Sponsored

Brand new 2020 GT is drinking oil

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This may be a dumb question, but how do you know it's 2.5 quarts low now? Did you drain it and only get 7.5 quarts out?

If you are trying to estimate based on the dipstick, I don't know how accurate that is.
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
So I went and ran the car and heated it up. Didn’t really push it just some light back roads driving. When I remove the oil fill cap smoke is rolling out looks like a lit cigar.
That doesn't sound good. I'm thinking there might be a more serious problem here. I would let Ford / warranty take care of this.

Good luck to you sir!

Deleted member 35786

Try changing brands of oil maybe. Blue smoke is oil burning, black is fuel. Bottom line let Ford handle it since it’s on warranty.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've noticed more oil consumption since switching to Pennzoil Platinum, my car has used a little over a quart in total in 4300 miles. I did an oil change at 2850 and had only used half a quart in that time. Point being, oil brand and Nowack volatility matters. Most of my burn off has happened in the last 1500 miles or so since switching. But I also get on the car hard once a day at least. Ultimately you can't do much until you hit 10k, so just check often and don't worry about it. You can do a test of your own in a way. Drive the car like a grandma for a set amount of miles and stay out of the high RPM band and see if the consumption stays constant. If it does, it indicates a motor issue.

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
This may be a dumb question, but how do you know it's 2.5 quarts low now? Did you drain it and only get 7.5 quarts out?

If you are trying to estimate based on the dipstick, I don't know how a
I know how much I had to add to get it back to middle of dipstick.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So I went and ran the car and heated it up. Didn’t really push it just some light back roads driving. When I remove the oil fill cap smoke is rolling out looks like a lit cigar.
Evaporation + blowby. Do some pulls with the windows and back seats down and see if you smell oil.

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I had my oil changed in my 2020 GT at 2000 miles on the dot with Amsoil Signature. Now at 6000 miles it has burned about 2.5 quarts. The dealer is saying its normal.. and we have to wait till 10,000 miles to do an oil consumption test. Anyone run into this before?
Here is my Oil Analysis from the first oil change.

Attachments

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Just had the dealer change the oil. They used that synthetic blend swill in there and gave me a case of oil to keep in the back. Haven't had a car i needed to carry oil around in since I was in high school. Yes I did check the dipstick before i left and its right in the middle.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Give it more time/mileage.

My '19 F-150 with the 5.0 would eat a quart of oil about every 1,000 miles to start with (it's a thing with the trucks to a degree also). It began to slow somewhere around 6,000-7,000 miles and how nearing 9,000 it doesn't seem to burn any at all. I always break in engines aggressively and have never had an oil burner, but this one had me a little concerned even though warranty would have come into play if it never improved.
I'll reiterate....

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
An Oil catch can mod is popular choice.
I don't smoke cigars so I can't relate to the analogy but some oil vapors aren't uncommon in any brand

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I had my oil changed in my 2020 GT at 2000 miles on the dot with Amsoil Signature. Now at 6000 miles it has burned about 2.5 quarts.
No expert but I wonder if this contributed?
I've owned many flavors of automobiles and some many/most recommend a few more miles before a change.
I'm sure cost of ownership and how your vehicle was intended to be driven plays a factor.
I've had zero issue with consumption. I do know others have complained in the F150 & Mustang world.
Ford from what I've read and personally heard has been pretty fair to deal with on oil consumption issues.
Enjoy the car till it gets sorted out

OP
OP

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
No expert but I wonder if this contributed?
I've owned many flavors of automobiles and some many/most recommend a few more miles before a change.
I'm sure cost of ownership and how your vehicle was intended to be driven plays a factor.
I've had zero issue with consumption. I do know others have complained in the F150 & Mustang world.
Ford from what I've read and personally heard has been pretty fair to deal with on oil consumption issues.
Enjoy the car till it gets sorted out
Honda uses a high moly oil from the factory and they recommend not changing early. Ford uses Castrol edge at the factory. The first 1000 miles put a lot of extra metal in the engine and I always like to get that out and there is no such thing as too new an oil...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda uses a high moly oil from the factory and they recommend not changing early. Ford uses Castrol edge at the factory. The first 1000 miles put a lot of extra metal in the engine and I always like to get that out and there is no such thing as too new an oil...
Well you know best cuz I’m no expert.
I do know my factory oil filter at 4600 miles had zero particulate in the media. Cut it open and was very pleased with what I saw.
Too new of an oil is a subject of great debate but I’ll leave it up to the experts.
Castrol has Ford oil supply contract? Didn’t know that either. Just rebranded under Motorcraft label?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine drank oil until about 10k miles. Hasn’t drank any since. Rock solid on the dipstick. The cylinder wall coatings are very hard and take time to break in. I personally think this is why they went to a 10 quart pan. 8-2.5 is 5.5. Getting into danger zone with spirited driving.
DOHC at 7500 is a good reason for 10 as well

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I posted on this this with my 2019 and had an oil consumption test done because my car would eat roughly 2 quarts every oil change interval (5000 miles). Dealer notched my dipstick and then checked at next interval...car was down just over 2 again. Result was deemed normal and told to carry on. (I bought extended warranty out to 120,000 so I’m doing just that!) seems to be maintaining same amount over last few intervals.

I did read somewhere on the F150 forums (I believe) that the magic cutoff for Ford to have an issue with it and replace the engine was 3 qts per 5000 mile interval.

I should add that I’m assuming most of my oil is lost through blow by as I never see any oil leaking anywhere or smoke from my exhaust. I don’t have a separator on the passenger side yet like I should.

good luck, hope you get it sorted!
Sponsored