Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
My apologies for not being a more active member....As the title says my dealer has reached out to me twice in the past 3 weeks.

Thank you for being a loyal Ford customer. We appreciate your business!

There is currently a shortage of good used vehicles, and we have a need for pre-owned Mustangs. We would like to purchase your 2015 Mustang.

It's my wifes 2015 Ecoboost Premium at 33K with title in hand,she gave her blessings to talk to the dealer. I told her I'd get her a better one if she agrees....The cars going in for an oil change next week and I plan on talking to them about ordering a 2020 GT Premium that MSRPed at $48K. It doesn't hurt to talk and crunch a few numbers . If they give me a number I can't refuse it will be a done deal. I may be dreaming but I'm looking to get around 18K trade-in (KBB is in that range), if they really low ball me then possibly a private sale or check with another dealer. I'm in no rush. Nothing wrong with the Ecoboost, in fact we love it, but I've always wanted a GT and I think in todays market it maybe a good time to buy & sell. If the car I want to order is $48K what kind of a discount on MSRP can I anticipate? I'm looking to finance around $30-32K out the door...Am I being realistic or am I just dreaming? Opinions welcomed....TIA
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
My apologies for not being a more active member....As the title says my dealer has reached out to me twice in the past 3 weeks.

Thank you for being a loyal Ford customer. We appreciate your business!

There is currently a shortage of good used vehicles, and we have a need for pre-owned Mustangs. We would like to purchase your 2015 Mustang.

It's my wifes 2015 Ecoboost Premium at 33K with title in hand,she gave her blessings to talk to the dealer. I told her I'd get her a better one if she agrees....The cars going in for an oil change next week and I plan on talking to them about ordering a 2020 GT Premium that MSRPed at $48K. It doesn't hurt to talk and crunch a few numbers . If they give me a number I can't refuse it will be a done deal. I may be dreaming but I'm looking to get around 18K trade-in (KBB is in that range), if they really low ball me then possibly a private sale or check with another dealer. I'm in no rush. Nothing wrong with the Ecoboost, in fact we love it, but I've always wanted a GT and I think in todays market it maybe a good time to buy & sell. If the car I want to order is $48K what kind of a discount on MSRP can I anticipate? I'm looking to finance around $30-32K out the door...Am I being realistic or am I just dreaming? Opinions welcomed....TIA

All those emails and letters are sales tactics they don’t actually specifically want anyone’s vehicle it’s just to draw business in. With that being said it doesn't mean you can’t get the numbers you want. Just understand that it’s nothing more than a spam email or junk mail
majority of the time less discount was given on ordered cars. If they can track one down and do a dealer trade you have a better shot of getting more off. It’s up to you though. Try to ask around for x-plan someone might have some to give, or if you get real lucky and someone can give you an A/Z pin.
if there isn’t anything crazy you are dead set on then finding a 2019 with similar options could net you 20% or more off sticker. It’s just how much work you want to do.

Last edited:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
All those emails and letters are sales tactics they don’t actually specifically want anyone’s vehicle it’s just to draw business in. With that being said it doesn't mean you can’t get the numbers you want. Just understand that it’s nothing more than a spam email or junk mail
majority of the time less discount was given on ordered cars. If they can track one down and do a dealer trade you have a better shot of getting more off. It’s up to you though. Try to ask around for x-plan someone might have some to give, or if you get real lucky and someone can give you an A/Z pin.
if there isn’t anything crazy you are dead set on then finding a 2019 with similar options could next you 20% or more off sticker. It’s just how much work you want to do.
In normal times yes, but I got well over what I was offered just 1 year ago for my car, many others are getting very high offers on carvana for their trade in, dealers here have no used GT's on the lot... Even new ones are scarce right now.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Just traded my 16 EB with 19k miles and in excellent condition.
KBB showed a max of $21k, Dealer gave me 19 for the trade.
Dealer gave me x plan pricing on a 20 GT PP1.
With another $5k deposit, my financing is $28k.
$360 a month with zero percent interest.

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
if there isn’t anything crazy you are dead set on then finding a 2019 with similar options could next you 20% or more off sticker. It’s just how much work you want to do.

