Sponsored

How to remove (increase) the speed limiter?

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Hi everyone, tried to search the forum for the (subject) simple question, however I couldn't found a direct answer, so here's the question: I live in EU, on certain roads here there's no speed limits, I would like to remove (increase) the 260 Km/h limit on my Bullit (that I can reach in 4th gear), I'm using 105Y wheels so there shouldn't be any issue (assuming the tranny will do good), is there any "simple" (cheap/inexpensive) way to do so?
I'm not interested of any tuning or such, so I'm trying to avoid to buy a dedicate interface or custom tune, is there a way to change the parm in the stock ECU or I still have to buy the whole custom tune?
If i've to buy a custom tune, what's the most cheap solution I could have here in Europe to just override the speed limiter?
Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Gotcha... Thanks for the confirming. I hoped that I could have used a "Chinese" OBD2 interface to download the original firmware, modify it and up it back like my other cars. :)
If that's not the case I will go for a custom mod... now to decide (find) what's the cheapest option available in EU as I'm not interested in any specific tune except the limiter removal (increase).

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just as an FYI, if you mess with the ECU, even to just remove the speed limiter, you'd be violating its electronic seal, and could possibly void your powertrain warranty, so I'd think twice before doing that. Furthermore, you need to find out if our drive shaft is also up to the extra speed. The MT-82, Torsen, and half-shafts, shouldn't be an issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check too, just in case. Good luck.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
I've seen GTs (and Bullitt) going for 173mph reaching the limiter in 4th (that is how they are rolled..) with unlocked speed limiters, the car IMO can perform much higher than this (while maintaining an acceptable level of security), I find odd that to have two resting gears above the 4th.. if it was a matter of speed they could have changed the gear ratio, leaving only the 6th as spare one.
The power train should be OK, I don't want to increase the hp/torque so the MT82 would sustain only a limited increase of rmp's (imagine when shifting to 5th and 6th.. you gonna have less rpm but higher speed if it wasn't for the limiter).
The only concern I have is about the aero indeed, and I have no reference about it: it's very strange that I couldn't find a reference (video) of anyone going at top-speed here in EU with a speed limiter removed, I would have expected so many "crazy" people attempting it... I don't wanna be the first! :D

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I would worry more about aero problems at higher speeds.
That's a very good point too, especially without a rear spoiler. But it's something you feel right away, and just cut it off if car starts feeling unstable. I remember trying to top out my first Corvette, a 2003 C5; it felt like it was falling apart at 150, not to mention like it wanted to flip over, so I just aborted the 'joy' ride :D.

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
I have a vague recollection of a Road & Track article from about 20 years ago where someone tried to get a Gen 4 Camaro up to 200 mph, I can’t remember all the details but I think it was on a salt flat, the aerodynamics of the car weren’t right for that kind of speed and at about 180 mph the car swopped ends and ended up on its roof, I believe the driver survived, does anyone else remember this story?

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Ok guys.. but leaving theories apart, how's possible that none with a *stock* Bullitt (or a GT PP1) and the speed limiter removed didn't tried the top speed (on road) yet? That's the strange part I couldn't figure out...

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Ok guys.. but leaving theories apart, how's possible that none with a *stock* Bullitt (or a GT PP1) and the speed limiter removed didn't tried the top speed (on road) yet? That's the strange part I couldn't figure out...
Someone may have, just not some one that visits this site. It's also not easy to find a stretch of road empty enough to try it on. Even if it was its likely not very flat. I'm sure I could try it on Interstate 95 at like 1AM, but there are potholes and bumps all over it due to crap patching by road crews.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Someone may have, just not some one that visits this site. It's also not easy to find a stretch of road empty enough to try it on. Even if it was its likely not very flat. I'm sure I could try it on Interstate 95 at like 1AM, but there are potholes and bumps all over it due to crap patching by road crews.
Ye, I mean in general (on the web). I've found only two videos of a Bullitt tested on the autobahn, one from a famous youtuber (autopNL), ironically he's hitting the limiter at 260 km/h in 4th gear as expected :) As you can see from that video it isn't that hard (nor illegal) to find a good road to test it out. Maybe one day...

Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
You would need to tune the car to remove the limiter. That could get you to 183mph. The PCM is hard coded at the factory and limited to 183mph which can't be changed. I would think Steeda Europe could help you with an SCT tuner (which also comes with lifetime tunes if you want to add anything else later).

https://steeda.eu.com/collections/mustang-s550-gt/products/steeda-tunes-for-life

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
I've looked at Steeda EU, here I can access only to 95 and 100 octane fuel (that is the equivalent of about 91-93 in the US) so i'm not sure of what I could get from a custom tune with a stock Bullitt, so investing 600€ seems a little over the boundaries in my case (as I don't plan to add any modification to my car) ... but if that's the only way to have the speed limiter reprogrammed, I'll eat it.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I've looked at Steeda EU, here I can access only to 95 and 100 octane fuel (that is the equivalent of about 91-93 in the US) so i'm not sure of what I could get from a custom tune with a stock Bullitt, so investing 600€ seems a little over the boundaries in my case (as I don't plan to add any modification to my car) ... but if that's the only way to have the speed limiter reprogrammed, I'll eat it.
Take a look at this. (Steeda USA) Note the video. James is one of the premier S550 tuners. The tune itself would certainly wake the car up. Removing the limiter would be a plus. I would think this is available through Steeda Europe.

https://www.steeda.com/sct-7015-b-bullitt-tune

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You would need to tune the car to remove the limiter. That could get you to 183mph. The PCM is hard coded at the factory and limited to 183mph which can't be changed. I would think Steeda Europe could help you with an SCT tuner (which also comes with lifetime tunes if you want to add anything else later).

https://steeda.eu.com/collections/mustang-s550-gt/products/steeda-tunes-for-life
Dunno how it is now, but it used to be just changing a box to say 255, as 255 was the largest number it would take, and no one was likely to hit 255mph.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Take a look at this. (Steeda USA) Note the video. James is one of the premier S550 tuners. The tune itself would certainly wake the car up. Removing the limiter would be a plus. I would think this is available through Steeda Europe.

https://www.steeda.com/sct-7015-b-bullitt-tune
That tune as been done on premium fuel (I think 98? That isn't available here), he doesn't recommend it to be used with anything below 93 .. or at least you won't have that kind of benefits, that's why I said it would be a "waste" of money in my case.
Sponsored