Sponsored

FP track struts/ or pedders/bc racing coil overs for spirited canyon runs and occasional track days?

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Looking for suggestion for people who to canyons a lot and occasionally track their cars. I have a Base PP GT. My current mods are

BMR: K-member Brace
BMR: CB005R cradle lockout
BMR: CB762R subframe sipport brace
BMR: Performance Springs
BMR: front rear sway bars
Whiteline: endlinks
Steeda: Alignment kit.
SR: Vertical Links

i dont know which is better getting the ford performance struts and shocks with BMR handling springs or just go coilovers thats around the same price like Pedders extreme CA or BC racing. For spirited canyon runs and occational track days. Thanks
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Looking for suggestion for people who to canyons a lot and occasionally track their cars. I have a Base PP GT. My current mods are

BMR: K-member Brace
BMR: CB005R cradle lockout
BMR: CB762R subframe sipport brace
BMR: Performance Springs
BMR: front rear sway bars
Whiteline: endlinks
Steeda: Alignment kit.
SR: Vertical Links

i dont know which is better getting the ford performance struts and shocks with BMR handling springs or just go coilovers thats around the same price like Pedders extreme CA or BC racing. For spirited canyon runs and occational track days. Thanks
I would post this up in the suspension forums. I have the FRPP track kit which includes the struts and shocks, the car is very good. However, going down the C/O setup starts putting you down the rabbit hole. What spring rates and such as well as having the car corner-balanced among other things.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Go with the shocks, struts, and "big springs". That's already more than you need to be running in Intermediate and even Advanced run groups, provided that you do your part (springs not really being necessary, and trust me on that). There aren't any canyons out here, but I've never met a curve, corner, or highway ramp I wouldn't take up the challenge from.

Bargain-priced coilovers are generally best left for the stance crowd.

The most commonly recommended damper choices here seem to be the Ford Performance and Bilsteins. Koni yellows are at least an alternative, though they tend to be on the harsh side at least initially (this may be an artifact of their twin-tube design). Starting them out close to full soft and letting them "wear in" helps a lot with that, particularly with springs of typical "handling spring" stiffness.

Norm

OP
OP

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Just get the shocks and struts and be happy. They'll ride better than those coilovers and it'll handle well, though I'd go with the min drop 0.9" front over the 1.2" front drop.
I think the bmr springs are 1.2 front .5 rears. Unless i het other springs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Go with the shocks, struts, and "big springs". That's already more than you need to be running in Intermediate and even Advanced run groups, provided that you do your part (springs not really being necessary, and trust me on that). There aren't any canyons out here, but I've never met a curve, corner, or highway ramp I wouldn't take up the challenge from.

Bargain-priced coilovers are generally best left for the stance crowd.

The most commonly recommended damper choices here seem to be the Ford Performance and Bilsteins. Koni yellows are at least an alternative, though they tend to be on the harsh side at least initially (this may be an artifact of their twin-tube design). Starting them out close to full soft and letting them "wear in" helps a lot with that, particularly with springs of typical "handling spring" stiffness.

Norm
Thanks. Yea was just wondering if those CO are any good. But if no one uses them on the track then i guess they arent good enough

OP
OP

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Just get the shocks and struts and be happy. They'll ride better than those coilovers and it'll handle well, though I'd go with the min drop 0.9" front over the 1.2" front drop.

With FP struts and shocks, Do you suggest keeping the performance spring which is rated at 150/700 or go with BMR handling spring which is rated 250/900?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
With FP struts and shocks, Do you suggest keeping the performance spring which is rated at 150/700 or go with BMR handling spring which is rated 250/900?
Just get the minimum drop front: SP089, and keep your current rear springs. Same spring rate as the performance spring front, just a tad higher. It still looks fantastic.

OP
OP

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Just get the minimum drop front: SP089, and keep your current rear springs. Same spring rate as the performance spring front, just a tad higher. It still looks fantastic.
Whats the drop for minimum drop front? .5? .7?

and ive been using the 1.2, since its the same spring rate, why cant i just keep it? Is it bec of the new struts? Am i gna rub? Sorry for asking too many questions i just wanna understand it a bit better.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Whats the drop for minimum drop front? .5? .7?

and ive been using the 1.2, since its the same spring rate, why cant i just keep it? Is it bec of the new struts? Am i gna rub? Sorry for asking too many questions i just wanna understand it a bit better.
0.9" drop

You don't have to change it, but the car will overall perform better with the front and rear a little closer to each other. 1.2"/0.5" drops is a lot of rake.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
0.9" drop

You don't have to change it, but the car will overall perform better with the front and rear a little closer to each other. 1.2"/0.5" drops is a lot of rake.
Thanks. Very helpful. Last two questions sir, so do you prefer the BMR performance springs than the BMR Handling springs when oaired to FP track Struts/shocks? And regarding rake, why would even BMR made 1.2/.5 in the first place? Does anybody knows the spring rate of the FP track springs? Coz i couldnt find it anywhere

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
why would even BMR made 1.2/.5 in the first place?
my guess, they were anticipating people running drag radials or other tall-sidewall in the rear for that 'phat' look and slamming the front for similarly-minded "all looks" criteria, not actual performance.

OP
OP

Jmab.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
my guess, they were anticipating people running drag radials or other tall-sidewall in the rear for that 'phat' look and slamming the front for similarly-minded "all looks" criteria, not actual performance.
I mean they could have done that on their BMR drag springs. Their track handling springs doesnt even have the minimum drop, only on performance springs. Weird lol

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I mean they could have done that on their BMR drag springs. Their track handling springs doesnt even have the minimum drop, only on performance springs. Weird lol
The handling springs have drops of 0.9" / 0.75" F/R.
BMR released the SP763 spring set with the minimum drop performance fronts a couple of years ago. IMO, it should just be the performance spring setup, but hey, some people really want to lower the car a lot with staggered tire sizes.
Sponsored