cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Just got done installing and figured I’d offer these tips.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...-w-Extended-Ball-Joint-2015-2020_p_14088.html

Take the brake caliper and rotor off. It helps to get the steering knuckle bolt loose with a hammer. If you can’t get the rotor off, hitting the steering knuckle with the hammer should pop it loose.

Use at least a 3lb hammer and hit on the steering knuckle assembly (where the control arm ball joint attaches) a good couple times. Loosen the bolt some first though and it should come loose eventually with a few whacks of your trusty hammer.

After you’ve installed the Steeda arm put a jack under the ball joint with just enough pressure to lift it ever so slightly. Hand tighten the ball joint nut and then take an impact gun and give it short quick pulses until it’s tight. Use your torque wrench to torque to specs. I didn’t do this at first attempt and I ended up popping the boot and metal clip that holds it in place off by continuing to spin the ball joint.

All in all, was a pretty easy install.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Very good write up. You definitely will need an alignment after installing.
Thank you. I plan on getting one tomorrow :)

I took it out for a grocery run and so far the steering response is GREATLY improved☺

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Very good write up. You definitely will need an alignment after installing.
You seem to be the man when it comes to suspension questions around here...so I have one for you. I'm going to be swapping out my lateral link for a Steeda version. They sell the package with the lateral links and bumpsteer kit, which is what I was going to get. Then I started looking at all the different version of lateral links they offer. I don't track my car but need to get rid of the sloppy steering feeling after lowering the car. (Steeda Progressives)

Will I be fine with the link in the kit or should i spring for lateral and tension links with bushings?
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...nsion-Links-w-Bearings-2015-2020_p_14093.html

Being that it's just a street car would I be fine with just the kit I was originally going for?
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...mpsteer-Correction-Kit-2015-2020_p_15413.html

I was going to call Steeda and ask but I figured they would try to up sell me on something i may not need.
-Thanks,

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
You seem to be the man when it comes to suspension questions around here...so I have one for you. I'm going to be swapping out my lateral link for a Steeda version. They sell the package with the lateral links and bumpsteer kit, which is what I was going to get. Then I started looking at all the different version of lateral links they offer. I don't track my car but need to get rid of the sloppy steering feeling after lowering the car. (Steeda Progressives)

Will I be fine with the link in the kit or should i spring for lateral and tension links with bushings?
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...nsion-Links-w-Bearings-2015-2020_p_14093.html

Being that it's just a street car would I be fine with just the kit I was originally going for?
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...mpsteer-Correction-Kit-2015-2020_p_15413.html

I was going to call Steeda and ask but I figured they would try to up sell me on something i may not need.
-Thanks,
Please pm your contact info and i will give you good info so you can make the right decision. Our Steeda sales techs are instructed to give good info over just wanting to sell parts.
We have over six tech and sales professionals to answer your questions.

Steeda Tech

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Please pm your contact info and i will give you good info so you can make the right decision. Our Steeda sales techs are instructed to give good info over just wanting to sell parts.
We have over six tech and sales professionals to answer your questions.

Steeda Tech
I can confirm this is true. They aren’t pushy and often I’ll call to just ask questions which is cool. I called them three times during this install to ask questions. The is the first Steeda part I’ve ordered and I definitely will be ordering more.

Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
-Thanks,
From my own experience they don't up-sell, in fact I called them once to order X, Y & Z and the tech told me you don't need Z for what you are doing; X & Y are just fine.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've had the same experience. I was calling to purchase item X and they told me it would not fix what I wanted and I should get Y. Item Y cost less and took care of the problem I had.

Very happy with their advice and parts.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
My car had -2 full degrees of toe out after I installed these. The steering felt strange to say the least. Got an alignment and just like the Steeda control arms with extended ball joints I had on my 2012 these made a night and day difference in the steering and front end handling of my car. Eliminated all the bump steer too even though I didn't do the bump steer kit.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the same experience. I was calling to purchase item X and they told me it would not fix what I wanted and I should get Y. Item Y cost less and took care of the problem I had.

Very happy with their advice and parts.
I know what you mean:fistbump:

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
My car had -2 full degrees of toe out after I installed these. The steering felt strange to say the least. Got an alignment and just like the Steeda control arms with extended ball joints I had on my 2012 these made a night and day difference in the steering and front end handling of my car. Eliminated all the bump steer too even though I didn't do the bump steer kit.
I agree. Although I’m still not running a good alignment (getting it redone tomorrow) it still greatly increases the steering response and bump steer on a lowered s550. Plus the higher quality bearings help stiffen up the front. This is definitely on a must have list for any lowered s550 IMO.

mali321

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mir
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 301A
Just got done installing and figured I’d offer these tips.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...-w-Extended-Ball-Joint-2015-2020_p_14088.html

Take the brake caliper and rotor off. It helps to get the steering knuckle bolt loose with a hammer. If you can’t get the rotor off, hitting the steering knuckle with the hammer should pop it loose.

Use at least a 3lb hammer and hit on the steering knuckle assembly (where the control arm ball joint attaches) a good couple times. Loosen the bolt some first though and it should come loose eventually with a few whacks of your trusty hammer.

After you’ve installed the Steeda arm put a jack under the ball joint with just enough pressure to lift it ever so slightly. Hand tighten the ball joint nut and then take an impact gun and give it short quick pulses until it’s tight. Use your torque wrench to torque to specs. I didn’t do this at first attempt and I ended up popping the boot and metal clip that holds it in place off by continuing to spin the ball joint.

All in all, was a pretty easy install.
Hi @cyclonetron
If you don't mind can you share how you had to get those blue metal clips back on the Steeda lateral links? I ran into the same issue today and came across your thread.
And thanks btw for the write-up! I'm sure it has helped a lot of people myself included
Sponsored