Sponsored

Have any of you changed the MT-82 and Torsen fluids really early???

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At 25K miles, I had some dealer service where they ended up draining the trans and replacing the fluid with OEM, so I got a good reminder of why the BG fluid was in there. I lasted a month before swapping it out for the motorcraft DCT fluid. This stuff is my favorite. No nibble, but also no harshness while going past the synchros. I haven't driven this stuff colder than about 80 degrees, and only for about 1k miles so far, but I like it.
Hey man, you lost me there (in bold). Did you praise the Motorcraft fluid, or BG? And if BG, did you feel any extra resistance after the change, like you reported initially? That sounded to me like it was notchier, but no nibble. Not sure which I'd choose, since I want to get rid of both. Ha ha.

At any rate, I called Redline, and surprisingly, they don't recommend their DCT-F for the MT-82 because it doesn't comply with Ford specs, contrary to what some folks said on this forum... which was the reason I was going to use it. I called them because it was absent from their website under the 2019 Bullitt. So now not sure what to do: If BG SSII, or OEM. I'm at 900+ miles, so it's almost time to change fluids. Need to order them this week. What is the BG? It's like a GL-4, no? So definitely thicker than DCT, and probably why the extra 'resistance'. Surprised you didn't have issues at -40F, which my car will never see, at least under my ownership.

Finally, also not sure what to do with the differential. Many say the 75/140 is a little extreme, so maybe the 75/90 would be a good compromise.
Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Hey man, you lost me there (in bold). Did you praise the Motorcraft fluid, or BG? And if BG, did you feel any extra resistance after the change, like you reported initially? That sounded to me like it was notchier, but no nibble. Not sure which I'd choose, since I want to get rid of both. Ha ha.

At any rate, I called Redline, and surprisingly, they don't recommend their DCT-F for the MT-82 because it doesn't comply with Ford specs, contrary to what some folks said on this forum... which was the reason I was going to use it. I called them because it was absent from their website under the 2019 Bullitt. So now not sure what to do: If BG SSII, or OEM. I'm at 900+ miles, so it's almost time to change fluids. Need to order them this week. What is the BG? It's like a GL-4, no? So definitely thicker than DCT, and probably why the extra 'resistance'. Surprised you didn't have issues at -40F, which my car will never see, at least under my ownership.

Finally, also not sure what to do with the differential. Many say the 75/140 is a little extreme, so maybe the 75/90 would be a good compromise.
I prefer the Motorcraft DCT over the BG fluid. BG is indeed very noticeably thicker, which accounts for the resistance.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks brother, so BG is officially removed from consideration for the tranny. So what did you have before the BG then? You said BG was in improvement, so a little bit lost there too. Ha ha. I think the slight notchiness and nibble should disappear once the tranny fully breaks in, meaning the synchros. I've read it's normal to act like that until they fully wear in; hope that's the case with my car. Now I'm not sure if I should replace the tranny and diff fluids now, or wait until the second oil change, around 6K miles. Any comments on that? :D Thx.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Thanks brother, so BG is officially removed from consideration for the tranny. So what did you have before the BG then? You said BG was in improvement, so a little bit lost there too. Ha ha. I think the slight notchiness and nibble should disappear once the tranny fully breaks in, meaning the synchros. I've read it's normal to act like that until they fully wear in; hope that's the case with my car. Now I'm not sure if I should replace the tranny and diff fluids now, or wait until the second oil change, around 6K miles. Any comments on that? :D Thx.
Before the BG was the original factory fill. I swapped it out with ~2k miles on the car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
o BG is officially removed from consideration for the tranny. So what did you have before the BG then? You said BG was in improvement, so a little bit lost there too.
this stuff is cheap enough try one, if you don't like it, try something else. It doesn't get cold in TX unlike in IL so the 'thicker' observation has to be made in context of whatever ambient was at the time.

Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
this stuff is cheap enough try one, if you don't like it, try something else. It doesn't get cold in TX unlike in IL so the 'thicker' observation has to be made in context of whatever ambient was at the time.
The bg fluid is a higher viscosity at the same temperature. The BG fluid is an improvement over the stock fluid, but the DCT fluid is an even bigger improvement.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package

Redline also makes a 75W/110 gear oil....which is what is going in my differential in about a month. I think it's a better compromise between the 75W/85 and the 75W/140 than the 75W90. Just my opinion.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The BG fluid is an improvement over the stock fluid, but the DCT fluid is an even bigger improvement.
That is what I don't get. The MT-82 has had DCT factory fill since 2011, I believe. So probably the exact same thing you put after the BG, so how come the BG was better than the DCT at first, and then the same DCT fluid was better than the BG? Your car is a 2018, so it has the same MT-82 D4 as my 2019, meaning the same DCT fluid (it hasn't changed). I didn't check the DCT fluid p/n in prior years, but it's the same in 2018 and 2019).

Redline also makes a 75W/110 gear oil....which is what is going in my differential in about a month. I think it's a better compromise between the 75W/85 and the 75W/140 than the 75W90. Just my opinion.
That's a very compelling argument :). Where do you live? Here in El Paso, TX is typically from 40s to 100s. It does freeze several times a year, but it's not the norm. Thx.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
BG was very noticeable improvement in 15-17 MT82. Absolutely no doubt about it - I did have '15, change factory fill to Redline and then to BG. In MT82-D4 it makes absolutely no difference (at least didn't in mind), maybe has tiny bit more resistance but hardly noticeable, now the transmission is quite a bit better. At the end, it's just trans fluid. This thread is entirely too long over quite irrelevant thing.

I still think there is no reason to swap the fluid - I changed mine after 16k miles and car has been driven quite hard, Factory fluid looked perfect, it was basically waste of money.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
That is what I don't get. The MT-82 has had DCT factory fill since 2011.
There has been a TSB telling dealers to replace the fluid with DCT for people who complain about the shift grinding, just like the TSB for the super 8.8 rear diff recommending 75/140 fluid for all models.
The trans is still getting filled with regular GL4 fluid in the trans and 80/90 in the diff from the factory, even with those TSBs in place. I actually questioned my dealer when I picked the car up from trans work and they showed me the service instructions.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The trans is still getting filled with regular GL4 fluid in the trans and 80/90 in the diff from the factory
My owner's manual only lists the DCT fluid for the tranny; nothing else. I REALLY doubt it has anything else in there; makes no sense. But I'd believe what you said if I could see that 'service instruction' document you mentioned.

At any rate, I decided to wait on the tranny and differential fluids until next oil change. I keep getting new information, and also want to give them a chance to fully break in. I might decide to put factory fluids back in if I don't see a reason to change. And I don't care if fluid is like new; I just want to remove contaminants from assembly and break-in. The differential should look nasty, due to some kind of coating that takes time to fully come off the gears. Thank you for all the additional comments :).

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
I just carried out the first oil change on the gearbox and diff (2017 GT Manual Performance Pack) and measured the quantities that came out.

Gearbox 2.6L came out which is correct.
Diff 2.1L came out, I only put in 1.6L as that's what Amsoil suggested.

Has anyone else had this issue?

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It'd be extremely unusual that the factory put that much more fluid. Are you sure there was no water mixed with the fluid???

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
It'd be extremely unusual that the factory put that much more fluid. Are you sure there was no water mixed with the fluid???
I’ll double check tomorrow but I’m pretty sure it’s all oil. It’s in for its yearly service so I’ll ask the dealer. Worried it may have damaged seals etc.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good luck. I haven't checked where the vent line is on my car (Torsen), and how high it goes. It'd be unusual that it has that much condensation, but only checking. I'd like to add some kind of filter on top of the vent line, since it's super dusty here (including the streets), and crap could get in the fluid too.
Sponsored