Sponsored

"Bad" Lifters?

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2018 GT PP1, with only 12k miles on it. I bought it used with 7k miles on it about a year ago. My car has a lot of the "normal" characteristics of a Coyote V8 of this generation. I have a mild BBQ tick and I also have the 2k rattle. Other than that, to me it runs really well and is honestly the thrill of a life time.

I was at a gas station filling up last night.... A very nice gentlemen pulls up beside my car... He's driving probably about a 2005 Shelby GT 350. He told me, he heard me pull up into the gas station and said my cars lifters are going bad. He said he could tell by the pops and burbles the car was making in 1st gear at about 10 mph or less.

He said the same thing happened to his car a million years ago and Ford replaced the entire engine. He said if I leave it like it is, the motor will eventually fail.

I have basically stock everything on this car except the wheels. The motor runs smooth other than the before mentioned "normal" noises. It never has any weird shakes or hesitations... it's just smooth. The stock exhaust has normal little pops and burbles in 1st gear off throttle coasting at low speeds.... At least mine always has.

I realize this is probably one of the most stupid and most uninformed posts this forum has ever seen, but I have no idea what the heck happened in my gas station visit.

What do you guys think of this whole thing?

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
IIRC lifters aren't an issue in the Coyote. If the car runs well and you're sure the tick and the rattle are THE tick and rattle IMHO you have no problem. Lifters don't make pops or burbles, they generally clatter on start up after the oil has drained and sometimes thereafter if they don't retain a any pressure at all. Even then it's generally not loud enough to be heard from a distance with the car running and hood down.

He may be confused.

Maybe have someone do a drive past in quiet mode and see if you hear anything you aren't comfortable with.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You're fine, it's normal under the conditions you described. Pops are unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. This is most prominent when the engine is cold because the fuel mapping dumps more fuel into the combustion chamber until everything warms up.

Mine also does this fwiw, especially noticeable with the aftermarket exhaust. It's mostly just when the engine is cold when I'm letting off of first gear.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I would have told him thank you for his concern, snickered under my breath and moved on with my life.

Not sure how that dude can tell the lifters on a DOHC motor are failing, but I would take his advice with less than a grain of salt.
This. Old school ear doesn't apply to modern tech.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for their replies! You have helped put my mind at ease for that gentlemen's initial opinion.

The worst my motor sounds is while reving it as it has just been started. If you're willing too.... please listen to the following 2 videos.... do you hear "rod knock" or anything crazy like that? I feel like I just have the 2k rattle and BARELY a BBQ tick... it's not bad at all once the motor is warmed up. These videos were shot as it was still warming up. (In the second video you can really hear the backfire he was talking about as well).

Thank you again everyone and looking forward to your feedback!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Definitely no rod knock in those 2 videos, you would hear a very distinct clank with that.

You're under warranty right? I would not loose any sleep over the sounds your engine is making. If something is wrong and you do have rod knock, you just take it to Ford and let them deal with it.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely no rod knock in those 2 videos, you would hear a very distinct clank with that.

You're under warranty right? I would not loose any sleep over the sounds your engine is making. If something is wrong and you do have rod knock, you just take it to Ford and let them deal with it.
Does anything in any of those videos sound off at all to you? Just walked by a 2018 or 2019 GT and it was ticking like CRAZY on idle as I walked by it. This one has a mild tick and the 2k rattle is pretty bad, but in these videos is the WORST it sounds at any point. I'm still under bumper-to-bumper warranty for about 4 months.... but then the powertrain warranty is good until the start of 2023.

I'm very pleased with how the car performs, I'm just curious if it sounds ok to other Mustang owners... I have nothing to compare it to.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Tell him to F off. Dude has no clue. He was just trying to school you on nothing...

Should of asked him if he wants to run them title 4 title? lol.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I was at a gas station filling up last night.... A very nice gentlemen pulls up beside my car... He's driving probably about a 2005 Shelby GT 350. He told me, he heard me pull up into the gas station and said my cars lifters are going bad. He said he could tell by the pops and burbles the car was making in 1st gear at about 10 mph or less.

He said the same thing happened to his car a million years ago and Ford replaced the entire engine. He said if I leave it like it is, the motor will eventually fail.

What do you guys think of this whole thing?
The guy with the 2005 model doesn't know the normal characteristics of the Gen3 Coyote.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That guy was clueless....

And, technically, the Coyote doesn't utilize lifters. The closest thing to a lifter in a Coyote is a hydraulic lash adjuster.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for their replies! You have helped put my mind at ease for that gentlemen's initial opinion.

The worst my motor sounds is while reving it as it has just been started. If you're willing too.... please listen to the following 2 videos.... do you hear "rod knock" or anything crazy like that? I feel like I just have the 2k rattle and BARELY a BBQ tick... it's not bad at all once the motor is warmed up. These videos were shot as it was still warming up. (In the second video you can really hear the backfire he was talking about as well).

Thank you again everyone and looking forward to your feedback!

I hear a little rattle as it starts to wind up. Thing is, that may very well be normal. I'm going to pay attention to mine tomorrow morning and take a vid just like yours. As others have said, these engines seem to make plenty of noises. I have the 2K rattle and intermittent BBQ tick and I've learned, grudgingly, to stop worrying about it.

Does it have any sort of tune?

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear a little rattle as it starts to wind up. Thing is, that may very well be normal. I'm going to pay attention to mine tomorrow morning and take a vid just like yours. As others have said, these engines seem to make plenty of noises. I have the 2K rattle and intermittent BBQ tick and I've learned, grudgingly, to stop worrying about it.

Does it have any sort of tune?
It is completely stock. That’s about the worst the motor sounds in that video pretty much at any time.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
It is completely stock. That’s about the worst the motor sounds in that video pretty much at any time.
I took a vid this morning and I'm happy to say it sounds EXACTLY like yours. I'm just having some issues uploading the video and will try later...

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took a vid this morning and I'm happy to say it sounds EXACTLY like yours. I'm just having some issues uploading the video and will try later...
Cool!!! Thank you for the follow up! Looking forward to seeing this video when possible. I'm really glad to hear that. Unrelated, but is it crazy I've spent time before going through car reviews on youtube of our cars... trying to see if I can hear the 2k rattle? I hear it sometimes, hahaha.
Sponsored