Sponsored

Purchasing a used gt350 soon, answer my questions?

Soaring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 eco boost premium
Hey so ive been saving up for over a year to buy my dream car the gt350. Im looking for an avalanche gray near Los angeles. But before i buy a used one i have a few questions.

1. If I get a 2017+ year or newer, i understand the warranty is still attached. However, does the extended ford warranty cover costly repairs such as the engine? Im seeing all over this forum that the gt350 sometimes has the engine go bad.

2. Should i be worried about the engine issue, im spending a lot of my savings in this car.

3. should i get a gt premium instead (pls say no)
Sponsored

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Short answers:

1. Many variables go into the extended warranty, is it a CPO, how long do you plan on holding on to the car, miles you intend to drive per year, etc. Read up on “Ford ESP” plans for a ton of info/options. Many sites will allow you to plug in your van to find out exactly what the plan would cost you. No one can answer all these questions but you. The premium extended service plan option covers everything.

2. No you should not. Take care of the car, get the warranty, don’t modify the engine, and you’ll be all set. The explosions and destruction are overrated, as most things are on the inter-web forms.

3. As you requested, no! Your heart has already given you the answer to this question anyway. If this car punches all the right buttons, go for it. I came from a 19 GT, and this is in another realm.

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
By private party if you can. Find one of us to buy from, someone who loves and takes care of the car. Too much risk buying from a dealer.

With care the motor/cars can be very reliable. Guys on here with over 50K miles.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Make sure the car has not been tuned or has aftermarket powertrain modifications that could result in warranty denial. Check with Ford to make sure there is no warranty flag on the car before you buy. Try to get an Oasis report on the car.

Get the car inspected by a third party for any issues or signs of modification/damage/repair. You can usually get these types of inspections and reports for less than $200 depending on where you live.

I think buying one of these cars used it is good insurance to get the extended Ford warranty on the powertrain. These engines are expensive.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Buying a used car is like buying cat in the bag. Hit or miss.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Buying a used car is like buying cat in the bag. Hit or miss.
Well buying a new car is not always straightforward either. Some brand new cars have sustained damage that had very shoddy repair (or no repair) and then not disclosed and sold as brand new. Example of this on the forum today. We also have seen brand new 19's and 20's with under 1K miles have valve issues that require all new engines. There is zero guarantee.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Well buying a new car is not always straightforward either. Some brand new cars have sustained damage that had very shoddy repair (or no repair) and then not disclosed and sold as brand new. Example of this on the forum today. We also have seen brand new 19's and 20's with under 1K miles have valve issues that require all new engines. There is zero guarantee.
Yep, no arguing here. And IMO, it seems that with Ford it's more so.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
By private party if you can. Find one of us to buy from, someone who loves and takes care of the car. Too much risk buying from a dealer.

With care the motor/cars can be very reliable. Guys on here with over 50K miles.
From my experience with my own engines and my friends/buddies with 350s, how much you love and take care of the car won't affect the likelihood that you experience a failure (at least with this particular motor). I've seen brand new motors seize, track rat motors seize, Sunday car meet motors seize, DD motors seize, etc. The only real common threads I've seen - most failures happen early-ish (under 10k miles), the 2018 and earlier cars are more prone to oil burn/engine seizing, and 2019+ cars have had some valve failures.

Last edited:

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
Depends on how your going to use the car. If not going to track it i'd say the get GT with full warranty and built to your spec.

OP
OP

Soaring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 eco boost premium
Also, the one I’m looking at currently has 16500 miles, should I be worried

Sponsored

Tom14ct14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Also, the one I’m looking at currently has 16500 miles, should I be worried
It depends would be my answer. The rate of failure is to be said in the same realm as any other car out there. This is just a concentrated group of owners of the same car so those who have blown the motor will be posting about it here. The reason I say it depends on the above car is, When does its warranty run out? How many miles do you plan on driving it? By having a higher mileage car, the extended warranty will cost more. If I still have my car next year, I will buy the extended warrant but since I only drive my car 6 months of the year I will be able to buy with the 8 year 36,000 mile ESP. So this is a cost that I would consider vs a lower mileage car. Depending on your needs you might save $1500+ on the ESP. Of course, I would think it shouldn't be a make or break point for you but a consideration. I would say make sure there are no mods on the car, and get the ESP. If you plan on tracking the car, I would not be in fear of buying a tracked car (in general I wouldn't care no matter your plans) because people who track their car, generally make sure the mechanical parts are working correctly and they take care of it. I would be more worried about someone who doesn't check the oil ever.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
A 2017 will likely be outside of warranty. I have a 17 and bought a 8 year 3rd party from Endurance.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on saving up for your dream car ! You’re obviously an advanced car guy and have landed on the best ever performance car in this era for the money. Also having a Los Angeles DSO OF 71” is a badge of dry / good roads experience. Up here in Idaho And snow belts they age faster. Get the vin of your future SHELBY, call your local Ford f&i and he will Give you its “ in service warranty date ; if it’s under 5yr then it can be inspected ( if it passes then your golden with Ford ) there and a premium Ford warranty is available ( mine was for 4 more years and 2800$) also then have them run the Ford Oasis for any problems. A GT350 with some reasonable miles may have proven its reliability .

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
1. If I get a 2017+ year or newer, i understand the warranty is still attached. However, does the extended ford warranty cover costly repairs such as the engine? Im seeing all over this forum that the gt350 sometimes has the engine go bad.

Factory warranty and most ESPs transfer . If you're worried you can get an ESP quote on Ford as long as the factory warranty isn't expired.

2. Should i be worried about the engine issue, im spending a lot of my savings in this car.

Yes and no. Yes, so'll you'll do your part - check and change oil regularly, ensure the oil is @ full operating temp (190*F) prior to play time, don't live @ 8k or lug below 2k. Also no, it's under warranty, don't tune it and if it goes just hang in there for the new motor.

Depends, My GTPP was much more street friendly, usable low power but no where near as fun or intoxicating. It's a Shelby. Period.

3Pedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jaguar XF S SportBrake 2014 Lexus LX570 2017 MINI Clubman S All4 6MT
I had the same question. I've been searching for a 2019+ GT or 2017+ GT350 and have learned a ton from this Forum, first post today.
I was initially looking for a GT PP1 or PP2 but have read so many negative things about the MT-82 6-speed Getrag manual on the GT Forum here and the class action lawsuit doesn't help. I know it may be a small percentage but I'd hate to be the unlucky one who gets a bad one. There are some amazing deals on 2019 GT's and I'm still tempted to take my chances on the MT-82, ex. New 2019 in OKC Roush Stage2

That's what brought me to the GT350 and this forum, the Tremec 6-speed, the 5.2 VooDoo, no more GT350 after 2020 (I have no interest in an Automatic GT500). There are some really good deals on Used 2017 - 2018's, there's even a New 2018 in Iowa but I'm going to focus on the 2019+ with the VooDoo Gen2 and the enhanced Tech Package with the Blind Spot, Pre-Collision and Cross-Traffic Alert - List of Changes to the 2019+
Sponsored