Sponsored

Flat jack stand on reinforced pinch weld

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I need to jack the car up on all 4 tires, so I've bought Jack stands but they don't have a notch for the pinch weld. Is it fine to place them on the reinforced pinch weld section anyway? They do have rubber protection boots though.

Could I perhaps place them like this too or is the reinforced section only on the pinch weld?

ltEQq3aA8GX-AkCvHwo5Xb9faQOJXKz3PbskBhnBcg9cX0gKc1bMwKY9pYhxmErsqm63O3zI0AWOToNom3A=w535-h950-no.jpg
Sponsored

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
You're doing it wrong

Don

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue A10
Rotate the stand 90 degrees.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I got some aluminum jack pads like above from Amazon. I don't know the exchange rate, nor what products cost in Belgium, but I found this on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Wagenheber-DEDC-Universal-Magnetisch-HebebĂĽhnen/dp/B0774H9DTB/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=jack+pad&qid=1594913067&sr=8-6
I have this but it scratches the hell out of the paint on the pinch weld. I switched to just using a normal competition style hockey puck. It can flex and grab the pinch weld without scratching it up. As far as jack stands on the pinch weld you can, I've done it. If you can lift the car from there you can also support it from there as well.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I actually got a Quick Jack that I use with wood blocks I made, so I don't use the adapter any more. The one I have has a nylon coating on the bottom so it doesn't scratch unless it rotates when you lift it. I can tell you the magnets work - I drove to work one day and realized I had left it on there...checked it, yep, still there.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey, question for you. My car has the arrow where to lift the front of the car much farther back than that drawing; I was surprised to see it that far back from the front wheels. But there's a slight notch on the rocker panel where those circles are, but there's not much space to get a jack, or even an adapter. I scrutinized the pinch welds, and they seem as sturdy there, than where the arrow is further back. So I assume you could use any of those 'notches' (there are like 3 in the front) to lift the car, if you find the right adapter, no? Just curious.

Finally, looking at the Mustang OEM jack, it'd actually put all the car weight on the outside of the pinch weld, and not on the pinch weld itself. Is it desirable to do that? There are other scissor jacks that would put the car's weight on the pinch weld, and not around it. The mustang has the outside side quite a bit higher than the inside, for some reason, so the jack would only put the weight on the outside part. Curious if you have a comment on that. Thanks man.

You're doing it wrong.
jack_points.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have jacking rails too, but even the 'full length light-weight' Steedas don't get far enough to the rear. They go over the front 'arrow', which is pretty far back, but don't get all the way to where the chart shows it. In addition, the jacking rails are super smooth, which I don't like, since there's absolutely nothing preventing the jack or stand from moving. This is bad with a jack, since the jack moves quite a bit while lifting the vehicle, meaning it might slide off the rails. It's going to be interesting to try them :).

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have jacking rails too, but even the 'full length light-weight' Steedas don't get far enough to the rear. They go over the front 'arrow', which is pretty far back, but don't get all the way to where the chart shows it. In addition, the jacking rails are super smooth, which I don't like, since there's absolutely nothing preventing the jack or stand from moving. This is bad with a jack, since the jack moves quite a bit while lifting the vehicle, meaning it might slide off the rails. It's going to be interesting to try them :).
Realistically you can use a jack stand pretty much anywhere on the pinch weld as long as you aren't trying to support the weight of an entire side of the car. Use a cloth or something to not mess up the paint though. The logic being that the weld fits snugly in the little notch in the jackstand. If you look at how the pinch weld is reinforced at the little arrow pointer sections, it carries a decent distance fore and aft of the arrows. As above, if you can lift the car there, you can support it as well. Using the inboard control arm mounts is another good spot.
Sponsored