Sponsored

What Engine Oil Do You Prefer?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Had a free oil change done last Christmas so I am 2 months late. Oil has been used flr 4,800 miles. I plan to do it myself but I am still relatively new to the Ford family so aside from Ford Motorcraft, I am unsure what would meet or exceed the Coyote's need.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Mobil 1 has been my go-to for oil for several decades, never an issue.

Get ready for the vast multitude of responses.....

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Mobil 1 has been my go-to for oil for several decades, never an issue.

Get ready for the vast multitude of responses.....
Apparently I have a free oil change coupon for any vehicle. Firestone uses Pennzoil which apparently is supposed to be very good.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You can ask this question to 100 people and get 200 answers, so it's really just a case of how much you want to spend. The OEM Motorcraft synth blend is perfectly fine, especially if you're doing 5000 mile changes. I like Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. Mobil 1 is good, so is Amsoil (if you don't mind spending that much on 10qts). Castrol Edge is good. Pretty much anything name brand and full synthetic or at least a blend will do the job here. Viscosity and the correct amount with proper change interval matters more than brand.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
You can ask this question to 100 people and get 200 answers, so it's really just a case of how much you want to spend. The OEM Motorcraft synth blend is perfectly fine, especially if you're doing 5000 mile changes. I like Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. Mobil 1 is good, so is Amsoil (if you don't mind spending that much on 10qts). Castrol Edge is good. Pretty much anything name brand and full synthetic or at least a blend will do the job here. Viscosity and the correct amount with proper change interval matters more than brand.
^^ What this person said.

I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 for 36,000 miles and never had an issue. I use the Motorcraft FL500s oil filter and change oil every ~6000 miles.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just use a full synthetic oil, if you want the best protection. And a group-III (which are not 100% synthetic) like M1, PP, Syntec, etc., which are pretty cheap at Walmart, is all you really need if not pushing the limits on OCI. I personally change it every 5K miles, so a group IV or V oil would be a total waste of money IMO. I'll do my first oil change at 1K miles very shortly, and will use M1 0/30 and FL500S filter. We'll see how the car likes it :).

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30
Also been using Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5w-30 since the car was new basically. Been running it hard on track, 0 issues.

One thing though - have you guys found that they're sold out everywhere? Amazon / Walmart (my usual go-to buy places for Ultra Plat 5w-30) are out of stock, and none of my local stores have it...
Might have to take this opportunity to switch over to something else like Castrol.. ugh :headbang:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Also been using Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5w-30 since the car was new basically. Been running it hard on track, 0 issues.

One thing though - have you guys found that they're sold out everywhere? Amazon / Walmart (my usual go-to buy places for Ultra Plat 5w-30) are out of stock, and none of my local stores have it...
Might have to take this opportunity to switch over to something else like Castrol.. ugh :headbang:
Pennzoil stopped making it because they're supposedly replacing it with a new formula that's currently being tested for the OEM certs. At least that's what I remember reading somewhere.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm curious why no one listed their oil as 5w20 which is the weight that Ford calls for, at least the GT.?

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Edge 5-20, wix xp filter. My truck has 334000 miles. I've run castrol for 40 years I'm a retired ase auto tech, I've never experienced an oil related failure on any engine. And take it easy is not in my driving vocabulary. YMMV

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Did you ever do that oil change? Hopefully no ticking.

Just use a full synthetic oil, if you want the best protection. And a group-III (which are not 100% synthetic) like M1, PP, Syntec, etc., which are pretty cheap at Walmart, is all you really need if not pushing the limits on OCI. I personally change it every 5K miles, so a group IV or V oil would be a total waste of money IMO. I'll do my first oil change at 1K miles very shortly, and will use M1 0/30 and FL500S filter. We'll see how the car likes it :).

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. Purity of natural gas and their additive pack is a good combination. But more importantly is changing your oil vs. this vs. that. Almost all oil is excellent these days.
Sponsored