Sponsored

Is it possible to create a ride as smooth as the factory magneride system?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
I have a 2019 pp1 gt and it handles like a dog. Every bump I hit my the back end jumps 3 times and it’s not confidence inspiring. In the aftermarket could I piece together coil overs and other suspension parts that would rival if not better the praised magneride?
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Magnaride is pretty amazing stuff. Its computer controlled and constantly adjusting the shocks to get that buttery smooth ride which is still well controlled in the corners. I don't think you're going to match that across all the different conditions with an effectively static tuned system.

But you can make good progress - PP1 wheels are very heavy, upgrade to some lighter aftermarket flow formed wheels. You can upgrade to two piece rotors to save a few more lbs of unsprung weight, but they're kind of pricey. After that its all shocks.

The PP1 stock shocks were kind of underdampened. Add a couple of tens of thousands of miles of shock deterioration and they're even worse. The back end jumping three times is probably due to not having enough shock rate to settle the suspension. Bilstein would be my recommendation there. Even Konis Sports (yellows) rode a lot better at high speed than the factory shocks, but Bilsteins should be better yet. Aftermarket solid rear shock mounts can remove some the extra bounce (and let the shocks do their job) but its not really a large difference.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 2019 pp1 gt and it handles like a dog. Every bump I hit my the back end jumps 3 times and it’s not confidence inspiring. In the aftermarket could I piece together coil overs and other suspension parts that would rival if not better the praised magneride?
I wrote the mentioned thread below let me know if you have any questions. You will be happy with the package from Steeda it will improve the ride significantly. It still won’t ride like a Lincoln but it will be tolerable and still have great handling. It fixes the rear end bounce. The rear shocks from the factory are garbage. One of the reason people think the magnaride is so amazing is because the non magnaride suspension is hot garbage.

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
How much is install on this kit? Ball park? On stock base 2020 Mustang GT.

Sponsored

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
How much is install on this kit? Ball park? On stock base 2020 Mustang GT.
Steeda chargers 6 hours labor. The guy I took it to was proud of himself and charged 7 though. He did a good job though so i didn't complain. Its a ton of work as you have to remove / disassemble the struts, lower the rear subframe etc. and have to do a quality 4 wheel alignment.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Magnaride is pretty amazing stuff. Its computer controlled and constantly adjusting the shocks to get that buttery smooth ride which is still well controlled in the corners. I don't think you're going to match that across all the different conditions with an effectively static tuned system.

But you can make good progress - PP1 wheels are very heavy, upgrade to some lighter aftermarket flow formed wheels. You can upgrade to two piece rotors to save a few more lbs of unsprung weight, but they're kind of pricey. After that its all shocks.

The PP1 stock shocks were kind of underdampened. Add a couple of tens of thousands of miles of shock deterioration and they're even worse. The back end jumping three times is probably due to not having enough shock rate to settle the suspension. Bilstein would be my recommendation there. Even Konis Sports (yellows) rode a lot better at high speed than the factory shocks, but Bilsteins should be better yet. Aftermarket solid rear shock mounts can remove some the extra bounce (and let the shocks do their job) but its not really a large difference.

The two things you can't really replicate are the degree of swing in the dampening effort and the ability of the system to "know" what you are doing. Magneride can adjust the damping force so that when you do an aggressive turn of the wheel the dampening goes through the roof to give you that very crisp turn in that you feel in a racecar. Put simply is can adjust the dampening based upon lots of input that are independent of wheel movement, something a totally in shock system can't do. I think people put too much into how much a damper does sometimes. A damper can only affect the rate at which you roll not how much.. it can only help at the edges with ride quality not overcome a stiff spring. My navigator has magneride and it doesn't magically handle like an s2000. It rides very well but still corners like an aircraft carrier because they matches the springs for comfort.

I think this system works well because it combines a good progressive spring, a good set of shocks, and a bit of lowering. You get softer feel at the edges but when the body starts to move it stiffens up and you have a bit of lowering which helps get the CG lower and lower the amount of roll. I agree the next step would be to lower the unsprung weight as the ratio of unsprung is very high on the mustang with the heavy tire/wheel and brakes.

Its a good "spirited" driving on the road system I wouldn't recommend it for someone who wants to track the car.

Matt

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
understand that a suspensions is a compromise. If you improve one area, you will sacrifice another. The Mustang is not a luxury car.

Here are a few items I found doing a search that you might be interested in before swapping to a softer suspension. Some good, some bad.

https://itstillruns.com/soften-car-suspension-6833310.html

http://www.superstreetonline.com/ho...standing-your-cars-suspension-getting-stiffed

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10385629/why-stiff-suspensions-have-less-grip/

Bad things about softer suspension
https://www.torque.com.sg/features/soft-suspension-keen-drivers-dont/

some more good info

This is about trucks but I think it applies. Still a good video

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steve, you can give our tech team a call to discuss different packages if you would like - our techs are available at 1800 950 0774.

