Maybe I shouldn’t have changed my oil

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
This will be fun. I’ll try to keep it short.

2017 GT, 24k miles. Bought the car a couple months ago. Did my first oil change today with royal purple 5w-20, 8qts. Fired it up, nice and smooth and quiet. Tapped the throttle ever so slightly and hear the dreaded ticking noise.

This ticking noise only happens on very slight throttle, once it’s passed a certain point i can’t hear it.

Did some research and find out this is very common and people are getting short blocks from ford because of this issue, but no explanation.

So here’s the question. How do I approach this? Car has cai, catback exhaust, long tube headers, high flow cats, and tuned for e85.

Do I drop the car off as is and hope for the best? Or is ford going to say sorry you’re modded you’re out of luck? Or do i put the factory air box back on, flash to a stock tune with 93 and take it in? From what i understand, they can’t “technically” tell you are tuned, they just have a timer since last tune, which is also the same timer as if the battery was disconnected, and i just so happened to replace my battery as week.

Any thoughts or tips are appreciated!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You just ignore it. The tick isn't indicating an upcoming explosion. A lot of motors just do it. Ceratec helps. Ford stopped replacing motors over this anyway, they will just tell you it's normal now and send you on your way. Give her the onion and if it blows, it blows (it wont).

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Ceratec is your friend if the noise bothers you. Otherwise, the tick appears to be harmless.

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
Good to know, I will try the ceratec. Thank you both.

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
Well, I wasn’t sure if I was pouring ceratec or pepto bismol into the engine, but it worked almost immediately!

I’ve read for some people it works permanently, some only temporarily. We will wait and see. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I had the tick since my first oil change at 500 miles. Now I run half a bottle of Schaeffers Moly EP with each oil change with Mobil 1 5/30 and the tick is 100% gone. I was going to use Ceratek but didn't want my oil to look like frapachino. That being said, the Ceretek is definitely the more widely known fix for the issue.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Now I run half a bottle of Schaeffers Moly EP with each oil change with Mobil 1 5/30 and the tick is 100% gone.
Good to have a second option that works. But can you please specify which bottle you used, to actually know how much you poured into your engine? a quart bottle, meaning you used 16-oz? And how many quarts of oil you have? 8 or 10? Thx. Oh, and what does that thing look like? And when you check your oil now, does it look normal? If my engine develops a tick and can't get rid of it with just oil, I was also having a hard time justifying something that makes the oil look like frappuccino. If you have engine failure and can't replace that crap, you can pretty much kiss a warranty claim good-bye :D.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Good to have a second option that works. But can you please specify which bottle you used, to actually know how much you poured into your engine? a quart bottle, meaning you used 16-oz? And how many quarts of oil you have? 8 or 10? Thx. Oh, and what does that thing look like? And when you check your oil now, does it look normal? If my engine develops a tick and can't get rid of it with just oil, I was also having a hard time justifying something that makes the oil look like frappuccino. If you have engine failure and can't replace that crap, you can pretty much kiss a warranty claim good-bye :D.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Here's what I use. I just looked through my notes and realized I was incorrect and actually put an entire bottle of this in with each oil change. My car is a 2018, so it takes 10 quarts of oil. I typically put in 9 quarts of oil after adding the Moly E.P., then add the 10th quart as needed to reach the desired oil level. Oil looks 100% normal when checking it. You'd never know there was an additive present. I change my oil every 3,500 miles or so which I know is way too often but gives me peace of mind. I've also done oil sample analysis after the last 2 changes to document and all has been perfect thus far. The car now as about 12,000 miles on it which approximately 11,000 have been supercharged.
20181201_151047.jpg

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
I put in 1 300ml bottle of Ceratec in with 10 qts of oil. Comes out right on the full line, and gets the job done. Oil does not look discolored.

Deleted member 35786

It is summer and hot as hell, run 5w-30 full synthetic. Walmart supertec here and no ticks.
Sponsored