Sponsored

Mustang GT vs ... (Post whatever you've raced and how it went)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I might by wider rims. Problem with these roush rims is that they only support 285's. I'm trying to find a widr rim that looks close enough to Roush rims to throw on the back. Like to go 305's on a 10.5 or 11.
What is your rim width? And I'm assuming you have 285/35/R20 tires right now? A taller tire will have more traction for a given width than a shorter tire. So you might be able to improve your traction by going to a taller sidewall tire without having to buy new rims. 285/40/R20 will give you a larger contact patch than a 285/35/R20. It may affect the speedo a little bit, and not look as good. Aside from larger contact patch, it will also slightly reduce your rear wheel torque at the tires (due to the larger diamerter), further helping you reduce wheel spin. Your car probably makes plenty of torque to make up for that slight drop.

That said, I haven't really quantified the difference with actual measurements. It's easy to do if you can take some basic measurements of both tires on a car. Measure the width and length of the contact patch for each tire, and then find the area. For example, if the contact patch is 3" long front to back on the 285/35 you'd have about 33.7 sq in of contact area per tire (11.2" wide x 3" long). If the contact patch is 3.25" long for the 285/40/R20, the contact patch area would be 36.4 sq in. These numbers are just theoretical without measurements to show how the taller tire helps. For comparison, going to a wider tire (assume 305 width) with the same 3" length contact patch only increases area to 36.0 sq in.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
What is your rim width? And I'm assuming you have 285/35/R20 tires right now? A taller tire will have more traction for a given width than a shorter tire. So you might be able to improve your traction by going to a taller sidewall tire without having to buy new rims. 285/40/R20 will give you a larger contact patch than a 285/35/R20. It may affect the speedo a little bit, and not look as good. Aside from larger contact patch, it will also slightly reduce your rear wheel torque at the tires (due to the larger diamerter), further helping you reduce wheel spin. Your car probably makes plenty of torque to make up for that slight drop.

That said, I haven't really quantified the difference with actual measurements. It's easy to do if you can take some basic measurements of both tires on a car. Measure the width and length of the contact patch for each tire, and then find the area. For example, if the contact patch is 3" long front to back on the 285/35 you'd have about 33.7 sq in of contact area per tire (11.2" wide x 3" long). If the contact patch is 3.25" long for the 285/40/R20, the contact patch area would be 36.4 sq in. These numbers are just theoretical without measurements to show how the taller tire helps. For comparison, going to a wider tire (assume 305 width) with the same 3" length contact patch only increases area to 36.0 sq in.
yeah it's a 285/35/20. Nitto has a 275/40/20's. Might look at those but I think the tires are just done. Knock on the R888r's is how long they last. After thinking about it more I believe I got 5000-6000 miles out of them which is the norm for those tires.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Nitto 555RII is available in 275/35/20 or 285/30/20 that mount on to the 9.5 inch Roush wheels. I’m personally going to go with 275/35/20 on my car.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto Base Model (light weight baby)
Also I have raced a stock 2018 GT 10-speed auto PP just to compare and needless to say, they're not as fast as you think it would be. Off the jump I just went, and kept going. Also take into account that im running stock tires, 235's all around so I was all over the place and still pulling on him.
Funny I saw this... I took on a *stock 2016 6 speed with mine ... and got him by almost 3 cars by 80mph... :). Then again lost to a Honda Accord 2.0T Sport :/
My best 0 - 60 so far (track apps) registers @ 4.5 ... going to e-brake and launch @ 2500 - 2800rpms next time to see if I can get to 4.2 or 4.3 ... since track apps don't do a 3mph rollout like C&D testing, if I can get 4.2.. that would be C&D 3.9ish (but they claim 3.85 with PP1 GT Auto 2018).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
You lost to a Honda Accord??!
Yes sir! A White Accord 2.0T Sport... they can do 0 - 60 in 5.4 secs (according to C&D anyway) :)

Here you go... V6 Accord beating a 2015 GT in the 1/4 with just some minor upgrades...

Oh well... that's not the half of it... got a speeding ticket that'll probably cost me $500 ... there goes my strut bar and cowl upgrade ... my fault :/

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That sucks about the ticket. That Accord must have been modified. Accords, GTI's, WRX's etc. don't even make eye contact with me in my area. But the idiots in minivans, work trucks and Toyota Camrys want to go at it.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
That sucks about the ticket. That Accord must have been modified. Accords, GTI's, WRX's etc. don't even make eye contact with me in my area. But the idiots in minivans, work trucks and Toyota Camrys want to go at it.
Yeah I hear you on that... Trucks like the F350 power strokers, Toyota 381hp Tundras... then your Hyundai Suvs, Camerys, Dodge Minivans ... same here... at least Kia owners know better :D
I just had a white Civic SI 1.5t with a tune and some exhaust mods side with me... but he didn't want to go at it... just pointed at me and five-0 :) Gotta watch it though with these Civic 1.5ts... they have some Stage 2 mods and run E85 and are run-in mid 12's in the quarter.

Here you go... 1.5T E85 with intake ... tuned vs. Scatpack, Camaro SS... just for curiosity...

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The person who bought my Porsche got in contact with me and we met to talk about the mods I had done to it and to show me his updates. At the end, we had a little "drag race" on a freeway entrance ramp. When I bought my GT I thought it was pretty close to what the Porsche could do, so this was a good chance to find out. Unfortunately, it wasn't that close. I have about 50 hp on him, but he had about 500 lbs on me. It would have closer with 3:55 gears. But, with 3:15 gears I feel behind fast and never closed.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
What did you run that pass?

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The person who bought my Porsche got in contact with me and we met to talk about the mods I had done to it and to show me his updates. At the end, we had a little "drag race" on a freeway entrance ramp. When I bought my GT I thought it was pretty close to what the Porsche could do, so this was a good chance to find out. Unfortunately, it wasn't that close. I have about 50 hp on him, but he had about 500 lbs on me. It would have closer with 3:55 gears. But, with 3:15 gears I feel behind fast and never closed.
I hate the way Porches look but man they know how to make a car faster than shit. That 911 turbo S is nasty

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I hate the way Porches look but man they know how to make a car faster than shit. That 911 turbo S is nasty
My Porsche was just a 2009 Carrera S cabriolet with intake mods, headers, mufflers, 200 cel cats and a tune, stock 385 hp, maybe 410 after mods. But, the response is so quick compared to the Mustang. Oddly enough, they both have the same kind of power delivery.

You have to be a Porsche fan to tell models apart. I can tell them apart from 1999 to present, mostly be headlights, taillights and rear grille opening. The Porsche in that video is a 992.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Walked a brand new M5 a few months back, and a 13/14ish GT500 three, or so, weeks ago. Not much of a race in either case... Still waiting for a Cat or Z06 to get a decent run in
Wow.. M5 is a good win! I just raced one of them Subaru BRZs ... beautiful blue with an obvious totally Catless exhaust... He got me by about 2 car lengths... These 4 cylinder turbos are really packing a punch these days!

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I just raced one of them Subaru BRZs ... beautiful blue with an obvious totally Catless exhaust... He got me by about 2 car lengths... These 4 cylinder turbos are really packing a punch these days!
A Brz? Those are slow as shit unless highly modified.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
[
I’m going to grab a set soon of the 555RIi in the 275/35/20 for my Roush rims and see how they do. If they offered a 10 or 11 inch wheel just like the 9.5 inch Roush rim that would be a nice option for sure.
this is a versus thread. Didn’t you just race a Hellcat?
Sponsored