I realize that...they’ve actually called me and text me too.I’ve searched dealer inventories up to 500 miles away...nothing really interests me with the options I want...really not much to choose from so I’ll order to my liking.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
In normal times yes, but I got well over what I was offered just 1 year ago for my car, many others are getting very high offers on carvana for their trade in, dealers here have no used GT's on the lot... Even new ones are scarce right now.
I understand that the supply and demand factor may be playing a factor here. But that doesn’t take away from it’s just a mass produced letter and call/text list.
I worked at a high volume ford dealer. We had an entire team of peoples whose sole job was to send texts to any person who ever visited the dealer for service, called, walked in, or had any contact whatsoever.
If you are getting a much higher price for your trade in then chances are the vehicle you are buying will reflect a higher price as well. The supply and demand works just as well In the dealers favor as it does yours.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You’ve got a car that’s probably already paid off, and the dealer is looking to get you to upgrade to a new car and maybe get another 30k out of your pocket.

if you want to uograde to a GT the smartest way is to take your time, find a used GT that had already taken the biggest part of the depreciation hit, and sell your car private party. About a year and a half ago I was getting those form letters and texts too to try to get me to upgrade and trade in, but I’d rather have this car paid off and 80-90% of the utility of a new car, versus a brand new GT off the lot and debt for a few more years.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I realize the situations are different but I'll share my story so you gave a real world example.
I bought my used '18 EB convertible in late July of '19 so only a year ago but pre pandemic from a local Ford dealer. It had a new sticker price of $39k. I paid $20,650 before taxes and fees. I had a '12 Edge (in excellent condition but high mileage]) I was considering trading. It has a street value of $5-6k. Their offer was $1800. I know it's not a Mustang but the Edge is a very popular mid size SUV. Since I have a utility trailer I've kept the Edge as a tow vehicle.
On another note there are two Ford dealers within 15 minutes of my house. I've recently been to both and they don't seem to be lacking in new Mustangs. One had 8 new ones and at least 4 used, the other had a dozen new. There were convertibles, both GT and EB, there were Bullets and a High Performance EB so not really a shortage in this area.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It all depends on what area of the country and the local supply of cars. For example Me and my buddy went around to 7 ford dealers to get a value on his car for taxes( county was trying to screw him) we acted like we were selling and trading So they would actually do it and not blow us off. He has a 2019 need for green pp1 mustang GT premium that had a 52k window and is fully loaded and is less then a year old. Most any one would give us was 27k. Thats only worth half its value in a year.

As for the mailing, yeah those are all BS sales tactics mass mailing. youll go in go through song and dance and they wont give you anywhere near what they were claiming to be offering.

WE get those all the time from Nissan on my girlfriends juke. emails , texts.. actually they wont stop. offering 12k to 15k for the car. we finally said what the hell lets go down there. She has the nissmo version 29k new in prime condition... yeah best they said they could do was 7k. we asked about the mailings and the price. They said that was for cars in excellent condition... yeah her juke is mint like it came off the truck. I asked him whats their definition of excellent condition cause hers is perfect. blah blah blah dealer bs flew out his mouth we left.

Yeah just throw those away and dont waste your time.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's just sales tactics. Don't let dealer emails influence your decisions. I get 2 or 3 every week, as well as phone calls.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sounds like you want a new GT. So go trade mommies car and get it. But be forewarned, you’d be better off selling your car privately. They sent you the form letter to get you to the lot. They aren’t going to give you any more money on a trade deal.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Translated to. " We want to sell you a car/truck"

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Ask if they'll take the wife on trade ............ :cwl:

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Thanx for the feedback...I know things are slow and it’s a sales pitch....I’ll add to the story...retired 2 months ago @ 62 and I have a nice nest egg to spend...don’t watch to be the richest guy in cemetery so a $500 mo payment won’t break the bank...like I said no rush and if I don’t like the numbers I’ll sell it privately.

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
Before going to the dealer plug your vehicle data into vroom.com and carvana.com to see what they will buy them for straight out. Was amazed the other day when I went to both on mine and carvana was $4K higher than vroom.
Sponsored