Sponsored

Looking to purchase a GT350R. Looking to learn as much as possible.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
Hello all. New to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking to buy a GT350R at some point soon, but I have a lot of questions and concerns before I actually pull the trigger.

I'll say right off the bat that I'm viewing the R as an long term investment and that is part of the reason why I've chosen this car. I believe the R's have a good chance to be a collector car in 20+ years. This doesn't necessary mean I will for sure sell in 20 years if it does. I could decide to keep it forever. But it would be nice to have that option. What are the other reasons? Well, obviously the car is special. I was hooked the moment I laid eyes on one in person. I've always been a naturally aspirated engine kind of guy, as well as a manual gearbox guy. I also love track focused cars. I do plan on tracking it at some point, but it will not be often.

Engine: Let's get this one out of the as it is the biggest concern for me. I've done a lot of research and know about the engine failures. At first I wasn't that concerned, a small percentage of ALL performance cars are going to fail, but it seems that this particular car has a lot more blown engines cases then most. It seems it's a combination of the unique high revving engine that requires an high level of care and knowledge to operate, as well as some bad parts such as the valves. This has been the best source of information (numbers wise) for engine failures https://overrunautomotive.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/#comment-15. But it was published in October 2019, and there wasn't much information out at the time for the 2019 and 2020 models.

My question is, how are the Gen2 engines in the 2019 and 2020 holding up in comparison to the 2016-2018 models? Should I be focusing only on the 2019 or 2020 cars?

As I said earlier, I do plan on this being an investment long term, and I do not plan on putting a ton of miles of the car. Drive once or twice a week on a nice day. Take to car shows. No long distance trips. Track on occasion. If the engine blows, I do worry about it effecting the value of the car long term as it won't be numbers matching.

I'm aware of the oil consumption, and I would definitely check that shit every time I drive it. I'm also aware of the of letting the car warm up (190 degrees) before opening it up.

Idling: I've read a few places that letting the car idling to warm up is not great, and it's best to drive the car a low rpms to warm up. Is this true? I've heard some engines have actually failed during idle.

Cruising speeds: Let's say I did take it on the highway for a longer trip, what would you guys recommend for gear and rpm cruising speeds?

Other tips: Any other tips I should know about what to do or not to do when driving the GT350R, whether it be a cruise or high RPM's?

Warranty: I already plan on purchasing a extended warranty for the car. How long does an extended usually last for and how much are they? Is there ever a point when Ford would no longer allow a warranty to be extended on the car?

Oil change and equipment: I live in a small town in Kentucky. There is one Ford dealer in town, but I would be very worried about taking my car there for routine maintenance. I've never really done oil changes at home before. Guess I could start, but I would need to get the jacks and all the equipment to do that. Any recommendations? My garage is not very tall, so getting a full lift is not an option. Also, could Ford try to deny coverage for a blown engine if I do my own oil changes? Is the Motorcraft 5W-50 the best oil to use for road use? Will using a different oil void the factory warranty?

Driveway: So I know the regular GT350s are prone to scrape. I'm sure the R is even worse. My driveway doesn't have a curb, but the entrance does sit at the top of a small hill, so there is an immediate decline from the street. I'll post a pic tonight. Outside of repaving to level it out some, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this one outside of using an angle to turn in?

Rocks: Is it better to use splash guards or to just go with PPF to protect the side of the car from rocks? Or should I not worry to much about it?

This really seems like a great community. Thanks in advance for your help. I really want to be as knowledgeable as possible before buying an R. If I missed anything that an a R owner should know, please let me know.
Sponsored

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
Hello all. New to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking to buy a GT350R at some point soon, but I have a lot of questions and concerns before I actually pull the trigger.

I'll say right off the bat that I'm viewing the R as an long term investment and that is part of the reason why I've chosen this car. I believe the R's have a good chance to be a collector car in 20+ years. This doesn't necessary mean I will for sure sell in 20 years if it does. I could decide to keep it forever. But it would be nice to have that option. What are the other reasons? Well, obviously the car is special. I was hooked the moment I laid eyes on one in person. I've always been a naturally aspirated engine kind of guy, as well as a manual gearbox guy. I also love track focused cars. I do plan on tracking it at some point, but it will not be often.