Thanks!

TJ

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Out of curiosity, why did you buy a PP1 if you do not like the ride?

Did you try a base GT? Sounds like a base GT might have been better for you. Of course, the Magnaride sounds like it would have helped as well but I understand it is a costly option..

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Magneride is fantastic for giving multiple purpose setup, as I see it thoug only two modes normal and track are the ones really usable(potentially the drag-mode as well)
For most people these two(three) settings are fully sufficient. For some the track mode is to soft (me included).

But being able to go from soft to harder setting with a flip of a button is golden.

However if the car is not equipped with such tech a god set of adjustable coilovers would be a fantastic upgrade.
E.g. Öhlins road and track however this would require manual intervention depending on the driving style and conditions. A good set of coilovers will give more control and can be setup to be more comfort oriented.
With that said it is an expensive proposition.

Also swaybars is a good option to tighten up the car without sacrifice of the ride comfort.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
On my PP1 2016 GT, I did Steeda's Stop The Hop starter kit, their Pro Action Adjustable shocks & struts, and aluminum rear vertical links with poly bushings.

I can say, that suspension was better than my 2019's Magneride. It handled better, and had a better ride quality. It was a magic carpet of control and comfort. Supreme control. The Magneride is a bit more flinty, not as premium feeling. I use Track all the time, and it still isn't as good as my 2016 Steeda suspension.

And FYI, the 2016 also had Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, which give an amazing ride quality, but sacrifice steering feel.

Now if Steeda could do something about improving the 0 steering feel in Mustangs, we'd really be getting somewhere. But I think EPAS is the main culprit.

Last edited:

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Out of curiosity, why did you buy a PP1 if you do not like the ride?

Did you try a base GT? Sounds like a base GT might have been better for you. Of course, the Magneride sounds like it would have helped as well but I understand it is a costly option..
Enhanced cooling, 3.55 Torsen diff, better tires/wheels adds up to a pretty cost effective upgrade package before they raised the cost. I wanted magneride when i bought mine... there was not a single car with an auto +401a with magneride in the state of Texas when I purchased. There were 2 in LA but they guy wanted over MSRP vs 7 below that I got here. I didnt feel like driving 4 hours to pay 9k more for that option. Now that they raised the cost they really should have magneride in all PP1 cars.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Enhanced cooling, 3.55 Torsen diff, better tires/wheels adds up to a pretty cost effective upgrade package before they raised the cost. I wanted magneride when i bought mine... there was not a single car with an auto +401a with magneride in the state of Texas when I purchased. There were 2 in LA but they guy wanted over MSRP vs 7 below that I got here. I didnt feel like driving 4 hours to pay 9k more for that option. Now that they raised the cost they really should have magneride in all PP1 cars.
forgive me. When I first read your thread I was under the impression you were looking for a softer ride. Now I understand you just want to get rid of the hop the PP1 has.

For me, the PP2 only came with Magnaride. I happen to see it on the lot and didn't leave it until it was mine. Really liked the PP2 and had done my research and that was all I wanted. Was willing to wait until one turned up but got lucky. Got a good deal and got a great trade in price for a car that had 3 engine blocks replaced and the axles by Toyota. It was a design flaw in the piston rings which they fixed and destroyed the block, then the balance shafts and then ripped the CV joint boots on both sides. After that, i was looking to get away from Toyota as fast as possible. I guess their service dept doesn't get much work so their skills declined. Usually their cars are good. I guess that means their service work gets poor from lack of practice :). Either that or I got a bad mechanic.

All the best with fixing the hop. Will post again when I find something specific to your issue that will help.

Good luck.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
forgive me. When I first read your thread I was under the impression you were looking for a softer ride. Now I understand you just want to get rid of the hop the PP1 has.

For me, the PP2 only came with Magnaride. I happen to see it on the lot and didn't leave it until it was mine. Really liked the PP2 and had done my research and that was all I wanted. Was willing to wait until one turned up but got lucky. Got a good deal and got a great trade in price for a car that had 3 engine blocks replaced and the axles by Toyota. It was a design flaw in the piston rings which they fixed and destroyed the block, then the balance shafts and then ripped the CV joint boots on both sides. After that, i was looking to get away from Toyota as fast as possible. I guess their service dept doesn't get much work so their skills declined. Usually their cars are good. I guess that means their service work gets poor from lack of practice :). Either that or I got a bad mechanic.

All the best with fixing the hop. Will post again when I find something specific to your issue that will help.

Good luck.
I didnt really want the MT-82 because of all the issues people had reported in it and of course the PSC2 tires are really only track tires and I was planning on doing street driving with the car. Interesting enough I may be looking at a block for my mustang soon. Its burning about 1qt of oil every 1000 miles at the moment.
Sponsored