Sponsored

Waiting for new driveshaft since 2 months, still on back order!!

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The dealership agreed that the driveshaft on my 2017 GT350 with 8000mls needed replacement. Vibrations build up progressively when speed increases at speeds over 70-80mls/hr and insane after 100mls/hr.
A new one was ordered and is still on back order after 2 months, at first the plant shutdowns were causing delays. I checked in with the dealer and this was their response last week:

No progress…
“The supplier is still past due and did not ship as promised. Currently there is not a firm ETA. I am not able to request a direct ship from the supplier or pull from production. I wish it was better news. Copis/dealer has been updated.”

They told me 4 weeks ago they had seen that there were 6 driveshafts available from Ford's supplier but they claim they cannot get one allocated to me.
WTEFF??? Nobody is able to tell me anything after 2 months??
I called the Ford Head quarters in Detroit and they told me everything has to go via the dealer.
I'm pulling my hair out. I love the car but in my last 25 years driving European cars I have never seen anything like this. I get it, it is build like shit, screwed together in a barn somewhere, fine. I can deal with that since it is also the most fun car I have ever owned and I have owned M3's, AMG, Audi's, 911 etc but this BS is getting annoying.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Contact Ford Customer Service and explain longggg part replacement delay with NO expected ETA has caused vehicle loss of use for UNACCEPTABLE length of time. Ask to cut you a check for amt. of oem shaft? OR you will pursue lemon buyback /attorney action. Then use money to buy a QA1 CF driveshaft and have dealer do install. The QA1 is definitely a quality upgrade.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have restored several Shelby's and always had the drive shafts balanced. Could that be an option?

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
I understand your frustration very well. I waited for almost 3 months for a transmission shim kit to repair my 2016 Transmission. I had Ford service involved but they didn’t add any value whatsoever to the resolution process.

I tried to get some compensation out off this ridiculous situation without success. I was able to get a 7 yrs powertrain warranty from the date of purchase.

This wasn’t the only issue with my car, it all started with a bad AC compressor repair 8 months ago, followed by a new engine in Feb, rebuild trans in May and another AC compressor replacement / engine thermostat failure just now. My car was at the dealer for more than 120 days !!!!

I hope your problems get resolved soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Contact Ford Customer Service and explain longggg part replacement delay with NO expected ETA has caused vehicle loss of use for UNACCEPTABLE length of time. Ask to cut you a check for amt. of oem shaft? OR you will pursue lemon buyback /attorney action. Then use money to buy a QA1 CF driveshaft and have dealer do install. The QA1 is definitely a quality upgrade.
Do you have a contact number for Ford customer service that would actually communicate with a direct customer? If so please let me know because as mentioned when I called Ford Head quarters I was told that I need to work with the dealership, nothing direct. I am definitely ready to draw the line and step it up, lemon law if thats something that may work, I would consider going that route.

OP
OP

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have restored several Shelby's and always had the drive shafts balanced. Could that be an option?
I have extended warranty and prefer to get it replaced.

OP
OP

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Honestly, after all you have been through, I would just buy an aftermarket one and reap the benefits of it's lightness.
That route would cost me at least $1500-2000 which I rather put into something else to be honest. That's why I bought an extended warranty. The improved lightness is not going to benefit me since I don't take my car to the track.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
That route would cost me at least $1500-2000 which I rather put into something else to be honest. That's why I bought an extended warranty. The improved lightness is not going to benefit me since I don't take my car to the track.
The "lightness" is benefitted from having a lighter rotating mass. A QA1 CF driveshaft for example. 18 -20 lbs driveshaft vs a 39-40 lbs driveshaft. You'll feel that instantly anywhere you drive it. Your rpms will climb faster as well.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Hiland - I can only imagine how frustrating your situation is. But realistically you are looking at about $850 for an alloy DS and less than an hour of a shop's time to install it if you choose so maybe a grand all in.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/d...0-1000hp-1-piece-cv-aluminum-drive-shaft.html

To not have my car for months like that waiting on a part that the manufacturer is behind on, I would gladly spend the money on the upgrade just to get my car back. I don't have an aftermarket DS on my 350 but I do on my Boss 302 and it is an immediately noticeable improvement.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I’ll sell you my stock one....only 1,000 miles on it....i have a dss one piece.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Qa1 carbon fiber FTW...