t mitigate.

Are you in an area where road deicers are used ?

You’re going to get interior drone with MBRP. Only a few systems truly cancel the droning resonance. The drone totally ruins the hands free phone feature.
That’s why I kinda moved away from mbrp quickly because of the drone I would get. Yes I live in an area where salt is used during winter
Sponsored