Engine: Let's get this one out of the as it is the biggest concern for me. I've done a lot of research and know about the engine failures. At first I wasn't that concerned, a small percentage of ALL performance cars are going to fail, but it seems that this particular car has a lot more blown engines cases then most. It seems it's a combination of the unique high revving engine that requires an high level of care and knowledge to operate, as well as some bad parts such as the valves. This has been the best source of information (numbers wise) for engine failures https://overrunautomotive.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/#comment-15. But it was published in October 2019, and there wasn't much information out at the time for the 2019 and 2020 models.

My question is, how are the Gen2 engines in the 2019 and 2020 holding up in comparison to the 2016-2018 models? Should I be focusing only on the 2019 or 2020 cars?

As I said earlier, I do plan on this being an investment long term, and I do not plan on putting a ton of miles of the car. Drive once or twice a week on a nice day. Take to car shows. No long distance trips. Track on occasion. If the engine blows, I do worry about it effecting the value of the car long term as it won't be numbers matching.

I'm aware of the oil consumption, and I would definitely check that shit every time I drive it. I'm also aware of the of letting the car warm up (190 degrees) before opening it up.

Idling: I've read a few places that letting the car idling to warm up is not great, and it's best to drive the car a low rpms to warm up. Is this true? I've heard some engines have actually failed during idle.

Cruising speeds: Let's say I did take it on the highway for a longer trip, what would you guys recommend for gear and rpm cruising speeds?

Other tips: Any other tips I should know about what to do or not to do when driving the GT350R, whether it be a cruise or high RPM's?

Warranty: I already plan on purchasing a extended warranty for the car. How long does an extended usually last for and how much are they? Is there ever a point when Ford would no longer allow a warranty to be extended on the car?

Oil change and equipment: I live in a small town in Kentucky. There is one Ford dealer in town, but I would be very worried about taking my car there for routine maintenance. I've never really done oil changes at home before. Guess I could start, but I would need to get the jacks and all the equipment to do that. Any recommendations? My garage is not very tall, so getting a full lift is not an option. Also, could Ford try to deny coverage for a blown engine if I do my own oil changes? Is the Motorcraft 5W-50 the best oil to use for road use? Will using a different oil void the factory warranty?

Driveway: So I know the regular GT350s are prone to scrape. I'm sure the R is even worse. My driveway doesn't have a curb, but the entrance does sit at the top of a small hill, so there is an immediate decline from the street. I'll post a pic tonight. Outside of repaving to level it out some, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this one outside of using an angle to turn in?

Rocks: Is it better to use splash guards or to just go with PPF to protect the side of the car from rocks? Or should I not worry to much about it?

This really seems like a great community. Thanks in advance for your help. I really want to be as knowledgeable as possible before buying an R. If I missed anything that an a R owner should know, please let me know.
I have a low milage 2019 GT 350R in show room condition for sale on the Members Market place forum under Mustangs for sale. I need to sell it. Please take a look as you won't find a nicer low milage are than this one.

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase

Engine: Its a concern however less than 5% have been issues. Find a good one and take care of it. Should not be a problem.

Idling: Correct. Slow and steady till 190degress oil temp.

Cruising speeds: 6th

Other tips: read this...https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...al-information-ignore-at-your-own-risk.89612/

Warranty: I bought one. Did 40k miles 5 years.

Oil change and equipment: read this... https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...enance-parts-tools-to-make-life-easier.41706/

Driveway: Sliplo?

Rocks: ZL1 add ons make great gaurds

Deleted member 37397

Saw this one on Facebook. Has the rare rear seats. 800 miles on it. I mean Id imagine this one might be worth some money someday with the rear seat option.
06285F0F-38D9-490E-B815-6F98C558A006.png
D1D755E5-B80B-45CD-A721-D92CBEA751F1.jpeg

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
It is well recognized that 2019 and 2020 have all of the updates before the stop of production at the end of 2020 model year. I have had no issues what so ever with my 2019.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Saw this one on Facebook. Has the rare rear seats. 800 miles on it. I mean Id imagine this one might be worth some money someday with the rear seat option.
06285F0F-38D9-490E-B815-6F98C558A006.png
D1D755E5-B80B-45CD-A721-D92CBEA751F1.jpeg
There was no “rear seat option” and I don’t think it will command any more than another 16 R.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the information man. And nice spec on your 350. Love it.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
If you want an investment put your money in an index fund that tracks the SP500 or the Russel200. Or some other option. In 20 years you will have more return on that versus the increased value in an R. Even if it did go up, would you sell it in 20 years? Or you die and your estate sells it, and it’s hardly been driven.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want an investment put your money in an index fund that tracks the SP500 or the Russel200. Or some other option. In 20 years you will have more return on that versus the increased value in an R. Even if it did go up, would you sell it in 20 years? Or you die and your estate sells it, and it’s hardly been driven.
A SP500 isn't a 526 HP track monster. I can't drive that. As I said, it is only part of the reason why I want the car. The bigger reason is to obviously drive it and enjoy the fuck out of it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The bigger reason is to obviously drive it and enjoy the fuck out of it.
considering special 1/15 edition Lambos lost half their value in a mere 5 years (see Meecum Indiannapolis this past week) you're delusional if you think your 350R will be any kind of "investment" even if you put less than 100 miles on it and mothballed it for 20 years. Let alone driving it as above.

