Sponsored

Ported 2018 Intake Mani vs Ported GT350 Intake Mani?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to do the CJ or 350 I would absolutely upgrade the OPGs, etc.
Why? Ford doesn't. Roush doesn't. If your engine is already open, like doing cams, sure. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the stock OPG's one bit.
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Why? Ford doesn't. Roush doesn't. If your engine is already open, like doing cams, sure. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the stock OPG's one bit.
With how brittle the OPG and CS are from the factory the higher RPM will destroy them. Just a matter of time and lots of info out there on the subject.

But to each their own...

In my case, when on track, I am at the higher end of the RPM range for prolonged time frames. It was cheap insurance and most who do these types of upgrades in my area opt for that.
However for the casual driver or hard parker it is an unnecessary mod.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
With how brittle the OPG and CS are from the factory the higher RPM will destroy them. Just a matter of time and lots of info out there on the subject.
Really? 700+ horsepower roush uses STOCK OPG's. With a FULL factory warranty. You'd think they'd offer that if they thought the stock OPG's are no good? Phuk no.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Really? 700+ horsepower roush uses STOCK OPG's. With a FULL factory warranty. You'd think they'd offer that if they thought the stock OPG's are no good? Phuk no.
A Roush stage 1 is rev limited at 7K. I can take mine to 8K and feel comfortably doing it everytime with my OPG/CS and power mods.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-performance-roush-2300-rev-limiter.137100/

Note that my comments were centered around RPM but now that were talking about power...

Roush power figures are anemic compared to the full potential of the motor and blower to make sure that the customer doesn't blow it up. Roush and Ford engineering departments
have worked together in the past and came up with those parameters to guarantee a certain life expectancy out of the stock components on a sealed motor. Their stage 3 is only 750 HP.

https://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/mustang-2020-stage3.html

Roush is nothing special, just another badged up highly overpriced mustang. Their most impressive piece of engineering is their active wing. Their active exhaust sounds like crap, they
use hilariously small 275 conti's out back and couldn't swap out OPG's without causing warranty issues with their parts supplier (Ford) anyways due to liability.

The OPG thing is well documented. But if it's not your thing, all good, I really don't care.

Back to the OP's question, it's cheap insurance if you really plan to use the motor. A couple hundred dollars compared to a $8K motor is a steal in my book.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The OPG thing is well documented. But if it's not your thing, all good, I really don't care.
Only 750hp lol, yet still on the STOCK OPG's. The only well documented things I see are people putting to much tension on centri blowers cause the OPG's to break only after the crank snout snaps on 850+ horse engines, and those bouncing off the limiter like a vaping honda phuk boy. As for RPM, what's the GT350 spin too again? Ain't nothing special about those OPG either. As for a couple hundred dollars of insurance that's a LOL, cause if you have to send it to a shop to install (which is POINTLESS unless you have cams too) that's gonna run you what? $1500. I have yet to see all these 100's and 100's of OPG failures or even a FORD TSB on it. It's fine YOU don't care. Just giving relevant information instead of facebook/forum warriors advice of 'you gotta change the OPG'. To the OP, you'll be just fine.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ported CJ and not worried at all about OPG/CS. Just don't ride the limiter. With that said, when I install cams over this upcoming winter, I will be swapping in Boundary OPG/CS. Until then, send it!

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
VMP did a "manifold shootout" a few years ago with all of the popular ones: Boss, GT350, Cobra Jet, 18+, etc. Here is the youtube vid:

A couple of thoughts...

1. @BlackandBlue is right, the 18+ edges out the GT350 in peak horsepower.
2. I believe there are hood clearance issues with the Cobra Jet, so that could be a problem.

This video is literal dog shit. I wish people would stop spamming it...

OP. CJ is king, period. Followed by the GT350 mani and then the 18 mani. On gen 2 cars, you can retain imrc functions with the GT350 mani. I had it on my 2015 GTPP. If you don't mind spending the extra coin, I'd go GT350 and I think the black looks better.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You can't really take full advantage of the CJ manifold unless you're doing cams.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
This video is literal dog shit. I wish people would stop spamming it...

