Sponsored

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 - Tick Gone!

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
I couldn't find any PuP oil any were , I went with Driven 5/20
I think Walmart dropped out the pup from their inventory. When went there, all the oil where re-stocked and shelves where full of different brands and viscosities.

The Penzoils were full to with different grades but only the regular and platinum, no ultra. So I just went with mobil1 extended performance
Sponsored

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Team... I am a new mustang owner. 18 w/ 5.0 and Whipple Stage 2. I am around 7600 miles and the second owner. Preventative maintenance is the plan.

What should I run for oil and filter please? (and .... the best place to buy)
I will do probably 5k or less for miles per year but I want to be locked on with long term reliability.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Team... I am a new mustang owner. 18 w/ 5.0 and Whipple Stage 2. I am around 7600 miles and the second owner. Preventative maintenance is the plan.

What should I run for oil and filter please? (and .... the best place to buy)
I will do probably 5k or less for miles per year but I want to be locked on with long term reliability.
I’ve tried mobil1, amsoil, Castrol and Pennzoil. Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 has made my engine run like a sewing machine. Filter I use the ford motorcraft one.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I have the whipple stage 2 and running rotella 5w40 synthetic with the 500 filter and one bottle of ceratec. Heard nothing but good about the rotella. Whipple says 5w50 but I should be good.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Where did you get the ultra platinum. I've only been able to find platinum

Sponsored

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Very interesting. So I spoke to the previous owner who had the Whipple installed, etc.

He says he has always run 5w50 as well WITH Ceratech. 1: what is ceratech and 2: looks like the 50w is also run in the GT350/R models. We know the stock 5.0 is a 20w oil.

ALL help welcomed.

I live here in NH, so eventually I will have some chilly mornings but not many given the eventual plan to park her for the Fall/winter.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the whipple stage 2 and running rotella 5w40 synthetic with the 500 filter and one bottle of ceratec. Heard nothing but good about the rotella. Whipple says 5w50 but I should be good.
Honestly, with a blower, I would run a high quality 5w50 full synthetic, like Ford Performance, PUP or maybe evn something more exotic, like Ravenol.

5w40 Rotella is OK, but is known for having less shear strength

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1
I’ve tried mobil1, amsoil, Castrol and Pennzoil. Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 has made my engine run like a sewing machine. Filter I use the ford motorcraft one.
I had the same experience with Pennzoil Ultra 5-30, just a week ago, very disappointing. I have had the tick since new, tried 5-20 with Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, prevalent tick, then went with Amsoil Signature Series 5-20, ran very well and tick not nearly as prevalent, very quite actually. After 5k, dumped the oil and decided that I was going to go with PUP 5-30, with all the great reviews and specs....... well car ran very smooth, but the ticking got way worst, so much so that my wife was in the garage when I started it and she said "what the heck is that noise ? " ..... I gave it a couple of days and said " nope..... not doing it " put it on stands and drained it out.
PUP 5-30 through Walmart is 50% less than the Amsoil SS, and I change my oil every 5k, a more economical for my OCI.

I still wanted to go with a 5-30 ,,,, I decide to give Amsoil 5-30 XL a try and see how things go ...... well it runs very nice on that oil and the tick has reduced greatly, still slightly there on start up and then seems to go a way.
I had double thoughts about running an oil that was not API approved, decided a against it, though they say the API donut is coming soon for Signature Series.
Just passing my along my echo experience of the above post.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'll try my luck with M1 0/30, which should start lubricating quicker at start-up than both 5/20 and 5/30. We'll see :). My engine has no tick yet, and only 999.7 miles, so it'll have over 1K when I change the oil next week. If with 0/30 it starts to tick, then no oil alone can prevent it. But hope it never does. We'll find out soon enough :D. Don't want to add a freaking additive, but if the tick is prevalent, apparently there's no other way to quiet it down. Hope I'm not put in that predicament. Ha ha.

