What is the engine failure rate?

My GT350 has a...

• Total voters

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I think the majority of users here will know if they have a Gen 1 or 2.
Hmmm, we also have to consider Gen 1 and Gen 1 ver 2.0. 2018 Voodoo engines got new ring and piston packs...but not the early ones...

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, we also have to consider Gen 1 and Gen 1 ver 2.0. 2018 Voodoo engines got new ring and piston packs...but not the early ones...
There are many variables for sure. One thing that got me thinking in regard to the link posted was that it accounted for approx 114 failures (cant remember off the top of my head) but dismissed replacements that weren't actual failures (e.g. excess oil consumption). If they considered it an engine replacement for other reasons, it was discarded. This end number was then compared to the total number of units sold vs the total number people polled (far lower number) so the results may actually be artificially low. I don't expect it to be any different here as I already know of one member that had an engine failure but didn't vote. I am curious if the numbers end up matching with the information on the other site however.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Poll means nothing. You will only get your percentage from those that belong to this forum or are on the internet. Theres numerous people that have/have not had engine problems that wouldn't even look for a poll on the internet.
I would echo this and actually debate to say that more owners with blown engines show up to this website for assistance and that may skew your numbers as well.

As for your poll, it does not account for for finite data... and yes, it’s very easy to distinguish between Gen 1 vs 2 without using model years as the break, to my knowledge, occurred during the 2019 MY.

IMHO, the poll needs the following:
Stock vs boosted/modified,
Home oil change vs dealer/auto shop.

Those two tidbits are good data points.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...and yes, it’s very easy to distinguish between Gen 1 vs 2 without using model years as the break, to my knowledge, occurred during the 2019 MY...
You're going by the updated cylinder block that FRPP refers to as "Gen 2" (M-6010-M52A)? Or do you mean the updated cylinder block that FRPP refers to as Gen 3 (M-6010-M52B)? Or are you referring to the updated cylinder heads that FRPP refers to as Gen 2 (M-6050-M52A)?

The generation concept is not as simple as it looks and that's was why I suggested going by model years - at least it's something we (and Ford) can all agree on. As someone else pointed out, piston and ring packs changed at least once, the oil filter changed, the oil filter cartridge changed, the fuel rails changed, and the list goes on. The idea that there are two generations - the new one and the old one like the generations of Coyote engines - is just wishful thinking.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
You're going by the updated cylinder block that FRPP refers to as "Gen 2" (M-6010-M52A)? Or do you mean the updated cylinder block that FRPP refers to as Gen 3 (M-6010-M52B)? Or are you referring to the updated cylinder heads that FRPP refers to as Gen 2 (M-6050-M52A)?

The generation concept is not as simple as it looks and that's was why I suggested going by model years - at least it's something we (and Ford) can all agree on. As someone else pointed out, piston and ring packs changed at least once, the oil filter changed, the oil filter cartridge changed, the fuel rails changed, and the list goes on. The idea that there are two generations - the new one and the old one like the generations of Coyote engines - is just wishful thinking.
Good point. I understand. Thanks for the enlightenment, and agree.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
Ever seen the engine failure rates on Ferrari's, Lambo's or McLarens?

I have. And its a LOT higher than the Voodoo failures.

Only when you buy one of the above from a dealer you sign an NDA and by the agreement you cannot discuss such failures or you can never own/lease one of the above again.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ever seen the engine failure rates on Ferrari's, Lambo's or McLarens?

Only when you buy one of the above from a dealer you sign an NDA and by the agreement you cannot discuss such failures or you can never own/lease one of the above again.
I don't believe this to be true and I'm not sure how it's supposed to mitigate issues people have from their 5.2s.

Sponsored

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
I don't believe this to be true and I'm not sure how it's supposed to mitigate issues people have from their 5.2s.
It is true.

And it isn't supposed to mitigate issues.

Mitigation is in Ford's hands and every problem will NEVER go away. And in today's world, attention is given to the issues. Right or wrong.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Poll means nothing. You will only get your percentage from those that belong to this forum or are on the internet. Theres numerous people that have/have not had engine problems that wouldn't even look for a poll on the internet.
This is my opinion only, but this is the correct response. Poll is useless much like election polls. Just ask Hillary.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
This is my opinion only, but this is the correct response. Poll is useless much like election polls. Just ask Hillary.
The poll is for this website. As with any poll, it's only as good as who is polled or who is reporting it. Thankfully, CNN isn't a part of this. lol

Harb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Went through one Gen 1 engine that was burning 4.5-6 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles and a Gen 2 engine that has seized with 1,200 miles on it. The 2020 Gen 2 engine was broken in as stated by Ford Performance and the 2020 owner's manual. Currently on my 2nd 2020 Gen 2 engine which has been working fine and have clocked 1,500 miles on it as of today. All engines were properly warmed up prior to driving, and no track days were done as of yet. While this car has given me multiple issues in the 10 months of ownership I still look forward to driving it daily.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
I think the majority of users here will know if they have a Gen 1 or 2.
^^^
How bout rather than speculate. U tell us.
Well....
tell me , as icant speak for anyone else..
what is Ur idea of production month/year thar separated gen 1 & gen 2. If u dont hav that date.
Then a model year will suffice.
For us dumbazz's that do not know what month/yr of production separated this imaginary boundary.
Thx
Regards
Sponsored