akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Greetings from Spain.

I´ve had to make paint the right front quarter panel of my mustang to a bodyshop. When I picked it up after the work, it seemed to be flawlesly.

But when I look with more detail with the fluorescent light of the garage, I can see that the paint does not match with the door. It´s like a bit more yellowish.

Told him this issue and he said to me to let the panel exposed in the sun light (in my case is not so easy, it´s a weekend warrior) and let it "cure" about a month. When I´m writing this and attach the pictures it has passed 2 weeks.

I have to say that the car was polished and treated with ceramic coating, with Gyeon. So this panel is not treated yet. I have to do it, but I don´t want to make it so early to get the paint cure.

So my questions are:

Do you think as time passes the paint will match better? Or that´s bullsh*t?
Do you think after 30 days if I apply Gyeon ceramic treatment the result will improve and match better without redo the painting?
Or do you think I have to visit the bodyshop again to redo the work? I´m not sure this is the best it can be done considering the colour, and my fear is if it will get worse in another attemp.

This is the worst look with electric light:

xc3ySTW.jpg

This is the look with flash light:

7cw4mBM.jpg

And this is with indirect sunlight best of all, cannot be detected.

jKDjQyf.jpg
Sponsored

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
i would wait 30 days before i would ceramic coat that fender. the color will not change over time. the reason for the "discoloration" is because the body shop did not "blend" the door. The color they sprayed the fender with should have been blown partially onto the front door and then cleared over. that would be the proper way to have painted it.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
i would wait 30 days before i would ceramic coat that fender. the color will not change over time. the reason for the "discoloration" is because the body shop did not "blend" the door. The color they sprayed the fender with should have been blown partially onto the front door and then cleared over. that would be the proper way to have painted it.
Thank you for your answer. I´m going to the bodyshop to see a better solution.
Do you think it´s possible to match the colour without blending? Or is it an impossible task?

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thank you for your answer. I´m going to the bodyshop to see a better solution.
Do you think it´s possible to match the colour without blending? Or is it an impossible task?
sadly, i do not believe anyone can "panel paint" a door, fender, etc. the only time it can be done is with a non-metallic black. if the shop says they can...........i'd be leery of them.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I can definitely tell... I’d tell them to order you a new fender or repaint that one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ok, I have an appointment in september to try to improve it.
About blending, it's a pity the car has a cerámic coating, if they have to blend they have to remove the cerámic of the Door before. 30 days later, redoing all the process of cerámic on fender and door.
I cannot believe it's imposible to match the colour without blending.

Last edited:

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Color matching will never be correct because more variables go into it than a machine or person can compensate for. Humidity, air density, ambient temperature, for example are just some uncontrollable variables that affect color matching. I know a guy that was restoring his old Impala and he sprayed the engine bay, door sills, cowl, trunk in November in candy red. With the same exact paint, he sprayed the body in January and the candy red had just a bit more orange tint to it. Well here it was dry and in the 70s when he did the first paint. When he went back in January it was cold and moist out. Even though he used a climate-controlled paint booth, the humidity and ambient temperature affected the paint just enough that you could make out a difference.
Sorry for you hassle, I hope the paint shop can sort out your fender.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I can definitely tell... I’d tell them to order you a new fender or repaint that one.
Do you really think It should be neccesary a new fender?
Color matching will never be correct because more variables go into it than a machine or person can compensate for. Humidity, air density, ambient temperature, for example are just some uncontrollable variables that affect color matching. I know a guy that was restoring his old Impala and he sprayed the engine bay, door sills, cowl, trunk in November in candy red. With the same exact paint, he sprayed the body in January and the candy red had just a bit more orange tint to it. Well here it was dry and in the 70s when he did the first paint. When he went back in January it was cold and moist out. Even though he used a climate-controlled paint booth, the humidity and ambient temperature affected the paint just enough that you could make out a difference.
Sorry for you hassle, I hope the paint shop can sort out your fender.
Understood. So many factors and the accuracy of human eye does not help to match the colour. I cannot believe that I made the decision of making paint It for a not so big paint chip. Now Im in the Paint shop's hands to improve as much as possible. Maybe using real painted plates to compare.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Do you really think It should be neccesary a new fender?

