Sponsored

Auto headlights, yes or no?

Do you keep it on auto headlight?

• Yes

Votes: 121 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Popeye’s makes great chicken sandwiches.

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
We are talking about the headlights, not the tri bars. The headlights are on as the DRLs by default. You can turn this feature off, leaving only the tri bars as your DRLs (which looks better)
The DRL's in the S550 have created a lot of confusion of the past 6+ years. You are 100% correct. The tri -bar lights are not the DRL's, they are considered signature lights and are on all the time. The DRL's use the main headlights just at a lower power. DRL's are not a waste and they will not hasten the demise of your headlights. They are a safety feature and one that has proven itself over the years. Anything you can do to let others see your car has its benefits. Of course, if you are not interested in a little extra assistance for the safety of your car feel free to turn them off. :)
Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
No.
Don't want any lights on. (headlites anyway)
The car has never been driven in the dark anyway.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
The DRL's in the S550 have created a lot of confusion of the past 6+ years. You are 100% correct. The tri -bar lights are not the DRL's, they are considered signature lights and are on all the time. The DRL's use the main headlights just at a lower power. DRL's are not a waste and they will not hasten the demise of your headlights. They are a safety feature and one that has proven itself over the years. Anything you can do to let others see your car has its benefits. Of course, if you are not interested in a little extra assistance for the safety of your car feel free to turn them off. :)
Everybody knows DRLs are a safety feature, are you under the impression that this is being argued?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Everybody knows DRLs are a safety feature, are you under the impression that this is being argued?
No. But members are saying they don’t like the headlights being on during the day. Some have reasons, some don’t, but the fact that it is a safety feature doesn’t seem to matter.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I don't trust anything or anybody, I do all my light selection manually and always have.

Every time I start the car I turn on the headlights and fog lights, day or night doesn't matter to me, mainly because I am a big douche and think it looks cool.

TC

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. But members are saying they don’t like the headlights being on during the day. Some have reasons, some don’t, but the fact that it is a safety feature doesn’t seem to matter.
It's just an aesthetic thing for those of us who want it off. The tri bar gives you some visibility anyways

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
In my particular case, if you need headlights on during the day to to help you see my Need for Green Mustang better, you have bigger problems and probably shouldn’t be driving!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
It's just an aesthetic thing for those of us who want it off. The tri bar gives you some visibility anyways
See that’s the part I do not understand. What aesthetics? They are your headlights. You don’t see them when you are driving. Do you think other drivers see you coming and say, “look at that idiot in the Mustang with his lights on”? And even if they did who cares? In this day and age safety and visibility over looks is the right move.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
In my particular case, if you need headlights on during the day to to help you see my Need for Green Mustang better, you have bigger problems and probably shouldn’t be driving!
LOL. Actually if they can’t see your NFG without headlights you are the one with a problem. :like:

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
See that’s the part I do not understand. What aesthetics? They are your headlights. You don’t see them when you are driving. Do you think other drivers see you coming and say, “look at that idiot in the Mustang with his lights on”? And even if they did who cares? In this day and age safety and visibility over looks is the right move.

I don't think most drivers give that a thought anymore,, I remember years ago when Chevy 1st started using DRL's on their trucks and those were stoopidly bright and Yes at 1st I thought they were driving around with their lights on bright during the day being douchbags, then realized they were DRL's.

I've been running with my headlighs 'Auto On" on all my vehicles since that option was available on the 2002 Dodge Intrepid we bought way back then .. Now it's kinda like cruise control for me,, I can't drive without it.

My wife OToH turns the headlights off when she drives my truck and I can't count the number of times I've gotten in that thing, left work at night, and started down the road before I figured out the headlights were off ...

I'm pretty sure she does it on purpose just for something else to aggravate the crap outta me ..

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my 20 years of driving I've only had somebody run into me once and it was at night where we both had our lights on. I'm not concerned about maximum visibility since I am a defensive driver anyways. You better put reflectors all over your car if you're so concerned

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
In my 20 years of driving I've only had somebody run into me once and it was at night where we both had our lights on. I'm not concerned about maximum visibility since I am a defensive driver anyways. You better put reflectors all over your car if you're so concerned
Will you turn on your daytime lights so his reflectors have something to reflect? If not, what's the point?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The DRL's in the S550 have created a lot of confusion of the past 6+ years. You are 100% correct. The tri -bar lights are not the DRL's, they are considered signature lights and are on all the time. The DRL's use the main headlights just at a lower power.
That may be the cause of the confusion, and perhaps the reason why the option mentioned earlier is not present on non-US vehicles.
In Europe the tri-bars are the DRLs. They're on on full power when the headlights are off, and they automatically switch to lower power when the headlights are turned on. There's no way to turn them off completely (not without Forscan, anyway, and I'm not even sure about Forscan).

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
No.
Don't want any lights on. (headlites anyway)
The car has never been driven in the dark anyway.
Got that right .......... Just like driving in the rain. Headlight use causes diminished value. :wink:
Sponsored