Just drive the car and if Ford's lack of QC bites you in the ass, make sure it happens before the drive train warranty is up.

If you can predict the wants of buyers in 20 years time let alone the legislative/economic/environmental factors, you'd be filthy rich man in no time, and it won't be from one measily Mustang purchase.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
considering special 1/15 edition Lambos lost half their value in a mere 5 years (see Meecum Indiannapolis this past week) you're delusional if you think your 350R will be any kind of "investment" even if you put less than 100 miles on it and mothballed it for 20 years. Let alone driving it as above.

Just drive the car and if Ford's lack of QC bites you in the ass, make sure it happens before the drive train warranty is up.

If you can predict the wants of buyers in 20 years time let alone the legislative/economic/environmental factors, you'd be filthy rich man in no time, and it won't be from one measily Mustang purchase.
So your using a Lamborghini at a auction during a pandemic to use as an argument that a 350R won't be a collector car in 20+ years? Exotics like Lamborghini typically do not do that well at auctions centered around classic muscle cars. I'm pretty sure I heard a couple original GT350s going for over a million at meecum, and yet you reference a Lamborghini lol. Which one were you referring to btw?

None of us have a crystal ball, so there is no gaurentee that the modern 350R will be collectible one day. But it checks all the boxes. It's a special car and they are rare. Certain years and color combinations only saw a handful built. The 2015's are already highly collectible. One going for 500k and another for 150k at auction. But sure, I'm delusional for thinking a 350R could appreciate in value over the next 20+ years. Whatever bro.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
There are at least half a dozen threads about your subject posted here that answer all your questions. Try a search for more details.

Do they scrape on steep driveways, yes, pull in at an angle and slowly.

Do engines occasionally fail, Yes. About 5 per thousand except on the internet where they all explode without warning. Good news is they nearly all fail under warranty and in the first 1000 miles where questionable parts and assembly reveal themselves or the rev it cold crowd kills their engines by revving them to 8500 rpm a lot. Under warranty, you can get an extended warranty on the new engine for your new car and have more security for longer. Almost no one posting their story here has been treated badly by Ford, they get a new 30K dollar engine, extended warranty and a rental car for the duration at the very least. I doubt their cars lose a dollar in value honestly. Much like 69-70 Boss 302's with factory warranty replacement engines.

In my mind, 6th gear is useless below 70 MPH because it runs the engine below 2K RPM and in a crappy power band. I like the way the car performs moving off of 3K RPM, so I keep it in that range. My old SVO was the same way, to get useful boost you needed to be around 3K and it sounds nice there.

Yes, splash guards and PPF for rocks. Yes, 90 seconds of warm up then off you go at slower speeds, no high RPM maneuvers until oil temps are up to normal 190-ish range if you want engine life. There is a handy thread here on good stuff to know, well worth reading.

You get enough "Ford points" for three free oil changes, let the Ford dealer change your oil three times. Every time bring a one gallon Ziplock bag and request your old cartridge oil filter and two O-rings. Examine the filter for bits of metal and whatnot, and this insures they at least pretended to properly replace the filter and O-rings. If you want to do it your self, Race ramps or something will be handy to add to the tool collection.

Collector value, will be something the next owner see, unless you are 30 today. A 2019 R is only a tenth of a second faster 0-60 than a regular 2019 GT350 and maybe a second and a half faster on a road course, because of the 2019 updates. The 2020 R sneaks back a bit of that time with 2020 R model only updates. R's are only 10% of GT350's or something like that, but they are not uber rare like 60's 350R's.

As a whole unless Ford or Chevy start slapping flat plane crank motors in everything, this car is a stand alone in any form. It was the first thing Ford made with Magnaride and all sorts of coolness and it is honestly the best sounding car I've owned.
Sponsored