Understood. So many factors and the accuracy of human eye does not help to match the colour. I cannot believe that I made the decision of making paint It for a not so big paint chip. Now Im in the Paint shop's hands to improve as much as possible. Maybe using real painted plates to compare.
Nah man don't even feel bad. I spend way too much time touching up chips on my car. A ridiculously obsessive amount of time. I want to respray it so bad, but I don't just because money is tight. We all just want the car to look its best. Hopefully they can blend the door without touching the fender and you'll be good to go.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Nah man don't even feel bad. I spend way too much time touching up chips on my car. A ridiculously obsessive amount of time. I want to respray it so bad, but I don't just because money is tight. We all just want the car to look its best. Hopefully they can blend the door without touching the fender and you'll be good to go.
So in case of blending, considering I have the door cerámic coated, the process is : sand paper the whole door, paint with the same colour near the fender, and lesser on the other side. Apply varnish all the door and ceramic coating again 30 days later, right?

Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So in case of blending, considering I have the door cerámic coated, the process is : sand paper the whole door, paint with the same colour near the fender, and lesser on the other side. Apply varnish all the door and ceramic coating again 30 days later, right?
More or less yes. You'll definitely want to reapply the ceramic coating on the fender and door. Hood also, if they blend into the hood. Keep the thread updated, I am curious how it turns out. Again don't feel too bad, my car was in a hail storm two weeks after I bought it. Things happen to all of us. You'll get it fixed right up.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
More or less yes. You'll definitely want to reapply the ceramic coating on the fender and door. Hood also, if they blend into the hood. Keep the thread updated, I am curious how it turns out. Again don't feel too bad, my car was in a hail storm two weeks after I bought it. Things happen to all of us. You'll get it fixed right up.
Well, after more than a month, I had an appointment with the body shop to repaint. This time, I left the car more time to make the plate tests they needed. R-M technichian came to the place to make a succesfull result. They analyzed the colour of the door, get the replica on the formula, and they found out that the resin of the bi- component paint was not in optimal conditions, maybe that can was in a not apropiated environment stored.

qVCDUrY.jpg

H0oZAQW.jpg

Well, after the resin replacement, I think this result is much better now. No blending applied to the door. I know it´s impossible to match a white colour from 2 different parts, but I cannot appreciate the difference.

kD9FPNb.jpg

I´ve used the same place and light to compare the difference. I think it´s now better.
Before:

xc3ySTW.jpg

Now:

7jdtjVn.jpg

Even in shadow I cannot apprecite difference.

Cb8q5S1.jpg

gPACW6A.jpg

Last edited:

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well, after more than a month, I had an appointment with the body shop to repaint. This time, I left the car more time to make the plate tests they needed. R-M technichian came to the place to make a succesfull result. They analyzed the colour of the door, get the replica on the formula, and they found out that the resin of the bi- component paint was not in optimal conditions, maybe that can was in a not apropiated environment stored.

qVCDUrY.jpg

H0oZAQW.jpg

Well, after the resin replacement, I think this result is much better now. No blending applied to the door. I know it´s impossible to match a white colour from 2 different parts, but I cannot appreciate the difference.

kD9FPNb.jpg

I´ve used the same place and light to compare the difference. I think it´s now better.
Before:

xc3ySTW.jpg

Now:

7jdtjVn.jpg

Even in shadow I cannot apprecite difference.

Cb8q5S1.jpg

gPACW6A.jpg
Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures - the forum may still be having issues after the update. However I am happy to hear you got it all sorted out and it's up to your standards! I have some paint correction to do myself this weekend after the neighbor's cat knocked something in my garage over and it hit my car door..

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures - the forum may still be having issues after the update. However I am happy to hear you got it all sorted out and it's up to your standards! I have some paint correction to do myself this weekend after the neighbor's cat knocked something in my garage over and it hit my car door..
Thank you. Try it again now.
Hope your paint correction goes succesfully. It´s not easy to match a colour.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thank you. Try it again now.
Hope your paint correction goes succesfully. It´s not easy to match a colour.
I can see the pictures now. I can't tell a difference! The fender looks really good!
Sponsored