Sponsored

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll try my luck with M1 0/30, which should start lubricating quicker at start-up than both 5/20 and 5/30. We'll see :). My engine has no tick yet, and only 999.7 miles, so it'll have over 1K when I change the oil next week. If with 0/30 it starts to tick, then no oil alone can prevent it. But hope it never does. We'll find out soon enough :D. Don't want to add a freaking additive, but if the tick is prevalent, apparently there's no other way to quiet it down. Hope I'm not put in that predicament. Ha ha.
That will be interesting to see what happens. Please let us know.
I hope your good fortune continues regardless. :)

I am with you, do not want to add additives, just should have to do that, even though, many have great success with those.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I had the same experience with PUP 5-30, just a week ago, very disappointing. I have had the tick since new, tried 5-20 with Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, prevalent tick, then went with Amsoil Signature Series 5-20, ran very well and tick not nearly as prevalent, very quite actually. After 5k, dumped the oil and decided that I was going to go with PUP 5-30, with all the great reviews and specs....... well car ran very smooth, but the ticking got way worst, so much so that my wife was in the garage when I started it and she said "what the heck is that noise ? " ..... I gave it a couple of days and said " nope..... doing it " put it on stands and drained it out.
PUP 5-30 through Walmart is 50% less than the Amsoil SS, and I change my oil every 5k, thought it was a more economical move.

I still wanted to go with a 5-30 ,,,, I decide to give Amsoil 5-30 XL a try and see how things go ...... well it runs very nice on that oil and the tick has reduced greatly, still slightly there on start up and then seems to go a way.
I had double thoughts about running an oil that was not API approved, the biggest reason I did not go with Amsoil SS again though they say the API donut is coming soon for Signature Series.
Just passing my along my echo experience of the above post.
I wouldnt lose sleep over it and change your oil over and over to make any tick go away. You may be doing more harm than good by changing the oil without letting the detergents get to work.

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldnt lose sleep over it and change your oil over and over to make any tick go away. You may be doing more harm than good by changing the oil without letting the detergents get to work.
:thumbsup: I tend to agree as of this morning, woke up and "said I am tired of thinking about it".
I also agree with the detergents thought, think as the oil cleans and gets a little wear on it, that process actually helps.
After some thought, I believe that's what happened with the Amsoil SS. Should have just given the PUP a 5k try.......got irritated at that moment.

Tick just bugs me. Not to mention the 2k rattle ..... :curse:
Just going to stay with what I have and leave it alone, change the oil at my OCI, and be done with any concern.
Way too much thought and energy into this thing, not too mention some wasted money. :thumbsup:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
:thumbsup: I tend to agree as of this morning, woke up and "said I am tired of thinking about it".
I also agree with the detergents thought, think as the oil cleans and gets a little wear on it, that process actually helps.
After some thought, I believe that's what happened with the Amsoil SS. Should have just given the PUP a 5k try.......got irritated at that moment.

Tick just bugs me. Not to mention the 2k rattle ..... :curse:
Just going to stay with what I have and leave it alone, change the oil at my OCI, and be done with any concern.
Way too much thought and energy into this thing, not too mention some wasted money. :thumbsup:
This forum is an awesome source of information. It's also a forum with topics that will send you on wild goose chases that will make you a bit nutty. Don't waste time or more importantly money trying to cover or explain every noise these cars make, you'll enjoy it much more when you just have fun with the car, if something serious happens, you have a warranty and you'll certainly know when something very bad happens.

My new 350 has the shifter rattle... Sure I could do a quick fix myself and wrap the shifter shaft ... but F it .. it's a ford mustang and whats a mustang without some rattling and noises

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This forum is an awesome source of information. It's also a forum with topics that will send you on wild goose chases that will make you a bit nutty. Don't waste time or more importantly money trying to cover or explain every noise these cars make, you'll enjoy it much more when you just have fun with the car, if something serious happens, you have a warranty and you'll certainly know when something very bad happens.

My new 350 has the shifter rattle... Sure I could do a quick fix myself and wrap the shifter shaft ... but F it .. it's a ford mustang and whats a mustang without some rattling and noises
Bummer on the rattle ... and yeh, too much reading....lol..... I am a very technical guy, and sometimes chasing is just not necessary as you say. :thumbsup:
As you said have fun with it, and its covered ! :thumbsup: I gotta do better with that :crackup:
Sponsored