Sponsored

Whipple (gen5) net weight

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Has anyone done the before/after (either on components or on the car) to gain a sense of how much weight a whipple kit (gen 5 preferably but any generation will be fairly close)?

Preferably it would be net (wet or dry) between adding the blower/kit and removing the stock intake/TB/cold air.

Are we talking 10 lbs or 60 lbs?
Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I think your probably more like 90-100 more once all said and done.
Well... my Whipple Complete stage 1 kit is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow in two shipments, one noted as 150 lbs and the other at 60 lbs.. And that is without 2-1/2 gallons of coolant in the inter cooler...
I’ll try to get a more accurate weight after it gets here.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Its over 100lbs easily. My D1x is close to 100lbs..including the mounting brackets pulleys and a stage2 intercooler.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I'd have to say net increase is gotta be 80-100lbs. The blower unit complete with cover is one heavy mother! Add the lines, brackets, pulleys, intercooler and associated hardware, coolant. The stock manifold is plastic and not much in terms of weight. With the anticipated weight of the Whipple kit, I opted for a minimum drop spring kit. It worked out well for me.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'd have to say net increase is gotta be 80-100lbs. The blower unit complete with cover is one heavy mother! Add the lines, brackets, pulleys, intercooler and associated hardware, coolant. The stock manifold is plastic and not much in terms of weight. With the anticipated weight of the Whipple kit, I opted for a minimum drop spring kit. It worked out well for me.
The fair comparison would be:

The weight of the car with the whipple setup - weight of the car without.

If that's not possible or practical, the weight of the whipple specific components - replacement.

Coolant is partial because you always had coolant before, just a little more after the install (say a gallon, 2 at most).

Things like injectors and belts and cold air and filter, again, you always had to have something there before.

I bet if I weighed the blower+ intercooler, heat exchanger, pulleys, whipple specific hoses and added a few lbs for extra coolant would get pretty close to net increase.

In my case I have to add the difference between the OEM motor mounts and the BMW lowering (which are hefty) and the throttle body difference (couple lbs at most). New balancer (vs old), fuel rails (vs old) all add a little bit.

I was just curious if anyone had done the full before and after. I'm sure whipple has, but that's not a number you want getting out (for marketing purposes).

I'm dropping 23 lbs with a K-member swap so that'll cut into it.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Has anyone done the before/after (either on components or on the car) to gain a sense of how much weight a whipple kit (gen 5 preferably but any generation will be fairly close)?

Preferably it would be net (wet or dry) between adding the blower/kit and removing the stock intake/TB/cold air.

Are we talking 10 lbs or 60 lbs?
I didn't weigh my car before the g5s2 whipple install, but now curb weight (=all fluids, including full gas tank, minus me and any cargo) is 3900 lbs. +/- about 10 lbs. Note that I have an option-free base 6M (3705 lbs, according to Ford), cheap heavy American Muscle 19" wheels, the larger HE, and a driveshaft safety loop. Its possible the Ford quoted weight is optimistic.

For sure the car is more nose-heavy now. If you're interested in handling balance you might need suspension work. For me the main thing is hits on onramps from a roll, so my (relatively light) base with sc kit is perfect; highly imperfect for handling and/or drag racing. Probably would save some weight with a centri, though, but the Whipple cal is untouchable.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I believe the Kit is right around 200lbs, The take off parts can't be more than 50lbs so over 100lb net for sure. My handlng took a crap after install so upgraded struts (FPP) and springs (bmr sp083)

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I believe the Kit is right around 200lbs, The take off parts can't be more than 50lbs so over 100lb net for sure. My handlng took a crap after install so upgraded struts (FPP) and springs (bmr sp083)
Wow, that is more than I thought. An extra 150 over the front wheels is not great for balance nor handling. The gen5 Whipple is a heavy beotch.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Actually I did the before and after on my 2019 Bullitt, the stage 1 complete kit from whipple. I weighed the car before and after. Remember on a PP1 car you are removing the strut tower brace and the 2 reinforcement posts in front of the radiator. The net increase on the same scale was increase of 92 pounds. With me (185) in the drivers seat the car weighed 3970. My bullitt had all options except recarro seats.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Remember, too that you are removing the original intake manifold. The shipping materials are heavy. Some parts are replacements such as the injectors, spark plugs, coolant nipple as well as many hoses which are swapped. Also, the Whipple kit comes with it's own airbox. All of this stuff is replacing parts on the car. I never noticed the weight when aggressively driving through curves, etc.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
A supercharger still needs a CAI, so the only thing you're removing is the intake manifold which doesn't weight more than 20lbs. You're adding easily over 100lbs with the supercharger and the intercooler.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
the complete kit includes the complete boxed cai. So this item, like others replaces some oem parts. My garage is full of the stock Bullitt parts and there is considerable weight to them. It's not just the intake. Injectors, hoses, spark plugs, intake, replace stock parts. In the case of the pp cars you are removing the strut braces top and bottom.

It's interesting. I'm waiting for a Procharger and actually, is weight is forward of the intake so I'm curious what that does to handling.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Actually I did the before and after on my 2019 Bullitt, the stage 1 complete kit from whipple. I weighed the car before and after. Remember on a PP1 car you are removing the strut tower brace and the 2 reinforcement posts in front of the radiator. The net increase on the same scale was increase of 92 pounds. With me (185) in the drivers seat the car weighed 3970. My bullitt had all options except recarro seats.
3970 with 185 lbs of you in it? 3785 “curb” (assuming full gas) with a liq-to-air intercooled blower installed? I’ve seen the Bullitt weigh in at 3850 curb. Yours is/was much lighter than I would have thought.
Sponsored