Sponsored

Can GT 350 center gauges be installed in a 17 GT PP1 Car?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Okay gang. I'm done. What I did with the gauges is remove them from the outer housing (just 4 tabs), so I could put the GT350 ones in my factory housing, which is perfect (and also with all the markings belonging to my car). I basically just changed the guts, so also kept the chrome trim piece with the lenses. The needles move freely from end to end (from 8 o'clock to 7 o'clock); they just needed to be pushed to their stops. They sit perfectly now, and both aligned the same. Crossing my fingers they work, because I absolutely don't want to do this again. Ha ha.

I found 2 out of the 3 lost clips, and was able to fish them out. One was damaged, but only needed one, so I'm good. But will look for the 3rd clip tomorrow, while also isolating a connector (attached to the center speaker bracket) that might be rattling too. Already took care of isolating the gauges, since they could move a little within the housing, making noise. And also when hitting the dash piece circles. They're rock solid now. Will scrutinize the cavity carefully before putting the piece back, for any other potential cause of a rattle, since again, don't want to ever have to remove this piece again. I'm surprised I didn't break the piece of plastic where the top of the little piece to the right of the glove box latches into. It uses a metal clip, and was a b*tch to remove. That's my only concern with the re-attachment of the dash piece: that it sits tight. We'll see.

Finally, is there a market for our stock oil pressure and vacuum gauges? If yes, how much can I get? Thanks gang. But yes, need to confirm the new gauges work first. Since it didn't occur to me to do it before installing them with the rubber isolators on the dash piece, will put the piece in its place, connect the gauges, but don't push any clips until I confirm both are working properly (including the lighting). Will put masking tape to hold it to the dash securely, so it doesn't fall off on me. Ha ha.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A final update. Finished the job today. Haven't driven the car, but turned ignition on, and both needles moved to the 'zero' position, and lights worked, so figure they should work fine. So went ahead and snapped the piece back in place. First inserted foam at 2 places that could make noise, then reinstalled it. The bummer was when I got to the final small piece at the right bottom of the glovebox. Just like I suspected, the stupid plastic where the top tab mounts to, permanently deformed when pulling the lower piece (it has a metal clip, so it's harder to pull). That flimsy part should have had a clip behind it, but it doesn't. So when I snapped the little piece, there was an awful gap. No way I could live with that, so removed it again, to investigate a solution. Attempted 4 layers of industrial double-sided tape, but didn't look like it was going to hold. So drilled and installed a little screw which finally did the trick. The hole ended up almost at the edge, but it was strong enough to withstand 3 more pulls because I didn't get it quite right. If I have to remove it again, would try to find something to make a bushing, so I don't have to do trial-and-error again with the screw. Oh, and also installed rubber spacers all around the 2 gauge circles, so the gauges themselves didn't make noise. In addition, the gauges make noise because the 'guts' have a bit of side to side play. I inserted a toothpick on the main alignment tab, and play disappeared. So that, along with the rubber isolators, finally made the gauges sit solidly on the trim piece. Car should be quiet now. At least I hope so. Ha ha. Hope this helps. And also hope the oil temp gauge is accurate. Somebody was going to post results when comparing it with an actual oil temperature gauge, since this one is just calculated.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
How difficult was it to swap the face trim? Is it glued on or does it screw on? I'd much rather have oil temp instead of vacuum.
It’s 2 screws. Comes right off.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It has THREE screws :D. The problem is finding a gauge pod now. For starters, they're back-ordered until late July, reportedly. But more disturbing is Ford is now asking for a $300 core deposit, in addition to the near $300 price (delivered), so not very attractive anymore. I went with a used one somebody posted from eBay, and just installed it yesterday. I gutted it, and transferred it to my housing (and with my chrome trim/lenses), so it's like if it came like that from the factory. Good luck finding one, but they're out there, so just be persistent.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought 2 sets on eBay. One is “not working” but excellent cosmetically. The other is working but has a big scratch on the lense. I paid $50 each.
My question is - is the lense attached to the chrome trim, and if not, by taking the chrome off, can the lense then be removed?
I apologize if this was addressed in a previous post but couldn’t find an exact answer.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I just bought 2 sets on eBay. One is “not working” but excellent cosmetically. The other is working but has a big scratch on the lense. I paid $50 each.
My question is - is the lense attached to the chrome trim, and if not, by taking the chrome off, can the lense then be removed?
I apologize if this was addressed in a previous post but couldn’t find an exact answer.
The lens is attached to the chrome trim. However, don't worry about it. Take the trim off your current gauge cluster, put it on the GT350 one, and go. The color of the chrome will be a perfect match that way.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
The lens is attached to the chrome trim. However, don't worry about it. Take the trim off your current gauge cluster, put it on the GT350 one, and go. The color of the chrome will be a perfect match that way.
Thanks

Gbk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I just purchased one from eBay for $300 supposed to be fully working, The fact that it won't work with the led colors is kinda lame.

After thinking about it more I might just sell it.
Sponsored