RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The S550 package is vastly superior to the 1LE with all things considered? The 1Le is a benchmark and I'm looking past it. Chevy is Chevies competitor. They don't go look at their competition. They best their outgoing model and have said so much in their reviews. What concerns me is that Chevy will be looking to best the 1le with the SS. The 1le will likely look to best the ZL1. Chevy is playing for keeps...Look at their current line up. They aren't doing just enough...They are looking for blood.

Today the GT PP is a smart choice in six to eight months it's a new game and THAT is what I'm concerned about....
When will enough be enough though? They're going to constantly 1-UP each other on a value basis.

Chevy's lineup is still piss poor outside of their C7 and select Camaros (1LE, ZL1, Z28) imo. I really don't think they're competitive in anything else.

GM needs to take the engineers working on the ATS, CTS, C7, and special variant Camaros, and make a separate division just for them.

BaylorCorvette

Track > 1/4 Mile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Z51
I can't help but feel like Ford is going to screw their customers with the 2016's. Very similar to what they did with the 2010/2011.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Holy crap....nothing but praise was given about the S550 drivetrain. The "10/11" reference is really just the Coyote motor in the 11 right after the facelift in the 10. The S550 motor is solid, all that needs tuned relative to the 1LE are the dampers/springs and fatter sticky rubber.

To be honest these are both things that I was going to do anyways on my GT PP, but it does hurt a little that we don't have the bragging rights over such simple things that Ford could have done.

To echo a few others, I really would love to see a other test where both cars have equal dollars to spend on springs/dampers and wheel/tire. To make it fair of course. :thumbsup:
The Coyote motor is a beast and there is good reason for praise. Let's be real we don't know if dampers, tires and springs are going to fix the issues. Chevy had to relocate mounting points to bring the Camaro into line. It was garbage and was slaughtered in the reviews until the changes were made. The reviews were much worse than the GT PP and the GT PPs can be viewed in a positive light. Until people start modding and Ford gets more experience with the setup we won't know, however. Not every cure comes from a box from an aftermarket mod shop that can be bolted on....

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been very excited about the 2015 s550 mustang. I read rumors of high horsepower numbers, better than boss performance, and all around improvement. When the first tests came out, I was very disappointed in the slower straight line performance specifically. However, even the initial skid pad and handling tests showed very little promise. The 1le is the natural target and competitor for the 2015 gt pp, and ford should have trounced it. Sadly they did not...

People on this thread are coming up with silly arguments to defend their decision to buy the 2015. I don't want to buy bolt ons, and tires, and suspension mods to make the car perform on the level of its main competitor. I want a car that will beat the competition right out of the box. It looks as if I'm not the only one here that thinks this way. Ford really did screw the pooch with this car. The only saving grace will be if they offer SIGNIFICANT improvements for the 2016 model in the form of direct injection, better tires, and better suspension. I can see them leaving a bit to be desired with the exhaust note, and bolting an exhaust on my car wouldn't be a problem, I've done it before and I'd do it again. However, setting the overall performance bar so low is not acceptable in my eyes. Even the ecoboost is a little too tame imo, that motor can produce some serious power/torque. I was hoping the ecoboost could give the old ss a run for its money (in the 1/4 at least).That's something that would have grabbed some serious attention from a very wide audience. Ford could have attracted so many more buyers if they just put a bit more effort into this car. More people would have considered trading their current cars, cancelling their orders on upcoming models, and jumping their favorite brands ships to join the mustang clan. Isn't that what ford wanted? I hope ford high ups, mustang engineers, and bean counters look at these threads and hear the cries for more. You let me down ford...
You should buy a 1LE, it's a blast to drive. A 1SS 1LE Recaro will run $38K. A GT PP Recaro will run $34K. The Mustang has a superior aftermarket so I have no issue with modifying it. Ford although it disappoints us will sell a lot more GT/PP's than Chevy will sell 1LE's. for 2015 you can also purchase two additional packages that include the 1LE suspension for less than the PP.

I ran a poll a while back and most people picked the current PP package, a few of us voted for a real track package for $5K. This small sample proves that Ford knows it's market. Yes is frustrating to those that want it but business is business. This Mustang is designed to appeal to a much wider number of buyers. Most of the people making a purchasing decision will regret living with a 1LE, because it really is a track day car, they typically do not make good DD's.

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
You should buy a 1LE, it's a blast to drive. A 1SS 1LE Recaro will run $38K. A GT PP Recaro will run $34K. The Mustang has a superior aftermarket so I have no issue with modifying it. Ford although it disappoints us will sell a lot more GT/PP's than Chevy will sell 1LE's. for 2015 you can also purchase two additional packages that include the 1LE suspension for less than the PP.

I ran a poll a while back and most people picked the current PP package, a few of us voted for a real track package for $5K. This small sample proves that Ford knows it's market. Yes is frustrating to those that want it but business is business. This Mustang is designed to appeal to a much wider number of buyers. Most of the people making a purchasing decision will regret living with a 1LE, because it really is a track day car, they typically do not make good DD's.

