Sponsored

Phone Mounts. What is everyone using?

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Mustang has a great cell phone holder built in rear, center console. Out of sight out of mind. Plugging an AC vent seems counter productive some how.
True, but when you're using maps for directions you would like it eye level. Looking down at your phone while driving isn't the safest. Also having it mounted on your windshield isn't all that appealing to the eye.
Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang has a great cell phone holder built in rear, center console. Out of sight out of mind. Plugging an AC vent seems counter productive some how.

Agreed, I dont block my vents...

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
I don’t mind blocking a vent. After all the Ecoboost has 3 of them front and center. Now if I had a performance package and only had two vents, it would be a different story.
If I really need air, I can always drop the top and hit the highway :thumbsup:

Deleted member 37397

True, but when you're using maps for directions you would like it eye level. Looking down at your phone while driving isn't the safest. Also having it mounted on your windshield isn't all that appealing to the eye.
Unless you have the tiny screen and no nav I see no need for a mount. Just plug it in the console and use the maps on the big screen. This car is a nice distraction from caring about a damn phone. Aren’t we all too busy shifting gears and just enjoying the ride?

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Unless you have the tiny screen and no nav I see no need for a mount. Just plug it in the console and use the maps on the big screen. This car is a nice distraction from caring about a damn phone. Aren’t we all too busy shifting gears and just enjoying the ride?
I daily mine, but yes, I do that too :wink:

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I'm confused. If you have CarPlay, why do you need a phone holder. Just plug in the phone and use the screen.

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
I'm confused. If you have CarPlay, why do you need a phone holder. Just plug in the phone and use the screen.
Perhaps real time data logging using OBDLINK MX+ or something similar?

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
there are a few reasons i could think of off the top of my head, that a person would want to see their phone if its plugged in and using AA/CarPlay

1) police counter measures.. JBV1 for android, and V1driver for iphone. i know JBV1 has a standalone mode, so even if you dont have a V1 radar detector some of it will work, but isnt necessarily compatible with AA. its kind of complicated but google is the blame in the end. not sure about V1driver, i dont use the apple ecosystem. FWIW i know V1driver its not free like JBV1 is.
2) as mentioned above real time logging. Torque (and Torque Pro) is an app for android, and pretty sure they have an iphone app as well.
3) the odd/new streaming app that wouldn't necessarily be android auto compatible, but does stream over Bluetooth
4) i dont necessarily condone it, but txt/msg apps. we may not like it, but people will be people, and some will do what they do, regardless of consequences.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Wade, the above post is from the OP. He's obviously using it for maps. That's why I'm confused.

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
Wade, the above post is from the OP. He's obviously using it for maps. That's why I'm confused.
*shrugs* good point.. to each his own i guess..

i mean in that case, i guess you're right.. just use your "mirrored" screen for that particular app that is supported (waze/apple maps/google maps).. same functionality really. maybe its a case of 'old habits die hard'?

EDIT: im only early 40's and i dont know why i remembered this... but i still remember the paper maps! i remember navigating the map when i was grade school, mom was sleeping and dad needed a navigator. what a PITA it was to fold those, of course while your window was down, cause the A/C didnt work.. no RV or anything, just a 77 buick regal, maroon with white vinyl top and a u-haul trailer behind it :sunglasses:

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Lol, some people really dislike seeing others with their phones mounted on the dash. The OP asked about what phone holders we use, and now some are getting questioned why we use them at all.

For the select few who seem bothered why some use them.....here are my reasons. I don’t like using CarPlay for one, it’s kinda annoying. I like having quick access to my Maps, OBDII MX+ Data, Anti-Gravity Battery Manager, GoPro App which controls my mounted GoPro Max so I don’t have to turn around and play with it.....Just to name a few. I am always watching my vehicle data and how she’s acting, I am no where near stock and always paying attention to how she’s driving.

Do I enjoy driving my car and not playing on my phone. Yes of course. I also like having access to it right in front of me so I’m not distracted looking down at a screen. When I do out of town trips, I tend to use my Sync Navigation.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
broke down and got the kuda mount..

just arrived in the mail. looks fantastic, matches interior very very well, just need to modify that tab a bit and get me a magnetic mount.. ive been all over this car looking for places to mount a phone, wired for AA (and charging) but still able to see the screen without taking eyes too far away from the road.

anything near the top of the dash just gets way too hot for the device. charging, using AA, GPS, and sitting in the sun just doesnt work for me.

up high near the roof/sun visor results in too much glare on the screen. best place i can find is down on the center console, by driver/passenger knee bolsters. while a bit more money than i originally wanted to spend. i figure i have spent enough time mulling this over and still without a solution, so i just stopped debating back and forth and bought the damn thing

https://www.amazon.com/Kuda-095995-Leather-Compatible-Mustang/dp/B07CXRHTBN/

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
broke down and got the kuda mount..

just arrived in the mail. looks fantastic, matches interior very very well, just need to modify that tab a bit and get me a magnetic mount.. ive been all over this car looking for places to mount a phone, wired for AA (and charging) but still able to see the screen without taking eyes too far away from the road.

anything near the top of the dash just gets way too hot for the device. charging, using AA, GPS, and sitting in the sun just doesnt work for me.

up high near the roof/sun visor results in too much glare on the screen. best place i can find is down on the center console, by driver/passenger knee bolsters. while a bit more money than i originally wanted to spend. i figure i have spent enough time mulling this over and still without a solution, so i just stopped debating back and forth and bought the damn thing

https://www.amazon.com/Kuda-095995-Leather-Compatible-Mustang/dp/B07CXRHTBN/
Hopefully you did not buy the one from the link you attached. That for the S197, not the S550. The part # for the S550 is 095995. It appears Amazon does not offer the one for our cars.

http://www2.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_holder_for_ford_mustang_since_2015-9-788.html#

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully you did not buy the one from the link you attached. That for the S197, not the S550. The part # for the S550 is 095995. It appears Amazon does not offer the one for our cars.

http://www2.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_holder_for_ford_mustang_since_2015-9-788.html#
looks like i got in the edit before you hit the quote button ;)

yes i did have the wrong one linked initially, ive since edited the post. it is out of stock on amazon, i purchased the last one the other day. they do come back in stock occasionally..
Sponsored