OP. CJ is king, period. Followed by the GT350 mani and then the 18 mani. On gen 2 cars, you can retain imrc functions with the GT350 mani. I had it on my 2015 GTPP. If you don't mind spending the extra coin, I'd go GT350 and I think the black looks better.
I don't think I was spamming that video. It is a good video. This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. What's better, for a guy to come on a discussion board and say "CJ is king" and give absolutely no details or proof, or for us to have a discussion where everyone has learned the following:

1. The 18+ IM has the highest peak HP under 7k RPM and is a great deal if you're thinking about the money part of it.
2. As tested (in the video), the GT350 was at a disadvantage because they didn't run it to the upper RPM band. If they had done so, the GT350 would have edged out the 18+ in peak HP. However, the 350 IM is significantly more expensive.
3. The CJ IM is close in terms of performance to the 350 and 18+ but there are hood clearance issues with it. A guy would want to know that before making a decision.

You just said the CJ is king, so provide some actual info as to why it is the best rather than add literally nothing to the thread. A lot of us might not know nearly as much as you do about IM's so if the CJ is king, let us know why. Many of us (including myself) are here to learn about our cars and the best mods/set up. Now @Rothgray has chimed in with the thought that you can't take full advantage of the CJ unless you do cams. Not sure if that is true, but that is good info to have. Hopefully he will explain further. I like this discussion; I have learned a lot.

Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don't think I was spamming that video. It is a good video. This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. What's better, for a guy to come on a discussion board and say "CJ is king" and give absolutely no details or proof, or for us to have a discussion where everyone has learned the following:

1. The 18+ IM has the highest peak HP under 7k RPM and is a great deal if you're thinking about the money part of it.
2. As tested (in the video), the GT350 was at a disadvantage because they didn't run it to the upper RPM band. If they had done so, the GT350 would have edged out the 18+ in peak HP. However, the 350 IM is significantly more expensive.
3. The CJ IM is close in terms of performance to the 350 and 18+ but there are hood clearance issues with it. A guy would want to know that before making a decision.

You just said the CJ is king, so provide some actual info as to why it is the best rather than add literally nothing to the thread. A lot of us might not know nearly as much as you do about IM's so if the CJ is king, let us know why. Many of us (including myself) are here to learn about our cars and the best mods/set up. Now @Rothgray has chimed in with the thought that you can't take full advantage of the CJ unless you do cams. Not sure if that is true, but that is good info to have. Hopefully he will explain further. I like this discussion; I have learned a lot.
Stock cams start to show a power drop off in the low 7000s, sure the CJ manifold will still make more power past that point, but it's meant to shine upward of 8000+. Want to maximize the setup, swap out the cams that bump up the power band. I do not see the CJ being worth it over a ported 18 or a GT350 manifold on stock cams, not for the money.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Stock cams start to show a power drop off in the low 7000s, sure the CJ manifold will still make more power past that point, but it's meant to shine upward of 8000+. Want to maximize the setup, swap out the cams that bump up the power band. I do not see the CJ being worth it over a ported 18 or a GT350 manifold on stock cams, not for the money.
Well put. Thanks for the info.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have the CJ and I can't speak for a manual transmission but it simply works on an A10 in Drag Mode at the track. My current tune (on stock cams) shifts at 8,000. To get the best times, I was already shifting at 7,800 on the stock manifold as well. The fastest N/A cars have a CJ on it. Simply put, for a 1/4 mile application, the stock manifold will lose against a CJ with all other mods being the same. And for icing on the cake, it looks much better than the stock manifold.

IMG_0580 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I actually have the CJ and I can't speak for a manual transmission but it simply works on an A10 in Drag Mode at the track. My current tune (on stock cams) shifts at 8,000. To get the best times, I was already shifting at 7,800 on the stock manifold as well. The fastest N/A cars have a CJ on it. Simply put, for a 1/4 mile application, the stock manifold will lose against a CJ with all other mods being the same. And for icing on the cake, it looks much better than the stock manifold.
IMG_0580 (Medium).jpg
A few questions:

1. Did you have clearance issues with the hood?
2. What were the time differences between the stock IM and the CJ? Do you remember?
3. Do you think there would be a difference in manifold performance based on the transmission (manual vs. auto?); does the fact that your car is a Gen3 factor into this at all? I believe the OP is driving a Gen2 like me.

Good info.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
IMG_0580 (Medium).jpg
No doubt the CJ is the beast of em all. One other aspect of this is you have a 19 with a Gen3 engine. Gen3 flows more and the manifold breathes higher up in the RPM range versus the 15-17 cars. So that's probably why you were still getting the best time shifting up at 7800 when you still had your stock manifold.
Sponsored