Solid post! The only thing I think I might disagree with is the livability of the 1le. If it wasn't for the horrendous visibility across all lines of the Camaro I would have no issues DDing a 1Le. I've driven cars that are much more high strung and enjoyed them. It see how the common DDer might not like it, however.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
When will enough be enough though? They're going to constantly 1-UP each other on a value basis.

Chevy's lineup is still piss poor outside of their C7 and select Camaros (1LE, ZL1, Z28) imo. I really don't think they're competitive in anything else.

GM needs to take the engineers working on the ATS, CTS, C7, and special variant Camaros, and make a separate division just for them.
This! I have never owned a GM vehicle, ever. The only new car in their lineup I would buy would be the C7 but won't as I have 2 small children.

How many folks daily drive their 1LE with those tires? Trying to compare the amount that will daily drive their '15GT PP. I bet the numbers are insanely in favor of the Mustang. My point being is it seems that Ford went with a bit more civilized and live able suspension setup for the masses. Someone mentioned this earlier as well. Maybe in hindsight they should offer an option for another 2-3k that has like tires(1LE) and better track suited springs/shocks. I would ante up the money for that. Then you have the base model, PP and super PP.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The 1LE Camaro outperforms the S550, there is no real doubt. It'll be interesting to see if Chevy can top the current 1LE. Judging by the small weight loss of the C7 Corvette, and that's switching to an all aluminum chassis, I doubt the alpha Camaro will be losing too much in terms of weight if any at all. If the new 1LE improves the track times of the current 1LE, then it has been a total loss for Ford. If it doesn't, then Ford will overtake it when the refresh comes more than likely.

That's the other thing, I highly doubt the refresh is coming in 2016, more like 2018. The 2010/2011 model wasn't a relaunch, it was still a S197, just with an upgraded powertrain. This is a relaunch onto a new platform, think 2004/2005.
Right, and the 3V 4.6L was (almost?) entirely carryover. We knew about the Coyote being on the horizon, and even the official 5.0L specs beat out the projected rumors out of the water.

The Coyote came into this with not-so-insignificant upgrades and what appears to be an annoyingly restrictive set of pipes. Direct injection looks like the next logical step if the car's staying N/A and looking to be simultaneously more powerful and fuel efficient. But DI adds what, maybe 10% more peak power? It really just makes the overall band more tractable and boosts low end torque. And makes the car much more fuel efficient.

And makes engines sound like diesels at idle.
And typically leads to some lovely carbon build up on the intake valves...

...on second thought, I'll be fine without DI.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I could live with a race car with a license plate, but my point was most people. Most people are concerned with prop rods, wheel color, coolant bottles etc as well. I meant to say if people were making their purchasing decision based on the magazine track test they would typically disappointed with it on a daily basis. I think as a DD the Mustang wins hands down.

Sponsored

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang kona blue v6
I really hope you are right :thumbsup:

The SS550 is a brand new car and they obviously need more time with it. When the Camaro first came out it was a DOG! The Camaro turned it around and is an all star now. The S550 has all the right tools to make a GREAT car...
People dont want to believe that the engine tranny changes are coming next year but they are...the suspension and weight would prob be in 17...I just want might to be faster on the straight then the comparable car. My 11 v6 beats everything in it price range and a lot of things that Were/are higher stock for stock ...I'm looking for that in gt form...this car is on a great platform to start with. And it will get there just like how the 5.0 destroyed competition at the time. I think I'm gonna wait till they add to this platform some more unless I get a great deal because that interior is too great

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile

To be honest one upping is what I expect from any car company in any segment. A luxury car should be more luxurious than its predecessor. The family car should have better features, higher gas mileage, etc. Sports cars should handle better, go faster, etc, etc. Taking a step back in any category is a fail.

100% agree that Chevys line up is piss poor. Ford beats them in most lines. There are four or five Fords I would own. There are two Chevies I would own.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
People dont want to believe that the engine tranny changes are coming next year but they are...the suspension and weight would prob be in 17...I just want might to be faster on the straight then the comparable car. My 11 v6 beats everything in it price range and a lot of things that Were/are higher stock for stock ...I'm looking for that in gt form...this car is on a great platform to start with. And it will get there just like how the 5.0 destroyed competition at the time. I think I'm gonna wait till they add to this platform some more unless I get a great deal because that interior is too great
I don't believe engine and Tranny changes will happen next year unless you are simply talking about DI. I wasn't even in the market and anyone that was a car guy knew the 5.0 was coming WELL in advance. The writing was on the wall and if you bought a 4.6 the last year it's because you wanted a deal or weren't paying attention. I have seen no such news about a new motor or anything outside of vague DI discussions....and let's be real DI is a nice add but it isn't a game changer. Ford would have to uncork the engine and add DI to add even close to the value of the 4.6 to 5.0 upgrade. The shift from 4.6 to 5.0 was almost 100hp. That type of shift would take a normal GT to 520hp all the while facing stricter Cafe standards. Ford has no reason to make this shift anyway. The 5.0 coyote is still comparable to the LT1. It isn't the engine that's holding this car back....Ford needs to go back to the lab with a pen and a pad and start looking at suspension changes improvements..

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Sorry, but they aren't. Any upgrade won't be until 2018. We would have heard about it already and they would be testing it, but there's nothing out there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.