Should i be concerned?! HELP

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
so I have a 2017 ecoboost running stage 1 cobb OTS tune with pdtuning gurgle tune. I have tuneplus gapped sparkplugs, k&N air filter and custom exhaust. My cobb AP lately has been making me worried tho. Today on the drive home 45mins in drive mode says I went 250hp max, 296 tq max, and here's where I get worried. Knock count cyl 3 0/16 and ign correction cyl 3 -2.25/8.00 and ign timing cyl 3 -13.41/51.96
Why ?
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
so I have a 2017 ecoboost running stage 1 cobb OTS tune with pdtuning gurgle tune. I have tuneplus gapped sparkplugs, k&N air filter and custom exhaust. My cobb AP lately has been making me worried tho. Today on the drive home 45mins in drive mode says I went 250hp max, 296 tq max, and here's where I get worried. Knock count cyl 3 0/16 and ign correction cyl 3 -2.25/8.00 and ign timing cyl 3 -13.41/51.96
Why ?
I don't have your answer but I would suggest you give Ryan a call. He would probably be your best first call.

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I did talk to Ryan a few days ago he said ut could be due to the hot weather and being that im still running stock intercooler? Could be but I don't know the mechanics as to how that effects the knock count or anything else . I did call cobb and they saud datalog and send it over to them and they'll be happy to look at it to see what's going on. Still worried though, I could always reflash back to stock tune but prefer not too. Like right now on the drive to work max knock was 2 or 3
I don't have your answer but I would suggest you give Ryan a call. He would probably be your best first call.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Sounds pretty normal honestly and this is one of the reasons I don't like off the shelf tunes. Could be anything. Plugs, bad gas, hot weather + stock intercooler. Datalog a pull and send it in, then stop boosting it until you get it sorted out. As good as Cobb is (I have their AP) I would never run their OTS tune. There's too much variance from motor to motor in these cars and they generally don't take well to one-size-fits all tunes from vendors. (The Ford tune is another story).

Upgrade that intercooler asap and spring for a pro-tune that's tailored to your specific car, mods, gas and climate. All of those problems you're seeing are usually ironed out in the initial tuning process.

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Why ?
I am definitely not an expert, but I will give you my opinion. For starters, I don't think it is worth monitoring the HP, TQ, and ignition timing. From what I have heard the HP and TQ aren't very accurate and actual ignition timing isn't important. Ignition corrections are much more important. I would replace those three PIDs with boost pressure, charge temps, and ignition corrections cyl 1. Plenty of people will say it isn't worth monitoring knock counts either. All turbocharged direct injection engines will knock and. That being said I still monitor knocks cyl 1 and cyl 3. I ran into a similar issue as you last year when I first got my Accessport. I was running similar mods and the Cobb stage 1 tune. I was just about home after a 400+ mile trip. I happened to look down at the Accessport and it showed 0/20 knocks on cylinder 3. I think the ignition corrections were somewhere around -4. I was very concerned something was wrong with the car. I reached out to Cobb and they had me send them a datalog. After reviewing it, they said it was fine. I was still a little worried and I contacted Ryan at PDtuning. After talking with him, I decided to go with a custom tune from him and upgraded the intercooler to a CVFab street version. Those two changes made the car feel a lot better. And since making those changes I have not seen a high knock count or large negative ignition corrections.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I am definitely not an expert, but I will give you my opinion. For starters, I don't think it is worth monitoring the HP, TQ, and ignition timing. From what I have heard the HP and TQ aren't very accurate and actual ignition timing isn't important. Ignition corrections are much more important. I would replace those three PIDs with boost pressure, charge temps, and ignition corrections cyl 1. Plenty of people will say it isn't worth monitoring knock counts either. All turbocharged direct injection engines will knock and. That being said I still monitor knocks cyl 1 and cyl 3. I ran into a similar issue as you last year when I first got my Accessport. I was running similar mods and the Cobb stage 1 tune. I was just about home after a 400+ mile trip. I happened to look down at the Accessport and it showed 0/20 knocks on cylinder 3. I think the ignition corrections were somewhere around -4. I was very concerned something was wrong with the car. I reached out to Cobb and they had me send them a datalog. After reviewing it, they said it was fine. I was still a little worried and I contacted Ryan at PDtuning. After talking with him, I decided to go with a custom tune from him and upgraded the intercooler to a CVFab street version. Those two changes made the car feel a lot better. And since making those changes I have not seen a high knock count or large negative ignition corrections.
Thanks for your reply ! I really do appreciate it. I just ordered a custom lifetime tune from Ryan at PD and he did also recommend to upgrade the intercooler so thats my next investment !

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for your reply ! I really do appreciate it. I just ordered a custom lifetime tune from Ryan at PD and he did also recommend to upgrade the intercooler so thats my next investment !
You're welcome. You will be very happy with Ryan's work. Any idea what intercooler you are going to get? I have been pretty happy with my CVFab street intercooler, but I have been thinking about pushing the car a little more. I may end up upgrading to their race version. If I had to do do it all over again, I would have gone with the race version to begin with. When I order mine, the race version was still in development and I didn't want to wait.

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
You're welcome. You will be very happy with Ryan's work. Any idea what intercooler you are going to get? I have been pretty happy with my CVFab street intercooler, but I have been thinking about pushing the car a little more. I may end up upgrading to their race version. If I had to do do it all over again, I would have gone with the race version to begin with. When I order mine, the race version was still in development and I didn't want to wait.
To be quite honest with you I haven't done much research yet but I will this weekend ! I will definitely look into the 2 you have mentioned and go from there.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Check the classifieds first. A used one will save you some cash and there's little downside to buying used as intercoolers are pretty much a lifetime part.
Sponsored