Sponsored

For any one with a supercharger did you upgrade the oil pump gears?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
It's not anecdotal if you know people personally who've had them fail. I'm even friends with someone who had a set of boundaries fail. It's not some mythical unicorn.

And it's not like the evap core where if it goes, you just lose some feature and then spend money fixing just that system. When OPG's go, it usually wrecks a bunch of other stuff and puts the car down for an extended time.

Everyone is free to do as they will and manage whatever risks they recognize. Like I said, you have the motor open, it's almost stupid not to swap them. But I can see the resistance or roll of the dice if it's a stand alone venture.
You read my reply backwards my friend. The guys running around with stock parts and 700rwhp telling people it's NBD because, anecdotally, they haven't had a failure are who I'm talking about. I wasn't clear - I've had the MMR OPG and timing gear the whole time. I'm risk averse - so spending money on insurance was worth it to me and has shown itself to be very worthwhile.

My other question is my friend said I might want to change the actual oil pump too. Now I saw boundary made one for the 15-17 but not the 18. Is that even necessary? I’ve never heard any one really bothering to change the pump itself just the gears.
I don't think so. The stock housing has shown itself to be just fine.
Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
A dumb question, if you replaced the whole pump, do you still have to do the timing or is it just swapping?

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
My other question is my friend said I might want to change the actual oil pump too. Now I saw boundary made one for the 15-17 but not the 18. Is that even necessary? I’ve never heard any one really bothering to change the pump itself just the gears.
I did just the gears. The only reason I would recommend changing the pump (or at least the back part of it) is if you go with the Boundary Black gears. They recommend changing the backing plate if you go that route.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/b...15-2019-gt350-2015-2017-f-150-2020-gt500.html

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
A dumb question, if you replaced the whole pump, do you still have to do the timing or is it just swapping?
Yes you do, to take the oil pump out the timing chains have to come off.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride

Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Are these like slightly better OPG than the “regular” boundary gears? Also this clearly doesn’t include the crank gears.
Personally idk if I would bother with the black gears I haven't seen a single engine builder recommend them over the normal billet gears.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I didn't do the black gears. Maybe they're good for people who are road racing or something where the pump is always spinning fast and the oil is always hot. For me and probably most people, swapping the gears and leaving the pump alone is more than enough (especially since every single person with a blower and stock pump gears will tell you how they've made it this long so it must be ok).

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I bought the hurricane pump from MMR, simply because it was cheaper than buying the billet gears and a new OEM pump. Some guys replace the OEM pump when they swap because the plates gets scarred/grooved, so rather than get it all the way apart and discover I needed a new pump, I just bit the bullet and bought a new pump assembly. Not sure if it's gimmick and most likely would be fine with an unmodified pump but the hurricane and the upgraded boundary pump are supposed to flow better at higher rpm.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You read my reply backwards my friend. The guys running around with stock parts and 700rwhp telling people it's NBD because, anecdotally, they haven't had a failure are who I'm talking about. I wasn't clear - I've had the MMR OPG and timing gear the whole time. I'm risk averse - so spending money on insurance was worth it to me and has shown itself to be very worthwhile.

I don't think so. The stock housing has shown itself to be just fine.
Apologies. Yes I misunderstood. And yes, the whole "you'll be fine, I've been running a blower without them and just fine" is akin to someone saying "Life preservers are stupid, I've been 50 miles off shore a million times and never needed them."

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I look at it like this. OPG and Crank gears I get it. They get messed up you’re looking at catastrophic engine failure. Ok so just pay the money instead of worrying or later having to do it. But to me at that point if the pump fails it is what it is. It won’t mess the engine up right? You would just need a new pump. So you wouid have to spend a little money I guess if for some reason it goes. That’s the way it’s seems to me. Am I correct?

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I look at it like this. OPG and Crank gears I get it. They get messed up you’re looking at catastrophic engine failure. Ok so just pay the money instead of worrying or later having to do it. But to me at that point if the pump fails it is what it is. It won’t mess the engine up right? You would just need a new pump. So you wouid have to spend a little money I guess if for some reason it goes. That’s the way it’s seems to me. Am I correct?
no you are not correct. it's pretty much bye bye engine once the oil is not getting to it. by the time you realize the mess you're in, it's probably too late. so it's not the oil pump itself that is the issue. hence why everyone says it is "good insurance" to do the opg/cs.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I would say 99 times out of 100 when the pump goes the motor goes.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
You answered your own question in your statement (in red).

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You answered your own question in your statement (in red).
I know. I am saying I am changing the oil pump gears and the crank gears for peace of mind so I don’t get catastrophic engine failure of any sort. What I am asking is how common is it to also change the oil pump itself. Not just the gears. It seems very uncommon. Meaning it seems only necessary to change the gears while the oem oil pump itself people leave alone.
Sponsored