Sponsored

Shifting

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So first time driving a stick in 22 years... Like riding a bike!! But.. back in the 90's, never revved match on an old beat up bmw...Anyways, watching some videos on rev matching, which is pretty straight forward.. I noticed that it appears you can also shift gears and fully let off the clutch before giving it gas again when going from say 2nd to 3rd?? Is that right? Maybe Im seeing it wrong? I was always taught to apply gas right when you know it is catching..

So question is, can you shift from 2nd/3rd .or.. 4th to 5th .. etc and fully let off the clutch before hitting that gas pedal?
Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
No need to give it gas on the upshift or downshift for that matter depending on RPM. The rev matching is only needed on the downshift and typically only in a racing situation where the engine revs are high and you are in a higher gear and want to go lower gear to be able to maintain speed and be ready to accelerate out of a corner. The rev matching in that situation will stop the 'engine brake' effect and possible breaking loose of the rear end just before entering the turn.

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
No need to give it gas on the upshift or downshift for that matter depending on RPM. The rev matching is only needed on the downshift and typically only in a racing situation where the engine revs are high and you are in a higher gear and want to go lower gear to be able to maintain speed and be ready to accelerate out of a corner. The rev matching in that situation will stop the 'engine brake' effect and possible breaking loose of the rear end just before entering the turn.
That's interesting! Thank you. I mainly want to down to rev match just to hit a lower gear before turning a corner.. Currently and what I was used to is throwing it in N ... coasting around the corner and than putting it into say 2nd gear. Probably not the ideal way? Plus if I do leave NY area and move to texas where an actual track exists, I will have a good foundation.

Also want to do whatever lessons wear and tear as this is a daily.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I think what you are referring to is an unsynchronized transmission:
How to shift unsynchronized transmission
  1. Press the clutch pedal and move the lever to neautral.
  2. Release the clutch pedal and step on a gas to rev the engine.
  3. Press the clutch again while adding throttle.
  4. Shift carefully into desired gear.
  5. Release the clutch
Synchonized transmissions like the one in the GT350 or most any modern car:
Currently, most manual transmissions are synchronized, which means gear shifts can be completed quickly and with low shift-knob force for most operating conditions. Synchronizers make this possible because they equalize the speeds of rotating gears and shafts inside transmissions before gear shifts are completed.

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Like this...at 3:07 ... useful for passing people or just downshifting in general..

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I think what you are referring to is an unsynchronized transmission:
How to shift unsynchronized transmission
  1. Press the clutch pedal and move the lever to neautral.
  2. Release the clutch pedal and step on a gas to rev the engine.
  3. Press the clutch again while adding throttle.
  4. Shift carefully into desired gear.
  5. Release the clutch
Synchonized transmissions like the one in the GT350 or most any modern car:
Currently, most manual transmissions are synchronized, which means gear shifts can be completed quickly and with low shift-knob force for most operating conditions. Synchronizers make this possible because they equalize the speeds of rotating gears and shafts inside transmissions before gear shifts are completed.
That’s basically old fashioned double clutching.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
That’s basically old fashioned double clutching.
Right, I thought that's what he was describing. I think the video he posted has the pedal view video out of synch. Driver is blipping the throttle but likely on a downshift not an upshift as the main video implies.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Like this...at 3:07 ... useful for passing people or just downshifting in general..

I would have made that dude look silly at 16 years of age.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So question is, can you shift from 2nd/3rd .or.. 4th to 5th .. etc and fully let off the clutch before hitting that gas pedal?
First and foremost, rev matching shifts is about smooth driving and extending the life of the parts that tend to wear, like the clutch. So, if you don't mind the lurch that happens as the clutch comes up, then it's fine. If you just drag the clutch a bit to smooth out the shift, plan on an early clutch replacement because it's not built or warrantied for that.

Ronald Miller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
Of course, Ford isn’t the first to include a shift indicator :clock: in its performance car—pretty much every driver-oriented vehicle with a multi-function gauge panel or heads-up display includes some form of shift light, and systems like the Corvette’s Performance Data Recorder have made racing-style driver displays and configurable head-up gauges almost a necessity in the sports-car realm.
But we dig the way the Mustang Shelby GT350’s setup uses an existing safety feature as a performance-driving aid :flag:
Sponsored