Driving modes

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
No, it's all about the throttle response and feel. My Taurus can hesitate for almost a 1/2 second before accelerating while the computer decides what gear to be in, if any wheels are spinning, etc, etc. It's more than annoying, it scares you sometimes when you give it gas to pull into traffic and the damn thing just sits there for a half second. That's a lot of time when merging.

my 1.6L eco fusion does the same thing at highway speeds, absolute garbage
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I could see the regulations requiring the Mfg. to default the car to have them enabled from the factory. But I'd be really surprised to hear that the owner of the car isn't allowed to set their specific car to anything they so desire.

Do you have a link to the law that states otherwise?
This took a lot of digging to find, but I'm actually glad I've been reading through this. It's an interesting bit of insight.

Page 18: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated Files/ESC_FR_03_2007.pdf

● In certain circumstances, drivers may have legitimate reasons to disengage the ESC system or limit its ability to intervene, such as when the vehicle is stuck in sand/gravel, is being used while equipped with snow chains, or is being run on a track for maximum performance. Accordingly, under this final rule, vehicle manufacturers may include a driver-selectable switch that places the ESC system in a mode in which it does not satisfy the performance requirements of the standard (e.g., “sport” mode or full-off mode). However, if the vehicle manufacturer chooses this option, it must ensure that the ESC system always returns to the fully-functional default mode at the initiation of each new ignition cycle, regardless of the mode the driver had previously selected (with certain exceptions for low speed off-road axle/transfer case selections that turn off ESC, but cannot be reset electronically). If the vehicle manufacturer chooses this option, it must also provide an “ESC Off” control and a telltale that is mounted inside the occupant compartment in front of and in clear view of the driver. Such telltale must remain continuously illuminated for as long as the ESC is in a mode that renders it unable to meet the performance requirements of the standard, whenever the ignition locking system is in the “On” (“Run”) position.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
This took a lot of digging to find, but I'm actually glad I've been reading through this. It's an interesting bit of insight.

Page 18: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated Files/ESC_FR_03_2007.pdf
Thanks a ton for finding that. :frusty:

So, I'm guessing that we'll default back to std mode all the time then. At least the premium has the mode selector that gives us quick change from default to track mode. Seems easier than holding a button for some number of seconds every time.

Big brother trying to protect us from ourselves. Seem like if they could get rid of the gas pedal altogether, they would.

allgripnoslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
If people are forced to have the nannies/aids on, then they won't learn how the car behaves/how they should behave without the nannies. That is the point they will be come dependent on the nannies and too scared/incompetent to drive without being "protected".

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, those that drive with the nannies on will need the nannies more, those who drive without the nannies will need the nannies less.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If people are forced to have the nannies/aids on, then they won't learn how the car behaves/how they should behave without the nannies. That is the point they will be come dependent on the nannies and too scared/incompetent to drive without being "protected".

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, those that drive with the nannies on will need the nannies more, those who drive without the nannies will need the nannies less.
I spent most of my life driving without traction control or ESC. I spun out a lot in rain and snow. I can drive my current Mustang in driving snow with no qualms. This is a good thing. And when I want to drift a corner, I can just shut them off.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
No, it's all about the throttle response and feel. My Taurus can hesitate for almost a 1/2 second before accelerating while the computer decides what gear to be in, if any wheels are spinning, etc, etc. It's more than annoying, it scares you sometimes when you give it gas to pull into traffic and the damn thing just sits there for a half second. That's a lot of time when merging.
I can get my Focus SE in a mass state of confusion under acceleration from a stop. If a wheel spins.....hang on cause it may go like stink or sit there and decide what gear it wants to be in and if it wants traction control.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I can get my Focus SE in a mass state of confusion under acceleration from a stop. If a wheel spins.....hang on cause it may go like stink or sit there and decide what gear it wants to be in and if it wants traction control.
While reading through that NHTSA doc about ESC regs, it mentioned something about ESC being enforced at >15km/h. Does your car's ESC not kick in until it's made some forward movement?

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I still want to know what mode my base GT will be in when I shut off the stability and traction control? IS THIS EQUAL TO TRACK MODE ON PREMIUM CARS? Is steering weight heavier? Is throttle response better? etc.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
In place of the toggle switches the base model gets buttons that do the same thing...as 3 of the 4 toggles at least, but one is missing. That one thing that the base model does not get to change is driving mode; it'll still change steering and traction control, just not driving mode unless you step up to the premium and get the toggles also.
one of the multitude of reasons i stepped up to a Premium.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I still want to know what mode my base GT will be in when I shut off the stability and traction control? IS THIS EQUAL TO TRACK MODE ON PREMIUM CARS? Is steering weight heavier? Is throttle response better? etc.

The Premium GT/PP I drove was in track mode and honestly it wasn't enough of a difference to be noticeable.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'm also wondering about the stability control modes in the base cars. If I hit the button next to the steering button, does it just turn everything off or is there also a sport mode on the base cars? I don't wanna get a base model and have stability control constantly intervening unless I turn everything off completely.

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
From what I ve read it seems that the only difference between sport and track mode is stability control off on track. Does that sound correct. I ve been wondering what the specific characteristics to each mode are. I haven't seen that explained in debth anywhere.

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
Very odd that the performance pack does not include selectable drive modes for the base models.

Selectable Drive Modes

Selectable drive modes consists of the
following systems:
• Electronically power-assisted steering
adjusts steering effort and feel based
on your selected mode. See Steering
(page 163).
• Electronic stability control and traction
control maintain your vehicle control
in adverse conditions or high
performance driving. See Stability
Control (page 143).
• Electronic throttle control enhances
the powertrain response to your inputs

Track – Provides a performance driving
experience. The engine responds
directly to your inputs and takes on a
more powerful tone.
Track mode is for
use when pure performance is desired.
A performance oriented AdvanceTrac
mode is automatically utilized when
Track drive mode is selected. In this
mode, AdvanceTrac intervention is
reduced and tuned specifically for track

usage only and is not intended for
public roads. See Using Stability
Control (page 144). http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2014.pdf
Sponsored