corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Might be nice to have and don't be offended by it's about one of the most useless things suggested in this thread - I swap wheels about 100 times a year, I never loosen the lugs on the front before the car is up and never ever use a brake depressor, neither anyone is holding the brake. Magic !!
Please don't say you're using an impact tool for anything more than initial snugging of the lug nuts.

Norm
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Might be nice to have and don't be offended by it's about one of the most useless things suggested in this thread - I swap wheels about 100 times a year, I never loosen the lugs on the front before the car is up and never ever use a brake depressor, neither anyone is holding the brake. Magic !!
That and the gloves, these rookies need gloves to pick their frigging noses.

LMAO

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So Ill jump in to the pissing contest LOL. so before this and my last car I was a total car novice as far as doing my own work. But there are enough you tube videos to make any one about an expert. Always watch three never go by just one because one never covers everything. Get some basic hand tools form your dealer of choice. I personally am on the anti harbor fright wagon. Solid had tools yes they are great and cheap from there any thing with moving parts or a motor or that your life depends on. Might want to get from somewhere else. as for specialty tools dont buy any when ever you need a tool for a job any local auto store generally has free loaner tools. I have gotten a exhaust cutter, torque wench ( before I bought a quality one NOT from harbor freight), spring compressor and so on all for free from auto store. Just take time and be informed first and you can do about 90 of your own car work. Hell now a days you can you your own computer and ecu work for the most part if you have the knowledge.

These new cars are made and designed for easy of assembly and therefore they come apart easily too. Nothing on then is very hard except maybe if you get inside the engine but then well you go other issues.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Personally the most used tool I recently purchased is the Quick Jack scissor lifts. So much easier than a floor jack and stand. Other than that, I'd say start with a good set of metric tools and certainly the torque wrench mentioned earlier. "Good and tight" isn't an option on these cars. There will always be another tool to buy as you go.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Im a car nerd I dont care haha offend away

How do you tighten the front wheels? Please dont tell me you put it on the ground first haha
Please don't say you're using an impact tool for anything more than initial snugging of the lug nuts.

Norm
Impact that gets me to about 90-100 lb-ft (and I know exactly where it gets me as you see) and then tighten with a torque wrench once car is down. I literally do it about 100 times a year, this month alone already took wheels off and put them on (not the same set every single time) about 20 times.

Of course I put the car on the ground, even manual tells you to final torquing on the ground, it's worth a read sometimes...
I honestly didn't know anyone that doesn't....

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Of course I put the car on the ground, even manual tells you to final torquing on the ground, it's worth a read sometimes...
I honestly didn't know anyone that doesn't....
Worked for a mechanic that always did so in the air. He was super picky and I never saw ppl doing it otherwise unless it was sloppy. Def take your word for it if hasn't been an issue that many times. I never use an impact it's once in a while so it's by hand. & i don't need to check the manual for something I've never had issues with, lighten up

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
First of all, I think this is a great thing you're doing. And you picked a great platform to do it on. The knowledge you will have gain from working on your car, and the enjoyment at the final result is totally worth it. You will learn things that you will remember for a lifetime.

As said by other, start small and work up to increasing difficulty as your confidence grows. Take your time, pay attention. I started off with just a floor jack, Husky jack stands, Husky 120 pc tool set, torque wrench and it helped me complete quite a few jobs. Also get an impact gun, trim removal toolset and ratcheting screwdriver set. Makes the easier jobs so much easier. Get a quality set of jackstands with a load rating much higher than the weight of the car.

Head on over to the suspensions forums when its time. Many knowledgeable guys over there who have done it and then some.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
My first Mustang was 2016 GT premium automatic. I started down the path of DIY performance package upgrades. Last year I returned it to stock and traded it in a 2019 GT performance pack automatic. It has 12 different features that were not even available on the 2016. I enjoyed modifying the first car. Now I am enjoying the new car that came track ready from the factory.

So here is my advice:
  1. Spend about $150 on wash and wax stuff to keep your car clean and protected. You want it to look great even while it's parked, right?
  2. Be careful what you wish for. If you trick it out for the track you may hate it as your daily driver. Been there done that. Now I drive stock performance pack springs and shocks but I swapped in GT350R sway bars. Still comfy driving down the street but stiffer when hard cornering.
  3. Good advice on tools from others. I like harbor freight. Their hand tools are solid, I have a lot of them since getting a Mustang.
  4. Buy your mod parts USED whenever possible. You will save about 50% this way. Don't like the mod after all? Sell it used for the same price as you paid!
  5. As suggested, start with easy and cheap mods. Like vinyl graphics, oil separator, hood struts, jack rails, chassis braces, etc.
  6. Suspension upgrade is harder. So join a local FB group to find others that will come and help you. I left a post-it on a nice Mustang across the street, and made a new friend who comes over to my garage to wrench on his car.
  7. Plan out your mods list and cost on a spreadsheet. You might not like the total. Ask yourself how much you might get if you decided to sell your car and if you are better off waiting to trade it for something that is more ready to go. After all, we tend to think "this is my last car" only to find we get something better. There is always something better...

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium (RIP) 2016 Mustang GT Premium
Congrats dude! I was in the same boat two years ago. Anyways not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, I only skimmed the thread, but I highly recommend a set of Rhino Car Ramps. They're about $40-$80 depending on where you buy them. It's not an insane lift but it's plenty to get under and start getting your hands dirty. If you do get these, keep them somewhere that won't get too hot or cold. There are stories of these ramps getting crushed by the car that's on them, only to find out the owner keep the ramps outside under 110 degree weather all the time :crackup:

My brother is a certified Ford tech so I take a lot of advice from him. Harbor Freight 3 ton jacks are great, and should be plenty for the Mustang. AVOID the Harbor Freight jack stands. INVEST in a good pair of jack stands, that's probably the only thing you should actually spend decent money on early on. Trust me you don't want to play with cheap jack stands. Pro tip, lift the car from the differential if you need to get underneath the back--if you have the car already on the ramps in the front, a second set of ramps (facing forward) can be used in the rear to get the car up in the air without the need for a lift. Again not super high in the air, but enough to possibly get things done.

Avoid cheap super too good to be true cheap tools. Unless you're in a shop you don't need Snap On, Duralast sets from AutoZone are pretty good for their price point. Also, don't plan on doing too much tool research, there's always going to be a horror story for EVERY brand. You have to realize everyone uses tools different and in different environments. For example, a shop tech that breaks a Craftsman racket or socket will always hate Craftsman, but then again Craftsman isn't intended to be used in a shop, it's a household tool. You get the picture.

As for power tools, again don't go too cheap. A good power tool when used right will last forever. My family has always been a Milwaukee family so that's all I use, but DeWalt is also excellent, I'll admit it. Definitely avoid Black and Decker or Craftsman for power tools, they're not bad in simpler environments they just won't last doing car work.

Pry tools for interior work, they're cheap and you can get them at Harbor Freight, you never know when you'll need them but you'll be glad you have them.

All in all, this forum is great, I rarely post but I read a lot and have learned a lot.
81kA5EC4PDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i started off like you as well. lots of good info here. dont run out and buy a million tools. just start with the more simple stuff and move up as you gain confidence and buy the tools you need for the job when you get there. with this site, youtube and a couple vendor install vids you can get a ton done for this car. you prob wont do something that hasnt been done already so just use the internet. forsure start with jacking rails they will save you an incredible amount of time and effort. take your time and enjoy the learning process. i spent a ton of time researching and reading anything and everything before i got started on anything.